Author Topic: 2012 vios vs upcoming mirage  (Read 5980 times)

braganbb

• View Profile
2012 vios vs upcoming mirage
« on: October 07, 2012, 05:06:40 AM »
Dear car gurus,

My wife and I are in the market for a new car. purpose is mainly to bring her to and from work in pampanga. and occasionally it would hit the NLEX when we have to visit my folks in Manila.

Since my wife would be the one using it more often, I have to take  into consideration that she is not used to a manual transmission. 

Our first dilemma was between the 1.3G AT vios and the 1.3S AT city.  We decided on the vios on that round since we are purchasing it through cash and toyota had better offers.

But I saw in the top gear magazine the upcoming mitsubishi mirage.  The mirage made us think twice about going ahead with the vios.

With that, I am hoping that the insights you could share about these two cars could make us either go ahead with getting the vios or wait till the release of the mirage.

Thank you in advance.  :D

d.lake

• View Profile
Re: 2012 vios vs upcoming mirage
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »
i'll pick mirage top of the line because it's cheaper than vios by more than 100k. hehe. plus the features you get from it.

my advice for you is to ask mitsu how good they can offer one to you. i guess they can offer it much better because mainly the SRP of mirage. you can also pick the GLX worth 548k, cheaper than 1.3G by almost 200k.

just make sure you reserve before october 31 if you decided on mirage. 40k discount is huge

Brentot_22

• Toyota Motors Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »
For me Vios,kasi mas gusto ko ang looks ng Vios plus parang mas maluwag and smooth sailing sa vios sarap sumakay ;)

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
Hmm..

I would actually opt for the Vios than the Mirage for the following reasons:

Visually, the Mirage appears to be smaller and appears to have a shorter wheelbase even though both are subcompact. As such, I feel road stability is better in the Vios. Since you plan on using it in the highways, I would prefer a slightly bigger/stable car. You will notice that at speed, if larger vehicles pass you (esp trucks and buses), they tend to push greater quantities of air to the side, and that can actually shake your vehicle (at speed). Given the dynamics of the Mirage, I would say it would have skinny tires as well to help with reducing road friction hence helping fuel economy. With less rubber on the ground, you theoretically have lesser grip to a certain extent. And as such, you might find this unnerving when you drive along the expressways and these road behemoths pass you. This is a valid concern I believe as I experienced this in an Innova 2004 model when I drove it around 100kph (this was due already to aerodynamics of the vehicle not delivering enough downforce I think). The steering felt loose at speed and gusts from the side rocked the car. I just had to slow down to 80kph as I was unable to keep it straight and steady (same experience when our driver drove it - he did the same)

The Vios is tried and tested in our shores. Granted, I also like the Mirage, but I tend to avoid being one of the first people to buy something as it is theoretically not yet publicly tested (although possibly field tested). An example I could give is the old D4D problem, the Hyundai Getz 1.4 engine knocks because of fuel, Fiesta AT transmission slipping on 1st and 2nd gear (comp seems having difficulty choosing which one to hold on to), old 2001 Pajero aircon problem (design problem that had the underside actually end up collecting water which made the cabin air stink when using the AC) and so on and so forth. So I choose peace of mind as I won't be the only one driving it or rather, I won't be driving it.

I am not trying to scare you away from the Mirage, although I am just giving out my own experiences and a few friends on the matter as you are basically choosing a new model to be launched in our shores and a long standing one used by many.

I don't think you would have problems in servicing of either of the vehicles, at least that I can believe wholeheartedly.

Cheers and good luck in your purchase.

raff17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:31:50 PM »
hi,
for me vios po kunin nyo...

hindi nyo naman pagsisisihan dahil talagang matibay at maaasahan...

im a vios owner din since 2nd year college and until now meron na ako work i still use my vios.

kung kaya ng budget nyo mag 1.5 A/T nalang po kayo...

for me 1.3 is good for M/T and not with A/T due to lack of power.

braganbb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 11:22:28 PM »
hi,

Thank you for your inputs. Your answers have certainly been giving me new perspectives. it's good I found the place that understands the worries of a first time brand new car buyer.

So far, here is what I've gathered:

Vios- Pros-   More stable-especially in expressways, tried and tested, flaws have been worked out(hopefully),
Cons- not much. it looks fine actually. probably just the fact that it is not unique on the road

Mirage-  Pros- can get the top of the line model, cheaper than the vios, 40k discount on pre order, fresh on the eyes

Cons- first release could have defects, not yet tested, could be less stable on expressways

Thank you for this inputs. I haven't decided yet but my choice is leaning towards the vios. 

I'd be happy to hear more of your opinion!

braganbb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
btw, can anyone give me a better idea about CVT?  ive seen that the top end mirage has this. I have no experience with this kind of transmission.

Thank you in advance :)

d.lake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:53:10 AM »
number one cons ng majority for vios is the look. well you find it good. so it will perfectly suit you. it's also a safe choice

niky

• Clutch Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
btw, can anyone give me a better idea about CVT?  ive seen that the top end mirage has this. I have no experience with this kind of transmission.

Thank you in advance :)

A CVT has no fixed gear ratios. Think of an automatic scooter... where the engine rpm stays the same but the vehicle keeps accelerating. This allows the Mirage to potentially save fuel while cruising, as it can be in the lowest rpm possible at all times and all speeds.

Potentially.

Meaning: Possible.

Meaning: We won't know till we drive it.
Automobilis Horriblis

ramboyd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »
if you order the mirage now mitsubishi is offering40,000 discount that is in sbma branch Olongapo

fortis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 06:18:38 PM »
go for the Vios, but if you can manage to find a good deal for a Honda then go get the City.
You can't go wrong with either one of those.

braganbb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 05:32:24 AM »
does anyone know in which showroom is the mirage displayed currently displayed at? 

according to one of their sales reps, it's going to be displayed at mitsubishi caloocan on Oct 18, 19,and 20.    would have wanted to see it today sana.

Evo Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
Based on the given specs, the mirage has a awesome set of features you can get under 600k. I was very impressed by that. Multimedia LCD screen, USB, GPS, new feature ETACS (Mitsu electronic timing and alarm conrtol system), EBD, ABS, RISE body structure, 15"inch tires, Auto climate control, keyless alarm/entry, rear spoiler.... etc etc.. Its a real value for money in my opinion. I just dont know if the current price will be the same by next year.

According to a dealer from Diamond motors fairview, it will be at their showroom this Oct 19 and 20. 

Evo Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I also like to mention its kerb weight of only 830Kg :) with a drag coefficient of only 0.29cd to help fuel efficiency. Thats very impressive! considering it is almost the same size as the toyota Yaris.

jake_android

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »
sir, ilang hp po ba meron ang vios na 1.3E?