Author Topic: Montero Sport GLX MT Non-VGT vs Fortuner 2.5G MT VNT  (Read 28409 times)

krennerite

• View Profile
Montero Sport GLX MT Non-VGT vs Fortuner 2.5G MT VNT
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
Need help: Power, Maintenance and Fuel Efficiency

Kyoichi Sudo

• Mitsubishi Motors Loyalist
    • View Profile
Re: Montero Sport GLX MT Non-VGT vs Fortuner 2.5G MT VNT
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
I think its a bit unfair to compare  a non-VGT SUV to a VGT-equipped one so if I were to campere the Montero Sport GLX to the non-VNT Fortuner, I'd pick the Montero Sport in terms of power. In maintenance,  the Montero Sport's maintenance costs is a bit, although the maintenance costs of the Fortuner are also high, the former costs higher than the latter. Fuel efficiency, they're equal as far as I know...

Good thing is that the Fortuner now has a 2.5G non-VNT MT, bad thing is it costs P1, 290M, nowhere near Montero Sport's 2014 facelift GLX P1, 208M. So the best choice, for me, is the Montero Sport. That's what I can say for now.
Team TopGear Philippines(TTGPh) admin & co-founder
MitsuLoyalists Philippines(MLP) admin president & founder
Street Customs Philippines administrator

krennerite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
Thank your Sir Kyoichi Sudo for the quick reply.

I'm comparing the two SUV's because of the recent down pricing of Fortuner 2.5G MT at P1, 290M which I taught is still with VNT. If that's the case, I'm leaning at Mitsubishi's Montero Sport GLX Non-VGT. Anyway both of them is without VGT/VNT.

krennerite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
Sir Kyoichi Sudo,

I've tried to ask an agent friend from Toyota and he told me that the recently priced 1.290M Fortuner 2.5G MT still have VNT. What can you say if this is the case? Is the 82k difference worth buying for the added VNT in Fortuner 2.5G MT over the Montero GLX non vgt?

Thank you in advance.

rdjl_13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »
If you need that added power, the 82k is worth it. It has the same torque with the 3.0L Fort and just 10Nm less than the VGT Montero so I think it is quite noticeable. And although looks are subjective, I really like the Fort more than the Montero. It's more muscular. Just my opinion. :)

Fundiver198

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03:15 PM »
I am a bit confused, which car you are talking about. According to the car buyers guide on this webpage as well as Toyota Philippines website, the Fortuner 2,5 G diesel MT is 1,386M. So are you guys talking about a new variant of the Fortuner? Or is it just a bit of price war going on between Mitsubishi and Toyota at the moment?

krennerite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
Sir Fundiver1,

Recently, Toyota Fortuner 2.5G was down priced to compete the high sales of  Montero GLX Non-VGT models

Fortuner 2.7G GAS AT w/ VNT @ P1.277M
Fortuner 2.5G DSL MT w/ VNT @  P1.290M
Fortuner 2.5G DSL AT w/ VNT @  P1.360M

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
Power is technically still with the Montero (if its the VGT version). Non-VGT, well no then. Fort would have the slight advantage.

Efficiency is with the Non-Turbo version to be honest. But only by a small margin. But of course, if you need more power, the non turbo version would not be able to deliver. Both have similar FCs.

Maintenance - Honestly, the Fort's maintenance is cheaper than the Monty.

Here's my bill

5k kms - about 6-7k
10k kms - about 9k to 10k
15k kms - about 7k
20k kms - about 18-20k (had given the go signal to replace brake pads by mistake bec. was told "pudpod" na daw" pero hindi pa naman when I got the ones removed - lesson learned)
25k kms - about 20k (had aircon cleaning as well)
30k pms - 13k

All were done by mitsu dealer. For your reference para alam mo pinapasok mo. hehe! Yung walang parenthesis is nothing special added sa PMS, part talaga lang ng regular PMS yung works.

Alam ko sa Fort diesel, serviced by Toyota to the Fort would be cheaper by around 2-3k php (I think) but best to get info from an owner who had similar PMS ranges.

Happy pa din ako overall with the Monty. Serves the purpose why we purchased it where the Fort couldn't deliver on that end. 2011 VGT model AT yung amin.

Oh and siguradihun mo sa MT Monty willing ka masanay sa kotse. Mabigat yung clutch ng MT, mabigat pa manibela. Sa Fort, magaan manibela, di ko lang alam bigat ng clutch ng Fort.

FYI.

krennerite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
 Hi Sir 17Sphynx17,

Thanks for the inputs. My initial choice then was Montero GLX Non-VGT price @ P1.208M due to tight budget but then recently I heard of Fortuner's down pricing which prompted my thinking if to extend my budget for the sake of VNT in Fortuner. Right now, I'm leaning towards Toyota's Fortuner 2.5G MT w/ VNT which is 82k higher compared to Mitsubishi's Montero GLX Non-VGT but again, I read from Botchi's column that Fortuner's design is old and that there will be an all new Toyota Fortuner by 2015. So confused because I want the car that I will choose to last for decades due to financial status.

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
@krennerite

I understand your concern for outgoing against new model. But here is my stance on that if that is what is holding you back.

You already know what you need, does the current one satisfy that need?

Second, to share my actual experience. When we were planning to purchase a subcompact back in 2008, I was recommending between a Getz or City. We of course leaned towards the City. That being said, the actual time frame we were picking out the car was about 1 month to 2 months max from when the model will be launched.

Naturally, my family was contemplating whether to wait for the new model or not. I quickly answered them with a simple phrase, I don't need a new model. I need this specific car model (1.3S AT). Plus, the price difference was already known by then. The 1.3 S AT back then was 660k, the new model of the same trim would be 760k, a whopping 100k (15%) price increase.

I never regretted my decision back then and was really happy.

Then my uncle asked about our City. He was planning to buy the new 1.3S AT. This was the new 1.3 Vtec one, we had the 1.3i-DSi engine. Naturally I let him drive the "weaker" 1.3 City and he liked it and bought the new City.

After 3 years of ownership, he sold it as it felt lacking in power. Keep in mind that during this time, I think up to now, there are no test drives for walkin clients. I also drove his car quite a few time and it does.

So new doesn't really mean better for me. It depends on the situation.

If you plan to own the vehicle long term, depreciation really plays too little a part in that and it is something we always do in our family. Our vehicles last more than 10 years, excluding 1 car which was flooded and impossible to repair on a budget. We sell them only when it becomes too much of a hassle to maintain them.

krennerite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
Thank you so much Sir 17Sphynx17 for sharing you thoughts and experience.
This will help a lot in my decision.

Fundiver198

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
The Montero is not a brand new model either, it has also been along for a number of years already. And with the recent price reduction of the Fortuner, there has to some degree been taken care of the fact, it is not a brand new model. When a new Fortuner is introduced in 2015, they will in all likelihood raise the price back up again.

For me the biggest problem with the Fortuner has always been a lack of power from the 2,5 diesel unit, which used to produce only 102 hp and 260 nm of torque. But that was solved with the recent facelift. So with lower price and sufficient power, I think the 2,5 diesel MT is again an attractive proposition in the market.

Also to be honest, there is a limit to, how much different or better you can make a pick-up based SUV. Its still going to be a body-on-frame structure, and I don`t expect, that the coming Fortuner will make the current one feel like an absolete model. It will be an evolution of the concept rather than a revolution. Just like the new Vios.

The Montero is not a bad choise either. But probably in the long run the Fortuner can make up for the 80k ekstra purchase price with cheaper maintenance and/or better resale value. So I would simply get the vehicle, that was most to my personal liking and not put to much emphasis on the financial aspect.

jadison

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 12:38:40 PM »
Sir Fundiver1,

Recently, Toyota Fortuner 2.5G was down priced to compete the high sales of  Montero GLX Non-VGT models

Fortuner 2.7G GAS AT w/ VNT @ P1.277M
Fortuner 2.5G DSL MT w/ VNT @  P1.290M
Fortuner 2.5G DSL AT w/ VNT @  P1.360M

with our forty 4x2 AT with VNT  nasa 1.490 almost and really this one is a right buy. kesa sa manual, nasa gumagamit lng namn yan, konting dagdag lng sa budget and for sure less stress ka sa road. I'm happy with the 2013 with VNT super tipid at mura maintenance cost. the ride ok lng namn, kung di ka maarte at masyadong conscious/sensitive... plus factor ng looks then the brand itself tumatagal sa masa di gaya ng iba madaling mawala life span sa kalsada. toyota its for long term use.

Brentot_22

• Toyota Motors Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
Fortuner for me ;)

krennerite

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 02:50:48 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you regarding Toyota's inexpensive maintenance and reliability. I'm more concern about financial aspect. I used to opt for Innova, but then Montero Sport GLX Non VGT MT is within the price range of Innova so I'm thinking of Montero since it is a SUV. But again adding 86k to the price of Montero sport GLX Non VGT MT, I can get Fortuner 2.5G MT w/ VNT. Which do you think I should get between the two SUVs? Is it true that Montero is heavy on the steering wheel compared to Fortuner? I'm also concern about their power.