Author Topic: LPG conversion for gasoline engines  (Read 15818 times)

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
  • Auto-LPG equipped. Saving money since 2006.
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM

jel_s21

• View Profile
Re: LPG conversion for gasoline engines
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »
magkano naman ang paconvert nito? ilan km din ang pwede itakbo ng per L ng LPG? wala bang pagbabago sa performance? i mean kung bumagal ..?

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:23:23 AM »

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
Doing some computations:

auto-LPG @ P26.50/L
gasoline @ P45.00/L

If you have a carb engine...
Price for open-loop LPG conversion kit from Greenfuel = 18K
If your monthly gasoline bill is P4,000, you can achieve ROI in about 12 months.

If you have an EFI engine with metal intake manifold...
Price for open-loop LPG conversion kit with EFI emulator from Greenfuel = 20k
If your monthly gasoline bill is P4,300, you can achieve ROI in about 12 months.

If you have an EFI engine with metal intake manifold...
Price for closed-loop LPG conversion kit with EFI emulator from Coomate/Denso = 25k
If your monthly gasoline bill is P5,200, you can achieve ROI in about 12 months.
If your monthly gasoline bill is P3,600, you can achieve ROI in about 18 months.

If you have an EFI engine with plastic intake manifold...
Price for SGI LPG kit from Greenfuel = P39K
If your monthly gasoline bill is P8,000, you can achieve ROI in about 12 months.
If your monthly gasoline bill is P6,000, you can achieve ROI in about 18 months.
If your monthly gasoline bill is P4,000, you can achieve ROI in about 24 months.

Greenfuel Corporation
0922-8231270
email: [email protected]

Coolmate Corporation / DENSO
Tel: 8959540 or 8956587
email: [email protected]

Feeter Silverster

• cruise with me!
  • Hyundai Toyota Starex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
LPG fed cars were good nowadays for budget conscious people. Every car with gas fuel can convert their cars to run on LPG, very economical. Some says it's worth the cost.
But these goodies about the LPg were now haunted by rumors I heard. Maybe we can think of it as a rumor, but these past months, when I rode taxicabs, and ask the drivers curiously about what they think about the LPG on cars, the responses were shocking.
One time, I rode a taxi Avanza, the I asked if that is LPG converted, the driver told me that he don't want to use LPG fed taxi for daily routine. It got detrimental effect on the drivers health, he mentioned. The actual proof, as he continues to share, is his peer driver, that after driving LPG taxi since 2005, is now very ill of a pulmonary disease, and the doctor says that is an effect of driving LPG taxi.

After just 3 days, I have interviewed another taxi driver whose choosing a gas- fed car than LPG-fed car due to this same reason. He told me that his last check- up reveals some inflammation on air passage, even if he's not into smoking thing. He told me that he stays most of the tyime inside his taxi and the only break he opt were toilets, meals, repairs, and car wash.

The LPG converters say that their convertion kits were totally safe. And it is indeed very safe, for the prevention of fire.
But the effect is when the fumes circulate in the combustion system, and then the aircon could sip it's fumes and transport it inside the car cabin. Which in turn can be inhalated by our very precious lungs and pulmonary system.
Remember that LPG is colorless and odorless, and it's only upon the company discretion to add fumes to it in able to detect the presence of LPG on our air.

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »
@feeter

I would point out some inaccuracies in your post.

LPG itself may be odorless & colorless gas but the local supply used for auto-LPG is the same as used for household cooking.  That means a bad smelling chemical is added to the LPG fuel to help detect if there are any leaks from the system, big or small. 

I assume you might have taken the text from another site (since it sounds pretty familiar to me). If it was taken from another site, it would be best to post it in "quotes" and mention the source as well.

Many of the taxi cabs that were converted to use auto-LPG were old and badly maintained.  And others still has improperly tuned and adjusted LPG systems, usually done to increase the savings but at the risk of running the engine too lean.

I might also want to point out that a taxi driver is in an enclosed space for hours a day while he picks up people with unknown medical backgrounds.  Won't the possibility of getting infected by a sick passenger be a more probable reason why the driver has inflamed air passages (sore throat)? 

Another possible source of the dry throat is the airconditioning itself.  It might not be apparent to most people but the air in an airconditioned enclosed space will become become dryer as time passes since the A/C's evaporator will condense the water vapor in the air.  The net effect is similar to people flying in airplanes for long hours because the airplane's cabin air is also similiarly dry.  Most of us do not encounter this because we do not regularly drive our cars hours daily with the A/C always turned on.

The point is all of the stuff saying that the use of auto-LPG has some negative medical effects are more hear-say than anything else.  This is especially true when the real facts are not widely known.

Feeter Silverster

• cruise with me!
  • Hyundai Toyota Starex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 01:40:18 PM »
@ Ghosthunter:
 No, I didn't take it from any article or site, FYI. So it mens I've nothing to quote as well.
It's merely an interview from couple of taxi drivers who had a bad experience, or their family, friends, or peers having a bad experience, from using a LPG taxi.
Even if it's an isolated case, it could be dangerous and discouraging to others.
You're right, maybe it's a poorly calibrated cars, or poorly maintained LPG cars.
We can also blame the passengers (ill passengers from hospitals) and the prolonged exposure to poor aircondition of taxis that's why he got a pulmonary disease.
LPG may be good for the environment and the cars we use. I just want to emphasize that LPG is not 100% safe for the drivers and its passengers. May this serve as a warning or precaution to public.

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »
I just want to emphasize that LPG is not 100% safe for the drivers and its passengers. May this serve as a warning or precaution to public.

I would also like to stress that gasoline and diesel are just as not 100% safe or even more so in certain circumstances.  Your cellphone can be considered not 100% safe yet we use them everyday.  Even breathing the very air in Metro Manila can be considered not 100% safe, especially on a weekday.  So this also may serve as a warning or precaution to public.

I dunno, but doesn't that just sound pointless?  "Feeter", I apologize ahead if I would hurt your feelings (and start hating my guts like the rest of the TGP crew) but that is how it would come out, won't it?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:03:03 PM by GhostHunter »

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
Just in case...   :)

Here is a compiled list of some of the auto-LPG installers in the metro.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50159

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
I just want to emphasize that LPG is not 100% safe for the drivers and its passengers. May this serve as a warning or precaution to public.

Maybe if you can cite real world problems and NOT imaginary and hypothetical problems of auto-lpg...

I have been using it for nearly last two years. Other cars in my family has also converted to auto-lpg.  I would just want to ask you what is your actual experience with auto-LPG?  Hearsay from taxi drivers?

Quotes taken from taxi cab drivers who drive run down wrecks of a car is hardly a reliable source of health and safety.  Especially in the light that often they are the cause of certain "problems" like the cabin smelling of lpg, caused by the drivers themselves having the habit of removing the safety transparent seal on the lpg tank's gauge.  The same drivers who tinker with the auto-lpg settings and then later complain about LPG not giving enough power or having overheat problems.

al_motor

• Retro car...retro bike.
  • tricycles:15kmh of progress on the 100kmh highway
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
i'm moving to the LPG side soon too :)
Your car is only good for the days you can drive it.

Speed=Distance over time. The longer your car stays in the workshop, the slower it really is. :D

9hp  > 127hp

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »
Mazda3 1.6L auto-LPG conversion with "donut" LPG tank:

Bernard

• Forced to fISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
im also interested in LPG conversion since plano ko na mag upgrade to an SUV this year...though it's just a second hand unit. 1 time i rode a taxi na naka-LPG kit or whatever they call it.i asked him howmuch ang difference with and without.he said (this was lastweek lang) w/o LPG 1,800 siya per day and pag meron 1,400 naman. so that's a P400/day savings. BUT he drives a taxi meaning he's making hundreds of kms each day. so kung ako na 20-30 kms/day lang parang hindi malaking savings yun..

Q: pwede ba full-time naka-LPG? for exampl running stop and go traffic for 20 km with switchinh ON and OFF, just plain LPG power? may kanita kasi akong mazda tribute with LPG :).

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »
Q: pwede ba full-time naka-LPG? for exampl running stop and go traffic for 20 km with switchinh ON and OFF, just plain LPG power? may kanita kasi akong mazda tribute with LPG :).

You can use LPG all the time.  Our cars are basically using LPG most of the time.  The SGI systems only use gasoline when the engine starts and warms up, after that, its LPG.  For my corolla which uses a more basic venturi system, I can use LPG even when starting (but it would take about two cranks before the engine starts on LPG).

cute_ako

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
mag kano po ba mag pa convert ng LPG sa Revo na 1.8 EFI at 2.0 EFI?