Author Topic: Toyota Revo Concern  (Read 9690 times)

Paotsang

• View Profile
Toyota Revo Concern
« on: August 28, 2009, 11:37:17 AM »
To those who are willing to give their technical opinion,suggestion,assitance please do so,

I own a Generation 1  2000 GLX 1.8 Manual Tranny Toyota Revo...( First Owned from Toyota Otis )

This ride has been my partner for the longest time and for the last 9 years that I had it, it did not gave me any painstaking technical issue.

Not until this early year...

What happened was, one of the EFI injector was the culprit, it was damaged perhaps due to the 9 years it had served me

So being a guy na wala gaanong alam sa makina,went to a mechanic..asked their opinion and was informed that it could be the idling servo kit

Went to Banawe, check for the parts, bought one, installed it and still same result ( expense # 1 )

Now, they focused on the engine itself and found out that one of the EFI injector was the culprit

So went back to banawe, bought the part needed, installed it and it worked ( Expense # 2 )

So happy that it was fixed, but my concern now is that the idling on my odometer sometimes drops to a certain level that could  kill the engine

And yes, it could be the idling servo kit, but already checked it, cleaned it as well..What else could be the cause of this?

Second concern, I had my clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing replaced a couple of years ago and now evrytime I shift the gear on reverse,

you can hear a cracking noise, sumasabit daw sabi ng mekaniko.. a part was replaced somewhere in the clutch area, hindi ko alam tawag dun, and still ganun pa rin..

Recommendation nung Mekaniko is to replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing again..Tama po ba ito?

Lastly, since I had this ride for nine years, im planning to replace my shock absorber as well. I researched on the net what shocks do we have on the market,

As far as I know, both Fluid type yung rear and front shocks ng revo ko..im planning to change it to gas type..would that be ok? or perhaps try gas on the front and fluid on the back?

Suggestions , opinion, explanations will highly be appreciated.

Thanks   
[i m g]img338.imageshack.us/img338/6535/ubd6347.png[/ i m g]

Feeter Silverster

• cruise with me!
  • Hyundai Toyota Starex
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Revo Concern
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:58 PM »
I may be of help, as per your concerns.

1. Dropping idle - Is your engine diesel engine? If it is, then maybe it's just time to have your nozzle tip cleaned and calibrated by a competent calibration shop, if not replace it with the stock nozzle tip and opening spray.

2. Clutch disk should only be replaced if there is substantial decrease of pulling power and of top speed. Also if the clutch produce burnt smell and there is a blackish smoke coming from your exhaust pipes.
Hindi ko lang sure kung kelangang palitan lahat na binanggit nung mekaniko mo.

also for this concern, check the level of your gear oil and differential oil if it's needing replacement/ refilling.

3. The shock absorber should also be replaced for more comfort (if it's that old). You should stick to fluid type because that kind is the one suited for your SUV. Also gas type is known to produce bumpy ride eventhough it's more durable than the fluid type.

Paotsang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:54 AM »
@ Thunder Feet!

Sir Thanks for the immediate reply

My revo is a gas engine..the idling is quite ok now but in some occassions it gradually goes down

"Clutch disk should only be replaced if there is substantial decrease of pulling power and of top speed"

-in terms of pulling power, pansin ko medyo kulang sya sa pulling power unlike before isang apak lang nandun ka na

With the shock absorber, i will stick to the fluid type..any recommended brand?

Many thanks

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »
Paotsang...

we also have revos before and based on my experience,the ride of the revo is smooth if not supple(but not stiff) because of the leaf springs in the rear and because of this i think that it is better for you to stick to the original type of the shocks since you only want to restore the ride quality you had before.If it is fluid type then go for it since your shocks are designed to accommodate the mass of your SUV.

as for the idling problems,try to check out the rapide service centers...they offer casa quality service without the casa cost
member: Elantra Pinas
cvvt/d-cvvt/ird-e/i-vtec/iForceVVT-i/re-vgt/Ti-VCT

Paotsang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »
Paotsang...

we also have revos before and based on my experience,the ride of the revo is smooth if not supple(but not stiff) because of the leaf springs in the rear and because of this i think that it is better for you to stick to the original type of the shocks since you only want to restore the ride quality you had before.If it is fluid type then go for it since your shocks are designed to accommodate the mass of your SUV.

as for the idling problems,try to check out the rapide service centers...they offer casa quality service without the casa cost

Probably I will stick of the fluid type for my shocks

Will try Rapide out

Thanks

miked

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »
No! :o don't go to Rapide! Unless you want your problems to multiply exponentially.

Paotsang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:58:05 AM »
No! :o don't go to Rapide! Unless you want your problems to multiply exponentially.

I had the opportunity to do business with them..Rapide along commonwealth..their estimation will cost me an arm , a leg and one of my kidney stones.

Will stay away from Rapide!

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 11:26:09 PM »

I had the opportunity to do business with them..Rapide along commonwealth..their estimation will cost me an arm , a leg and one of my kidney stones.

Will stay away from Rapide!

hmmm...strange...but actually we service one of our cars in rapide kalayaan ave. also in QC because one of the service team were a distant relative of mine...their service are actually fine,hmmm...need to talk to other customers for clarification :

I need an investigation ???  :)  ???

Feeter Silverster

• cruise with me!
  • Hyundai Toyota Starex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
It's good thing you have relatives from that branch, he surely will not 'taga' or 'goyo' for your car repair.
Good close friends on service centers like Rapide could also work fine.
Most repair shops, will make you bleed of blood money for your vehicle to be repaired properly.
Better refer to words of mouth for suggestions and recommendations from relatives, friends, car forums, etc to be sure.

myk384

• Junior writer
    • View Profile
    • friendster
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:00:04 PM »
Paotsang...

sir, that is also my impression with the Revo that my grandma owns...... smooth and reliable but breathless....

my dad seldoms uses it and tells me that it never feels underpowered...... contrasting, isnt it?

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »
Paotsang...

sir, that is also my impression with the Revo that my grandma owns...... smooth and reliable but breathless....

my dad seldoms uses it and tells me that it never feels underpowered...... contrasting, isnt it?

actually it depends on one's experience or preference to cars, I for example felt shortchanged when we bought this german sedan before but my dad felt it is the best value he could get

in case of the revo,maybe you felt it is breathless because the engine roars in high rpms but that's because of the engine technology however, you're also partly correct that it is slightly underpowered since it has to power a heavy vehicle while only having 1.8 or 2.0 in displacement(for the gas engine size).Sometimes driver inputs can reflect on how the vehicle responds (assuming your dad drives better than your other relatives).

myk384

• Junior writer
    • View Profile
    • friendster
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »
Paotsang...

actually it depends on one's experience or preference to cars, I for example felt shortchanged when we bought this german sedan before but my dad felt it is the best value he could get

in case of the revo,maybe you felt it is breathless because the engine roars in high rpms but that's because of the engine technology however, you're also partly correct that it is slightly underpowered since it has to power a heavy vehicle while only having 1.8 or 2.0 in displacement(for the gas engine size).Sometimes driver inputs can reflect on how the vehicle responds (assuming your dad drives better than your other relatives).

@maranello.. my aunt(s) usually drive the Revo and one recounted that it is underpowered when climbing hills or ramps. When they went to Antipolo one time (including myself), they've left the car and took public transpo

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »

@maranello.. my aunt(s) usually drive the Revo and one recounted that it is underpowered when climbing hills or ramps. When they went to Antipolo one time (including myself), they've left the car and took public transpo

like what i've said above, it is sometimes down on the driver's skills, the Antipolo climb is not that steep, if that statement is true then there's a problem with the skill of the car's handler...not the car because take a look at Baguio city, alot of megataxis there were old tamaraw fx(not even a revo) but hey the hill climb is a cinch for those drivers even the vehicle they drove was in full capacity and old already
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:21:27 PM by maranello_5775 »