Author Topic: ChevyTrailblazer vs. hyundai santafe vs. montero sport.(top of the line variant)  (Read 17963 times)

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
The Monterosport should NOT even be here in this comparo!

The powerplant in that thing is just a PRETENDER - lumang makina (1990's pa) na sinalpakan lang ng  VGT na INIWAGAYWAY na ng Mitsubushi sa madlang people na animo'y kala mo sila nag-imbento ng Variable Geometry Turbocharger bwahehe.... Abah, abah, ang dami naman naniwalang Juan dela Cruz hehe....

sir dtkiko hangang ngayon ganyan pa din pala pagkakaintindi mo sa advertisement nila   :-[ :-[
The engine has been reworked mind you, yes it is still the good old 4d56 but enhanced to help it meet the regulations and demands of the changing times. The previous design utilizes rotary distributor type while the modern version with common rail uses direct injection so even if the platform is still the 4d56 the execution is different.

I've never seen any advertisement of mitsubishi that they are claiming to invent the VGT technology its just  that they are proud to say that they equip the 4d56 with the said tech. Hyundai and Kia also indicate VGT in their advertisements with the recent addition of toyota since  they are now using the tech for the 2.5 d4d variants.
member: Elantra Pinas
cvvt/d-cvvt/ird-e/i-vtec/iForceVVT-i/re-vgt/Ti-VCT

dtkiko

• View Profile
Yup sir Maranello, boy it does meet regulatory requirements, I can see that very well ---- Kaya nga mausok eh hehehehe....

That old 4D56, regardless of it mated with a common-rail and an EGR, would still need a diesel particulate filter (soot filter) at the tail-end just so to comply really well.... The suggestion of not to pummel the accelator pedal just so you don't see the USOK is just a cosmetic.... At lalong hihina pa yan once a DPF is fitted (lalo na pag puno na ito ng soot) kaya nga hindi nilalagyan yan ng ganyan yan for the Philippine-issue Monterosport....

Mataas na ang PhP800,000 para sa Monterosport.... Hehe

dtkiko

• View Profile
@dtkiko: im not really into off-roading. just want to know others opinion with those car. my father actually gave me a ford explorer 2.0,  since im only a student even with the eco boost, it still hurts my allowance. I plan on selling it when i saw the new hyundai santa fe, but i was having second thought when i saw this upcoming chevy trailblazer.

Good point! Not into offroading, even soft-type offroads, so you are....

Then, you will certainly fall-in-love with the Santa Fe! Heck, even its small brother, Tucson IX35, for that matter.... All of my friends who own the Fe and Tucson rave about their rides.

The Fe "might" even be refined than the soon to come Trailblazer for that matter, but you better see and test drive both to really be sure that you're doing the right decision.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:19:45 PM by dtkiko »

niky

• Clutch Monkey
    • View Profile
Yup sir Maranello, boy it does meet regulatory requirements, I can see that very well ---- Kaya nga mausok eh hehehehe....

That old 4D56, regardless of it mated with a common-rail and an EGR, would still need a diesel particulate filter (soot filter) at the tail-end just so to comply really well.... The suggestion of not to pummel the accelator pedal just so you don't see the USOK is just a cosmetic.... At lalong hihina pa yan once a DPF is fitted (lalo na pag puno na ito ng soot) kaya nga hindi nilalagyan yan ng ganyan yan for the Philippine-issue Monterosport....

Mataas na ang PhP800,000 para sa Monterosport.... Hehe

Does it pass emissions? Yes? Do all of them smoke? No? The MS only suffers from smoke belching due to diesel contamination of the EGR. Which is not something limited to Mitsubishi alone, as Nissan and Hyundai also suffer from it. I've driven several, and only one smoked, but after an "italian tune-up", the smoke went away.

-

However much you dislike it, and despite its flaws (small interior, slow steering), the MS is still the best seven seat ladder frame in its class. It was the best back when it had the weakest engines (the old 135 hp 4D56T and the disappointingly slow-to-rev 3.2 DiD), and even if the Fortuner catches up with the Monty in on paper specs now, the Monty is still the more complete package.
Automobilis Horriblis

dtkiko

• View Profile

Does it pass emissions? Yes? Do all of them smoke? No? The MS only suffers from smoke belching due to diesel contamination of the EGR. Which is not something limited to Mitsubishi alone, as Nissan and Hyundai also suffer from it. I've driven several, and only one smoked, but after an "italian tune-up", the smoke went away.

However much you dislike it, and despite its flaws (small interior, slow steering), the MS is still the best seven seat ladder frame in its class. It was the best back when it had the weakest engines (the old 135 hp 4D56T and the disappointingly slow-to-rev 3.2 DiD), and even if the Fortuner catches up with the Monty in on paper specs now, the Monty is still the more complete package.

Still, it can't be farther from the truth sir idol Niky hehe....

The Monterosport should NOT even be here in this comparo!

The powerplant in that thing is just a PRETENDER - lumang makina (1990's pa) na sinalpakan lang ng  VGT na INIWAGAYWAY na ng Mitsubushi sa madlang people na animo'y kala mo sila nag-imbento ng Variable Geometry Turbocharger bwahehe.... Abah, abah, ang dami naman naniwalang Juan dela Cruz hehe....

I think you're right,my brother-in-law's monty is smoke belch car and ang ingay pa ng makina nya unlike sa fortuner na quiet lang.

And whether it be an SUV or a CUV, or however you wanna put it, still the Santa Fe will stomp the Monterosport in handling and engine, package-wise, kahit pa may nakasulat na "GT-V" sa Monty at walang nakasulat na e-VGT sa Santa Fe haha!

Mataas na PhP800,000 sa Monterosport hehe....

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:39:24 PM by dtkiko »

niky

• Clutch Monkey
    • View Profile
Still, it can't be farther from the truth sir idol Niky hehe....

That's your opinion. That's all either of us really have, an opinion. Because there's no objective metric for "best" SUV.

But I think two straight class wins in the Philippine Car of the Year for the Montero Sport points towards the Montero at least being better than the other crude ladders in its class. PCOTY is voted upon by over twenty motoring journalists based on back-to-back driving testing. This is then combined with performance testing which rates vehicles' power, braking and emergency handling. Unlike some awards, this isn't a popularity contest, but a quality contest.

And whether it be an SUV or a CUV, or however you wanna put it, still the Santa Fe will stomp the Monterosport in handling and engine, package-wise, kahit pa may nakasulat na "GT-V" sa Monty at walang nakasulat na e-VGT sa Santa Fe haha!

The Santa Fe is, indeed, superior in every way. But it's not an SUV, it's a crossover.

-

BTW... no plans of re-registering at tsikot? :D :p Nice to see you again... hehehe.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:14:14 PM by niky »
Automobilis Horriblis

dtkiko

• View Profile
That's your opinion. That's all either of us really have, an opinion. Because there's no objective metric for "best" SUV.

But I think two straight class wins in the Philippine Car of the Year for the Montero Sport points towards my opinion being more in line with the majority. PCOTY is voted upon by over twenty motoring journalists based on back-to-back driving testing. This is then combined with performance testing which rates vehicles' power, braking and emergency handling. Unlike some awards, this isn't a popularity contest.

When Filipinos do shootouts comparo, i don't really believe nor dwell in them to be honest. i don't decide idol Niky based on shootouts, moreso if it had been conducted by Pinoys.... Different folks, different strokes.

But the truth is the 4D56 is still an old engine of 1990's mated only with a VGT as always reiterated.... I have always been here to say what is true NO MATTER how people dislike it, as long as it's the PLAIN TRUTH.... No BUT's and IF's, just the plain darn truth....

The Santa Fe is, indeed, superior in every way. But it's not an SUV, it's a crossover.

And yes, we have a Santa Fe.

YOU JUST PROVE MY POINT yet again.... It is indeed superior than the Monty in every way regardless of it being a crossover, it's still a 7-seater that is worthy to be noted. Heck, it's even a standout and will stomp the Monty no matter how Mitsubishi Philippines wants to pit it against the CATBIRD of the current 7-seater in power-and-handling department, that is the Santa Fe.

The thread starter kid is not into offroad, but even if the Monty can be made into an offorader, still the thread starter won't be into offroading. Besides the Monty will be stomp in everyway when it comes to real or hardcore offroad by the Suzie Grand Vitara 4x4's, no doubt, and as proven.... Even just a Jimny will do better.

We have a Montysport by the in laws. No, we don't have a Fe but rather a Sorento as a family. But what i really owned by the looks from my signature below, or that came out from my pocket, not from the combined wifey's money and mine, are only the two cars (the GV in Australia and the Dmax in Philippines)....

d.lake

• View Profile
sir dtkiko, are you d_mac on the other forum?  ;D

fortis

• View Profile
I am not sure why that guy hates the MS so much. Well I am no lover of the MS, Fort or Fe nor am I an expert in giving opinions. But with the number of MS we see everyday isn't that enough of a proof that the MS is the better vehicle than the Santa Fe?

Yes the 4d56 is old and a dinosaur but that doesn't mean that it sucks. Its not just about the engine but the overall performance and dynamics of a SUV. Have we forgotten about the following when comparing cars?

1. Handling
2. Comfort
3. Reliability
4. Utility
5. Ruggedness
6. Looks
7. Maintenance Cost
8. Badge (which I think is still being considered by many Filipino buyers, remember that Mitsubishi has already established their name here in our country)
9. Features

niky

• Clutch Monkey
    • View Profile
That's d mac or d maxiado, that's just his pet peeve.

Truthfully, the Santa Fe is superior in every metic to the Montero Sport except for off-roadability. The Montero Sport's fantastic sales are partially due to brand and model perception, as well as price. Not to say it's a bad car... As I said, it's currently the best of the rather crude crop of ladder frame SUVs in the price range. But for most buyers, the Santa Fe will do what they need.
Automobilis Horriblis

d.lake

• View Profile
kaya pala.... matagal ko na napansin e. case close, i will not argue with its sta fe as the best pick up. hahaha :D

with the philippine market, number 1 ang price. kahit anong ganda ng gamit, mahihirapan yan kung hindi afford (not all, as the case of apple products :D) kaya number 1 overall ang vios. at number 1 sa SUV ang montero at 2nd ang fortuner because of the price. tingnan mo mga display ng cellphone, usually hindi nilalagay ang price. kasi para hindi ma-turn off ang tao sa price. kasi yung iba pag nag-wwindow shopping, tinatanggal na nila sa paningin nila ang mga mamahalin. do you get it already or dmaxiado?

sta fe is really a nice car. actually hyundai mismo. sarap idrive kahit starex e. comfortable pa. but with its price tag, nauungusan sila ng mas mura. lalo na ngayong 3rd gen, mas mahal pa sa previous

dtkiko

• View Profile
Truthfully, the Santa Fe is superior in every metic to the Montero Sport except for off-roadability. The Montero Sport's fantastic sales are partially due to brand and model perception, as well as price. Not to say it's a bad car... As I said, it's currently the best of the rather crude crop of ladder frame SUVs in the price range. But for most buyers, the Santa Fe will do what they need.

Yan idol Niky, ganyan dapat sinasabi totoo hindi kino-conceal! ;D Pag ganyan usapan,  magkakasundo tayo hehe  ;D

The Montysport's being No. 1 in sales of SUV's doesn't mean it's the best package-wise. It reflects entirely how a nation is, and the choices/decisions/capabilities of its citizenry.... As such, Pinoys are always a product of perception, and ever been more dependent to it, that's why just a mere tad of such advertisement say from Mitsubishi, they already believe it without question nor scrutiny on things, not only concerning cars - a poor perception indeed, from the choice of cars to everything as such it is No. 1, and indeed No. 1 too amongst lawless elements like carnapping etc....

From the choice of cars that goes No. 1 to everything up to politics down to economic decisions (there is not even one original Pinoy manufacturing industry here in the Philippines, Philippines is basically just a trading country and will always be dependent only on trading not maufacturing ahahay).... And when you look at the current state of Philippines, hay, Lupang Hinirang talaga.

You go out of Philippines, even make a peer view at neighbouring ASEAN countries and elsewhere, the Mitsubishi so-called Monterosport with the old 1990's engine na sinalpakan lang ng VGT at iniwagayway na ng Mitsu sa madlang Filipino na animo'y inimbento ang VGT at madaming ng naniwala, it's no longer No. 1. Besides, Mitsubishi doesen't even belong to the Top 10 world's largest companies in the world, buti pa ang Hyundai-Kia conglomerate up in the shining Top 5.

Cheers idol!

niky

• Clutch Monkey
    • View Profile
When you're talking the local market, buyers have very specific requirements.

Obviously, AUV buyers could get a much better MPV for the money... or a better car... but they don't. Because AUV buyers want AUVs.

In which case, if they ask what the best AUV is, you'd obviously say: Innova... because the Adventure and Crosswind are ancient and the much-better Fuzion doesn't come in diesel.

If they want a seven-seat ladder frame, there are very few choices. For these people, a Santa Fe doesn't work, because they want something more rugged.

Amongst the current crop of seven-seat ladders, so far, the Montero Sport is the most comfortable. Whatever the engine specs. (And the engine is impressive, despite the not-inconsiderable turbo lag).

This is, of course, until the Trailblazer becomes available and we can assess whether it's as good as the Montero or better. Probably better, but we don't know yet.
Automobilis Horriblis

Brentot_22

• Toyota Motors Loyalist
    • View Profile
Yung Monty ng brother-in-law ko ang ingay sa loob kapag nadaan sa lubak,parang may pumupukpok or parang may kumakalatok and ayoko ng ganun kaya I chose Fort...... :D

dtkiko

• View Profile
If they want a seven-seat ladder frame, there are very few choices. For these people, a Santa Fe doesn't work, because they want something more rugged.

Although any CUV can do offroading up to certain extent, of course. Realistically, it's not true that you can't bring a CUV like the Santa Fe, CRV, Rav 4, X-Trail, Escape etc etc into offroading. That's just not true  ;)

Amongst the current crop of seven-seat ladders, so far, the Montero Sport is ARGUABLY the most comfortable.

Adding the word "arguably" is better in describing it. Some people like it, some people no. Some find the Alterra better, while others the Hilux.

Whatever the engine specs. (And the engine is impressive, despite the not-inconsiderable turbo lag).

C'mon Niky, i know you understood this very well, you as a techy car guy.... PUHUNAN ng old 4D56 platform is the high-boost mechanical VGT installed on it, not downright displacement.... It is all because of "boosting" alone, plus of course, it revs freely, as relatively it is a "short-stroke" diesel engine.... Come the time na masira yang turbocharger nito or kahit maka-sustain lang ng pin-hole size na hole, babalik sa 130 horses ang power nito, or even less, since the non-VGT version of this comes with a wastegate turbo.

The lag is considerable below 2000 rpm and you know this, as much as I know this, or until the turbo starts to spool.... But like i said, it revs freely though, revs freely than the bigger 3.0-litre Alterra and Fortuner (the Alterra is a slow revver bceause it's engine is a long-stroke), that's why there is this "perceived" good power even when the major factor is as we know it comes from "boosting."

Even the smaller 2.2-litre 3rd-gen CRDi with 3rd-gen turbocharger (e-VGT) like the Santa Fe and Sorento, they are also guilty of boosting, only that theirs is more sophisticated just like those of the Germans where some are direct results of bi-turbocharging, that's why they climb the charts in peak hp output.

If there is ONE THING that i can really give KUDOS about Mitsubishi, it is the fact that they have this vision to give the best to the consumer market, as much as they can.... We see that they improved the old 4D56 by mating it with good turbocharging, and adapting a commonrail distribution system to it. Thus, they are reaping the rewards of their desire to offer the best available, as much as they can even with their current old model engine.... No doubt about it, MASIPAG ang Mitsubishi Motors, di gaya ng tamad na Isuzu Philippines and even Suzuki Philippines as a point of comparo.

Heto lang hindi ko alam sir Niky, which among the two (say the Navara or Strada/Monterosport) has the higher rail-pressure as the Navara's engine comes already with a high-rail pressure. A common sight amongst diesel EFi tuners, like that of RaceChip Pro tuners, where they, or even the owners, would still need to modify the rail of the Navara just to compensate for the added pressure brought by the tuning chip.

Cheers idol Niky!  ;D