Author Topic: 7 Seater Diesel SUV  (Read 6519 times)

bvnzn

• View Profile
7 Seater Diesel SUV
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:50 AM »
I need advise on which 7 seater diesel suv to buy: hyundai santa fe, kia sorrento, or toyota fortuner. Which of the three is better?

Out of the three my heart goes to the hyundai santa fe. Malaki ba maintenance cost ng santa fe compared sa toyota? balita ko kasi very heavy on maintenance ang toyota eh and service isnt that good either.

ang prob lang kasi sa hyundai ay resale value pero hopefully in 3-5years time tataas din value niya since mabilis na rin ang benta ng hyundai dito sa Phil.

need advise especially on costs (diesel, maintenance, parts) after 3-5 years time.

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
Re: 7 Seater Diesel SUV
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
May I ask which fortuner you are eyeing, the 2.5 diesel or the 3.0 diesel? 4x4 or 4x2?

bvnzn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
actually im not eyeing on the fortuner, im eying on the santa fe. but if ever the 2.5 4x2 A/T diesel ksi budget ko is 1.5m.

kinokonsider ko lang maintenance ng toyota if it has the advantage or disadvantage or the same lang with the hyundai. i dont really mind about the resale value of the hyundai ksi i plan to keep it for years and hopefully tumaas resale value by the time i do plan to sell it.

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
Among your three choices, I would recommend the Sta Fe, even in the current gen, it is a performer.

Maintenance wise, I'm surprised to hear you say the Fortuner would be more expensive to maintain? If it is a diesel, it should more or less be the same. And if it is a korean car, replacing the battery would most likely mean replacing it with a Korean battery.

Before in our Old Carens, we needed to change the battery and since it was a brand not sold locally except through the dealer, we purchased it through Kia. It was a shocking sticker price of 10,000php for the battery.

I understand you can get a local equivalent battery for this but as was advised by technical persons, if you want to prolong your alternator, you stick with the same brand and model of the battery so the rate of discharge is the same throughout its life.

I am not sure if the current Sta Fe and Sorento uses already a locally sourced battery so that is something to consider as well.

You will have a cheaper maintenance regiment if you use a gasoline fed engine compared to a diesel. This is just for info.

If you are comparing the Fortuner to the Sta Fe, then you would just spend a bit more for the synthetic engine oil of the Fortuner because it is 2.5 as opposed to the Sta Fe 2.2.

As for resale value, if you really plan to keep for a long time (beyond 5 years) then the difference is negligible.

Based on my experience, the Koreans have 2 major quirks that you may experience within the 3 year period. That is a suspension problem (tatagtag kaagad at kelangan palitan) and also a turbo problem (will need replacement if it is your regular vehicle). If these two would be the problem, they usually take around 3 weeks minimum to have the part ready. Both are covered by warranty though.

Have friend whose Sta Fe had a repeated Stereo problem because it is no longer an OEM part from Hyundai once it is sold here in our shores. It is already an aftermarket part from Winterpine. It's a case to case basis for the entertainment unit though so it is not always the case.

Hope this at least helps in additional info for you.

But among your choices, I would really love the Sta Fe. Check more with other owners on their take on after sales service performance because it is the biggest question mark I had that could not be clearly answered when we decided to purchase a diesel SUV. Too many factors were at play already so steered away from Korean cars already. But that's just us last year.

Sta Fe is also clearly very fuel efficient if that is one of your considerations. =)

Cheers!

bvnzn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
Very helpful and I thank you very much.

What I meant about the Fortuner is that because it is a Toyota, it will need to go to the service shop more often within a span of 3-5 years. I didnt mean that it would be expensive, just very often it needs to be serviced. I have friends who have Toyotas for 2-3years who have problems with aircons and filters because of the extreme heat of our country.

I would rather have the Hyundai be 'matagtag' in 3-5 years rather than have it matagtag now like the fortuner.hehe

Anyways, I really am considering the Santa Fe due to its performance. Even though in 3 years time the suspension may be affected at least it'll be covered by warranty and hopefully Hyundai has better and lasting suspensions installed on their current units.

The Fortuner Im considering is very underpowered for an SUV with only 102 horsepower according to the spec sheet so I could scratch that off my list.

Thank you for the info. Very helpful in deed.

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
Well if it is ride comfort you are after, then Fortuner is not that good at keeping it comfortable. If you want to make the suspension comfortable, a friend of mine recommends replacing the whole suspension of the vehicle with the suspension of the Prado. But again, it is additional cost.

Yup, the Sta Fe appears to be the car for you, not sure it the Sorento is your cup of tea, personally preferred the look of the previous Sorento than the current want. Felt more upscale for me yet keeping it simple and thus ages very well. =)

Service wise, I do not understand though why your friends have problems with their AC though. I have a hunch why and it is because they do not have it cleaned every 20,000kms. I would assume the system is pretty much the same where in a filter might have been clogged with dirt and grime and the suction of the ac is not as adequate and therefore, the AC is not cool. It's a maintenance regimen that I actually only recently found out so I request it now with all our vehicles when we drop it off in the "casa" at the said interval.

As for the filter, they could purchase a better air filter so it won't clog or let particulates pass through the air filter. It might be considered an aftermarket update but I see no harm if you really want to be sure.

But the 2.5 Dsl really is underpowered, I really hoped they could at least release the VnT diesel to up the power to around 150 from 102 but sadly that's not the case.

Good luck in your purchase sir and you surely can't go wrong with your choice. =)

bvnzn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »
Thank you once again for your support.

The Toyota Fortuner is really out of the question now therefore Im decided with the Santa Fe.

The Sorento is actually 200k more than its similar sister Santa Fe and there aren't a lot of service stations of Kia that's why I opt for the Santa Fe. Oh and there's a new Hyundai dealer in EDSA near from where I live so the convenience of service for Hyundai went up for me. My fiance wanted the Sorento so I had to convince her otherwise.

I just found out that my friend doesn't service his car at the 'casa' very often and rather goes to other services like Shell. Turns out, they didn't check his filters and A/C that's why it failed on him recently. But he does complain about the A/C being weak even when it was new especially with the Philippine heat added with pollution.

Looks like Im getting a new Santa Fe by next month! Thanks again for the support!   

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »
you can't go wrong with the santa fe sir!

just to remind that after highspeed driving or accelerating up to high rpms remember to cool down the turbo for atleast 2minutes before shutting down the engine. Failing to do so leads to expensive turbo repair/replacement.

Another tip, most hyundai casa isn't known for good aftersales service so better choose 1 of these dealers - hyundai quezon ave, hyundai commonwealth,hyundai e.rod,hyundai greenhills or hyundai pasig. Although there were some reported problems in these service centers, they're a lot better compared to others
member: Elantra Pinas
cvvt/d-cvvt/ird-e/i-vtec/iForceVVT-i/re-vgt/Ti-VCT

bvnzn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:16:57 AM »
Thank you for the great tip maranello!

It's a good thing the new Hyundai Greenhills in EDSA is close to where I live so the convenience of service goes up dramatically.

About the turbo, when will such problem occur? Will it occur within 3-5 years or sooner? Just need to prepare because turbos can be expensive and parts for Hyundai are a bit steep.

bvnzn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
Oh and are there better alternatives other than 'casa' for maintenance and repairs for Hyundai?

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »
pitstop along qave i know sells a few hyundai models. they also do maintenance work. i dont know what other people recommend though.

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 02:35:09 AM »
Thank you for the great tip maranello!

It's a good thing the new Hyundai Greenhills in EDSA is close to where I live so the convenience of service goes up dramatically.

About the turbo, when will such problem occur? Will it occur within 3-5 years or sooner? Just need to prepare because turbos can be expensive and parts for Hyundai are a bit steep.

it usually occurs if the owner fails to take care of it, the reason for this is that the turbo blades keeps on spinning even if you shut down the engine after a highspeed run and because there's no oil lubricating the turbo it leads to turbo failure especially if done very often. You can install aftermarket turbo timers to minimize the hassle of waiting for the turbo to cooldown. The turbo isn't likely to fail within 5years if given proper care.

you can check out maspro and hyukizu in old banawe, they're selling parts and accessories for korean cars
member: Elantra Pinas
cvvt/d-cvvt/ird-e/i-vtec/iForceVVT-i/re-vgt/Ti-VCT