Author Topic: Mitsubishi Lancer EX - GTA vs. Subaru impreza sedan  (Read 22419 times)

arms777

• View Profile
Mitsubishi Lancer EX - GTA vs. Subaru impreza sedan
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:14:27 AM »
Hi, i am driving a toyota revo glx for more than 10 years now and i'm very satisfied with it's performance although the fuel consumption is quite high (around 7 km/l city driving). 

I was not planning to buy a new car anytime soon until i saw the new lancer GTA.  Since then i cant stop thinking about it.  However, when i search about reviews of the GTA from the internet, the reviews are quite mediocre if not totally negative. 

Then the other day, i saw the Subaru impreza sedan and i was quite impressed with its overall appearance (inside and out) and its features.  Now i'm confused.  Please help me decide. I'm planning to buy soon. Thanks

renzo_d10

• Keep It Simple. ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Mitsubishi Lancer EX - GTA vs. Subaru impreza sedan
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »
The GT-A isn't really much of a mediocre vehicle. It performs well, and it can reach 3 digit speeds at a very short span of time.

I`ve seen several GTA's running at the 200kph mark without giving much of an effort.

The GTA however, has this 18 inchers which could really result into a not so good vehicle. Better than the Revo, I must say. ( I`ve ridden a 2004 GSX Revo for several times already ) . You could remedy this however by changing/swapping your 18 inchers to a lower one -, 17's.

In this variant, this is the one that comes with an Automatic Transmission + Paddle shifters = 6-speed.

-

How about the Ford Focus TDCi. With that included, there's a different story to tell.  ;)

Anyways, bottomline is ... whichever of the two you choose you won't be having regrets, really. But here, I pick the Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT-A.

The last choice will still come from you though, and with you driving anything from the 2, you're still going to get that " look " from others.

What happened ? :| It`s now quantity over quality.
Learn from your experience, Toyota.
You should satisfy your customers like what you have done before ... like how you have satisfied us with your AE101 Corolla. :-bd

arms777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:51:46 AM »
Thanks for the input.  But i think one of the things that made the GTA look good is its 18-inch rims, what do you think?

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
Thanks for the input.  But i think one of the things that made the GTA look good is its 18-inch rims, what do you think?
yes it really is...the lancer's shoes compliments its racy looks

I was not planning to buy a new car anytime soon until i saw the new lancer GTA.  Since then i cant stop thinking about it.  However, when i search about reviews of the GTA from the internet, the reviews are quite mediocre if not totally negative

Actually the reviews for the lancer GTA(GTS in other markets)is good actually most of them were impressed of the new lancer, the thing that made the review seem lukewarm is the CVT transmission because it doesn't deliver the punch the engine packs or the driver found the CVT trick a bit strange

The new Lancer is one of the Top 5 cars fit for teen/new generation of motorists (I forgot the name of the website)

My pick for your choices is the lancer ex gta since it still turns heads followed by the focus tdi,the impreza is also good but it is expensive for the spec and isn't as handsome as the lancer ex -IMO

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:08:20 PM by maranello_5775 »
member: Elantra Pinas
cvvt/d-cvvt/ird-e/i-vtec/iForceVVT-i/re-vgt/Ti-VCT

renzo_d10

• Keep It Simple. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:10 PM »

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I mistyped something that could lead you into that idea.  ;D

Anyways, what I mean was. The 18 inchers could result into a quite harsh ride compared to if it's downgraded to the 17's.  :D

But, yes I do agree that the 18 inchers helps the vehicle to look stunning, agressive and the like.

You could however opt for the much lower variants such as the EX GLX , GLS if you have future plans in modding your vehicle.

You should satisfy your customers like what you have done before ... like how you have satisfied us with your AE101 Corolla. :-bd

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
  • Auto-LPG equipped. Saving money since 2006.
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
I was not planning to buy a new car anytime soon until i saw the new lancer GTA.  Since then i cant stop thinking about it.  However, when i search about reviews of the GTA from the internet, the reviews are quite mediocre if not totally negative. 

Then the other day, i saw the Subaru impreza sedan and i was quite impressed with its overall appearance (inside and out) and its features.  Now i'm confused.  Please help me decide. I'm planning to buy soon. Thanks

I was in your shoes few weeks ago when I was deciding what new car to get.

My choices were Lancer EX GLS, Subaru Impreza sedan, Ford Focus TDCI.

Any of the above mentioned choices are pretty good by themselves.  All have good reviews. 

Focus TDCI - powerful turbo diesel engine, great looks, handles like it's on rails.  Downside, suspension is stiff as nails because it has been up-rated to handle the heavy engine/tranny combo. Gives one of the best fuel mileage numbers in this car range.  There is also a big potential for simple aftermarket modifications to the engine for big HP gains as well.  BTW, the tranny is a DSG type tranny or a dual clutch transmission.  Mechanically it's like having two manual trannys controlled by a computer.  Potentially faster shifts and less power loss through the drive train.

Subaru Impreza 2.0L (sedan) - the latest offering from Subaru.  The car is basically the same mechanically as it's hatchback version.  Comes in two variants, manual or automatic.  The manual gives the best use of the engine's power.  The automatic turns a potentially good & exiciting performance car into a grocery getter though. 

Mitsu Lancer EX GT-A - great car that combines a good chassis, powerful engine and good A/T tranny.  Doing mid-turn downshifts for fast corning exits with the paddleshifters becomes second nature after a couple of minutes of driving the car.  The suspension soaks up road irregularities well enough even with the large 18 inch wheels.  The digital multi-info display located between the guages gives you more information than you would want.  Only downside would the CVT itself, no fast takeoffs and potential early failure if driven too hard too often. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:11:31 PM by GhostHunter »

arms777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
ok. i think i'll go for the GTA but the problem is, there is no available red GTA right now.  The dealer says that it will be around 3 more months before a red one is available. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
ok. i think i'll go for the GTA but the problem is, there is no available red GTA right now.  The dealer says that it will be around 3 more months before a red one is available. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Well, if you have your heart set for the RED GTA, then you have to wait for it to arrive.  The white and black GTA look good though if you can change your mind & heart about the color.

renzo_d10

• Keep It Simple. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
You could look for other dealers as well. Some, may have an available red unit already, while some ... like in your case, doesn't.
If you're unlucky enough to look for one, it's best to opt for others as well. The white looks good, too . But, if your heart is set on the red color already, which is undoubtedly beautiful, then you have to wait.

@GH :: What color did you get for your EX ?

arms777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:14 AM »
Yeah, the white also looks nice but in a few years time, it will be off white, no matter how well you maintain it.  That's the problem with white cars.
Btw, any of you know if Mitsubishi will release other colors besides red, white, gray and silver?  How about blue like the color of the ralliart?

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »
@GH :: What color did you get for your EX ?

My EX-GLS is black.  It also has the new smoked tail-lights, ten-spoke 16in alloy wheels and revised front grill (no chrome).

GhostHunter

• Project JDM
    • View Profile
    • TSIKOT.COM
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
Yeah, the white also looks nice but in a few years time, it will be off white, no matter how well you maintain it.  That's the problem with white cars.

Well, I used to own a white B13 Sentra for eight years.  It's color never became "off-white".  Dirt stains do become visible after a few weeks and requires a good waxing to remove to get back that clean white color.

jamzv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »
From a performance standpoint and over-all value and specs I would go for the Subaru Impreza Sedan. It actually addresses the major negative of the Impreza hatchback... which is trunk space.

Test drive an impreza and you'll be impressed. It has nice specs... HIDs, 17" RIMs, AWD, a strong 2.0L engine. When you read Automotive magazines both in Asia and even in the US, most people give good reviews on the Subaru Impreza and the Subaru brand in general which I think in the future would be the greatest threat to the Toyota and Honda Japanese supremacy here in the Philippines.

Another thing is resale value... Mitsubishi vehicles dont hold resale values very well and this is a major downer for me. Unless you want to throw away money when you try to sell your car... (think of it as it would value 50-100k less compared to a same year Honda or Toyota).

arms777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 09:03:22 AM »
Well, the downside of the Impreza for me is its lone service center and it's relatively new here in the Philippines as compared to the "more" established brands.

As for the resale value, I don't have much problem with that since I plan to keep it for at least the next 7 to 10 years probably.  If I'm going to buy another car, I'll sell my Revo, which is 11 years old and still performing above par.

Btw, I've test driven the Mitsubishi model with a similar engine as the GTA (with paddle shifters) and it's awesome.  It's like driving a manual transmission.  Oooh...i can't wait to have that car.  But still, they don't have available Red GTAs yet.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:50:47 PM by arms777 »

Uno1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
Well, the downside of the Impreza for me is its lone service center and it's relatively new here in the Philippines as compared to the "more" established brands.

There will be two more Subaru "casa" openning up.

Cebu branch

Alabang branch