Author Topic: Montero Sport GLX MT Non-VGT vs Fortuner 2.5G MT VNT  (Read 22472 times)

17Sphynx17

• View Profile
Re: Montero Sport GLX MT Non-VGT vs Fortuner 2.5G MT VNT
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you regarding Toyota's inexpensive maintenance and reliability. I'm more concern about financial aspect. I used to opt for Innova, but then Montero Sport GLX Non VGT MT is within the price range of Innova so I'm thinking of Montero since it is a SUV. But again adding 86k to the price of Montero sport GLX Non VGT MT, I can get Fortuner 2.5G MT w/ VNT. Which do you think I should get between the two SUVs? Is it true that Montero is heavy on the steering wheel compared to Fortuner? I'm also concern about their power.

The Montero has always had a heavier steering compared to the Fortuner. The Fort has significantly lighter steering compared to it. The upside of the heavier steering of the Monty is the slightly more precise steering input as there is more "play" with the Fortuner.

It would take a bit of adjusting to but you will get used to it as long as you are willing. Of course, when you already tired from a long day, the steering weight will feel a bit cumbersome when you just want to relax on your way home. But just a bit. =)

I don't know how "heavy" the clutch of the Fort MT is, but I always hear from Monty MT owners that the clutch is a bit heavier compared to what they were used to. This coming from people who have driven vans and L300FB. The clutch of the Montero is definitely heavier than that of the L300 FB but I don't know if the Fort is the same or heavier.

In your shoes, I would actually pick the Fort over the Monty.
- The elderly members of my family have difficulty entering the Monty. They don't have trouble with the Fort.
- Service of the Fort is slightly cheaper than the Monty
- The VnT engine of the Fort removes the "weakness" against the Monty when it comes to power and torque.

The above list would be practical reasons for me to pick the Fort over the Monty. Of course, choice of styling is subjective. I still like the Monty's still over the Fort, but I won't die if I owned the Fort and looked at it everyday I was going to use.

So good luck.

krennerite

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
Hi Sir 17Sphynx17,

Thanks again for your reply. I will take into consideration your annotations and will help a lot in my decision. The only thing I have in my mind now is if the all new Fortuner will be launched in the next 2 years.

Fundiver198

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »
Why does that matter? It will not make your Fortuner any worse. And like I write already, Toyota tend to very much follow a path of evolution rather than revolution. Plus a brand new model will almost certainly mean price hikes. So no need to worry about resale value either. A diesel powered Fortuner at the current prices will almost certainly hold its value very well. Only the petrol version has more dubious resale value, because most 2. hand buyers are scared away by its high fuel costs.

arki

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
Need help: Power, Maintenance and Fuel Efficiency

My i know the fuel consumption of montero sport?

Fundiver198

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
It depends how and where you drive it. And also which model you choose. An authomatic gearbox increase fuel consumption, and so does 4 wheel drive. Pick up based SUV´s like the Montero are big and heavy vehichles, so you are never going to win any economy races in them.

But the high efficiency of diesel engines, almost 20% higher energy content of diesel fuel pr. liter compared to petrol with 10% bioetanol in it and lower government taxes on diesel will help to keep your fuel costs down.  Basically when you fill up with diesel, you pay less to get more, and the engine makes more efficient use of it as well.

But I dont think many buyers will be able to get more than approximately 10 km/l out of a pick-up based diesel powered SUV in mixed driving. Add an automatic gearbox, a lot of city driving and 4 wheel drive, and you are easily looking at 7-8 km/l instead.