Author Topic: ChevyTrailblazer vs. hyundai santafe vs. montero sport.(top of the line variant)  (Read 17967 times)

Chester05

• View Profile
which is better?
rank according to the following:

1. ride and comfort

2. engine performance(power, speed, acc.,ect..)

3. interior space

4. suspension( handling,cornering,etc..)

Brentot_22

• Toyota Motors Loyalist
    • View Profile
For me,Iwill go for the Traiblazer,because I like the look of it :)

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
I would go for the Trailblazer.

Montero is only bang for buck at the low side of the sub 1.5m php price range. But once you go up to sub 2 million  price range, I don't think it is a bang for buck choice anymore. Heck, I even think it would be an expensive choice for what you actually just get.

The Sta Fe, I have always loved it. Price was a barrier for me and the durability against what it is subjected to locally. As such, eventhough I would personally love it as my own ride, once things start breaking down, it would be a lot of headaches and long waiting times for it to come out from the casa all shiny again.

d.lake

• View Profile
with your requirements, sta fe is the much favorable. the cons is it's very very expensive. and dont get it from HARI

trailblazer is worth to look and wait for.

montero's advantage is after-sales (compared to the other 2. of course not all dealers, but majority) and parts.

dtkiko

• View Profile
The Monterosport should NOT even be here in this comparo!

The powerplant in that thing is just a PRETENDER - lumang makina (1990's pa) na sinalpakan lang ng  VGT na INIWAGAYWAY na ng Mitsubushi sa madlang people na animo'y kala mo sila nag-imbento ng Variable Geometry Turbocharger bwahehe.... Abah, abah, ang dami naman naniwalang Juan dela Cruz hehe....

niky

• Clutch Monkey
    • View Profile
So... what's wrong with the Montero engine?

It makes 178 hp. It kicks ass on the drag-strip. And it actually hustles around town, too (it's not all high end).

The 4D56 architecture may be old, but until the Trailblazer and new Everest come out, it's currently the best engine in the "cheap" SUV class.

(The Santa Fe is not an SUV. It's a crossover.)
Automobilis Horriblis

d.lake

• View Profile

The powerplant in that thing is just a PRETENDER - lumang makina (1990's pa) na sinalpakan lang ng  VGT na INIWAGAYWAY na ng Mitsubushi sa madlang people na animo'y kala mo sila nag-imbento ng Variable Geometry Turbocharger bwahehe.... Abah, abah, ang dami naman naniwalang Juan dela Cruz hehe....

e ano naman? malakas naman talaga yung nilagyan nila ng VGT e. at isipin mo rin, wala siyang issues regarding its engine. so ano ngayon kung luma?

Bhosxjoel_22

• View Profile

I think you're right,my brother-in-law's monty is smoke belch car and ang ingay pa ng makina nya unlike sa fortuner na quiet lang.

17Sphynx17

• View Profile

I think you're right,my brother-in-law's monty is smoke belch car and ang ingay pa ng makina nya unlike sa fortuner na quiet lang.

The smoke belching issue is relating to how the driver uses the vehicle. If your routine is reving it hard all the time, then you will really emit dark grey/black soot/smoke. Try just running it/coasting it around 1500-2000rpm and not revving it hard beyond 2000rpm when you really don't need to, you will see a difference, both in fuel economy and the "belching" problem.

Also, about the noise, both the Fortuner and Montero are noisy. It just so happens that when the Montero is run from a cold-start (meaning its engine temp is cold from the get go), the engine is much noisier. Try turning it off mid trip and turning it on again, the noise level is different and the response is as well.

If you want a quiet diesel, the Koreans have the engine. Their is more "refined" in that regard of engine "noise" levels. The americans, in general, have better sound insulation but it weighs the vehicle down a bit. This is against counterparts of other brands available locally.

So basically "pick your poison" as they say.

Oh, and as a fellow Monty owner, if it is too noisy, maybe he misses his PMS or takes too long to have his serviced. every 5k kms, 15k kms, etc etc, you need to top up. Also, during every interval of 20k which counts as heavy, you are given a fuel line cleaner which you should feed into the fuel tank when it contains 40L or more FYI.

dtkiko

• View Profile

THANKS heaps chief!

If it's not much of a trouble, kindly tell those two gents that preceded your post that the boss (bhosxjoel) is always right haha!

Brentot_22

• Toyota Motors Loyalist
    • View Profile
 ;D.....ahahahaha :D

Chester05

• View Profile
hey guys, is it really true that hyundai cars(specifically the santa fe) are problematic after 5,6,7 years?.
 any comments from santa fe owners.

dtkiko

• View Profile
Is the Chevy's Duramax-dubbed engine a complete descendant of the Isuzu's architectured diesel Duramax during the days of the GM-Isuzu North American merger, or is it an entirely new engine designed by VM Motori Italia?

Does it run using the Isuzu-signature timing gear-and-chain, or does it run like all the others, except some Nissan diesels and Suzuki gasoline-fed, in timing belts?

Chester, if you want a real off-road capable SUV (or compact SUV) with a monocoque body that has an integrated ladder-frame chassis that is not outrigged but "tucked-in" and it pumps out 230-hp, runs in maintenance-free timing chain, and cost only PhP 1.7M to order straight from Japan, then get the Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 VVT. Try asking Suzuki Pasig if interested....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:58:21 AM by dtkiko »

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
Its hard to give verdict for now since the trailblazer and santa fe just got launch very recently.

I have the chance to test drive the all new santa fe premium and gls 4x2 and it is very quiet even outside where you will faintly hear the diesel engine rumble. The ride comfort and handling is akin to an executive sedan, absorbing bumps without transferring harsh jolts unlike a fortuner's ride and maneuvering reflexes which is very good for a tall crossover. For the space, the new santa fe offers gobs of interior room except for the 3rd row which is more cramped than the previous gen santa fe. Engine power is forceful, a slight dip on the right pedal translates into neck snapping acceleration.

For the montero sport, most probably it has the smallest interior room (I have to sample the new trailblazer to confirm this). as of now the ride quality is the best among ladder-frame pick up based SUVs. Maneuverabilty is good however the Montero Sport leans more due to softer suspension set-up. Power delivery is strong (we own the recently phased out 3.2 gls se) for the  VGT equipped engine.  Like most modern diesels, it has a tendency to smoke when floored down but with proper maintenance, you can keep the montero sport from being a smoke belcher.

I have to pass for the trailblazer as of now since I still have to drive and experience it before I could give any judgments.
member: Elantra Pinas
cvvt/d-cvvt/ird-e/i-vtec/iForceVVT-i/re-vgt/Ti-VCT

Chester05

• View Profile
@dtkiko: im not really into off-roading. just want to know others opinion with those car. my father actually gave me a ford explorer 2.0,  since im only a student even with the eco boost, it still hurts my allowance. I plan on selling it when i saw the new hyundai santa fe, but i was having second thought when i saw this upcoming chevy trailblazer.