Author Topic: Best brand of Gasoline  (Read 60339 times)

janjalaniv

• veni, vidi, vici.
    • View Profile
Best brand of Gasoline
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »
Gud day to all.
I would like to ask an advice regarding gasoline fuels. Next week we will be driving home our new honda civic 1.8. This is our first time on gasoline engines. Our other vehicles are diesels. There are a lot of gasoline types from Shell, Petron, Caltex, Total etc...
What is really the best, economy wise and engine friendly among the gasoline types? ??? :-\
Ride. Race. Live.

Doc G

• I am an Eleonor
    • View Profile
Re: Best brand of Gasoline
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 02:55:49 PM »
Hello Janjalaniv,
             As for the best gasoline station....my family has this rule of thumb: Just go to reputable gas stations when you need to refill. The four gas stations you mentioned are the only ones we go to when we need to gas up. The others? No way because according to my dad those " Uncommon " stations do a little mischief of some sort. Mixing gasoline w/ water w/c we, the drivers, won't know since we don't get to see it.
              As for favorites, we go to Petron. Our SM Advantage cards could be used there & the points you earn could be used to purchase any item @ SM. I was able to accummulate 450 points last year & I used up the points to purchase my kids' school supplies! Nice idea diba.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 02:57:53 PM by Doc G »

janjalaniv

• veni, vidi, vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 09:02:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice doc.
Yes im using the SM advantage card when i purchase diesel at Petron.
What i mean with the gasolines is this: Shell has the unleaded, premium, ferrari fuel and i forgot the one. Pertron has Blaze and i also forgot the other type. Caltex has vortex gold and silver. I mean which among those is really the best and easy on the pocket?
They also say the the unleaded is not good?
Im confused.... :-\
Ride. Race. Live.

Doc G

• I am an Eleonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
Oh sori about that ;D pasencya na I read your post so quick & replied so quick also.
    Anyway basically by law kasi all gasolines are Unleaded. The additives are incorporated to improve the speed of your car, as they claim. Before we used to gas up w/ the  Unleaded only kasi it's environmental friendly. Kaso we noticed that the speed of the vehicle seems to slow down also. Yah many say that it affects the speed of the car  w/ the Unleaded.One of my dad's friends told us to use the BLAZE. It's high in Octane, has better combustion, makes your engine run better & cleaner. If you want to run faster, you use the Blaze tapos in the long run it's cheaper.
              On other opinions, one of my patients told me that  using Petron XCS is so far the best for him. He said he used to gas up w/ Shell for the past 20 yrs & it's only 7kms/liter. Now for the past 7yrs,bcoz of using Petron XCS, it's 10kms/liter na.
               I am not saying this because I am a stock holder of Petron  ;D ha but most of our friends go for Petron. Diesel also good sa Petron mas refined.
                Shell is okay also especially with their unleaded.
               Hope I was of help w/ you there :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:28:52 AM by Doc G »

janjalaniv

• veni, vidi, vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »
Thanks again doc...  :D
I talked with my friend yesterday and he also recommended the petron blaze. And I can still earn points from my SM advantage card.
Ride. Race. Live.

Doc G

• I am an Eleonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 03:21:54 PM »
Yap yap yap ...go & earn your points :D In my case I still sometimes go to Shell for their V-power. I haven't completed my collection of the Ferrari cards  ;D ;D who knows I might Win a Ferrari Track Day ( hehehe ) ;D.

Yes I finally completed my Ferrari cards!!!  :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:05:23 AM by Doc G »

Doc G

• I am an Eleonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »
Janjalaniv I was able to learn from a friend who has a carshop @ Makati that he advises you to use UNLEADED for your Honda Civic because that car is calibrated to receive that kind of fuel. The Blaze is okay though but the Unleaded is better.

janjalaniv

• veni, vidi, vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »
thanks for the info doc. at least i can save a little with unleaded  ;D

by the way, will there be no problem when i mix blaze with unleaded, shell premium, caltex vortex....
Or if i started with blaze, will that be blaze forever?
Ride. Race. Live.

Doc G

• I am an Eleonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »
I was able to ask that question also & my auto mechanic friend advised me to at least stick to just one gasoline type, if possible. Gasing up w/ different gasoline types is not advisable. Unleaded has low octane & Blaze has higher octane. So if ever you've started up with the Blaze & you want to use the Unleaded, leave at least 1liter of the Blaze & gas up totally w/ the Unleaded.
                 The reason why he advised you to use the Unleaded for your honda is becoz your car is calibrated to receive that type of gasoline. Unleaded is good for cars that are Fuel injected type ( EFI, ECI etc ).The Blaze is okay naman to use yun nga lang you'll notice that your engine will be more stronger ( lalakas  ang maquina & batak ) bcoz of the hi octane level w/c is around 95-96%. You could gas up from different gas stations though, that is ( for me ), the four stations that you mentined only.  Blaze's counterpart w/ shell is the V power. According to my friend, you could mix that kasi they have the same octane level.
                   In my opinion the Blaze is better becoz you have better burn or combustion kaya nga when you try checking on your exhaust, it's white... Cleaner burn.

janjalaniv

• veni, vidi, vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 09:24:23 AM »
Just got my civic yesterday and yes... Honda recommends unleaded...
Thanks doc
Ride. Race. Live.

swoosh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »
for me its still petron...hehe...tried out caltex gold, petron blaze and shell v power...the best pa rin yung blaze with regards to power and acceleration improvement...yung techron gold parang wala lang...regular unleaded ang dating...ung vpower gitna...pero sa price, caltex has the cheapest premium unleaded...petron and shell almost the same price though sometimes mas mahal yung blaze...depende sa location...so far ang nakita ko na may cheapest blaze is yung sa petron macapagal beside blue wave...cheapest regular unleaded naman yung sa macapagal din...yung mgkatapat na petron and shell...hehe...

Evobaru

• Car nut
  • A Stig Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 10:02:12 PM »
well i do agree with you Doc G that petron is good...but ShellV-Power is also nice....thats the gas we use for our car....
I'm a heavy smoker (of tires)...

swoosh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 02:05:53 AM »
hmm...was really scared about the hi octane not working well for mazda3....

and with regards to sticking with one gasoline, everybody has been telling that. kaso, ive had a hard time sticking to one. pag may pera or mag nle, blaze. pag tipid ako caltex silver or gold..hehe...pag sobra konti na lang tpos punta pako manila, shell ..una kasi if galing angeles pa south...hay....hehe...

hope it doesnt take a toll on my m3...love it pa naman...

Ferman

• Top Gear Magazine Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 08:36:02 AM »
Best brand of gas is the one that gives your car the best performance.
You'll have to try all the brands out there to find out which one tho'.
When you try out the fuels drive until your almost empty before you switch brands, this will minimize "contamination" of the new fuel with the old fuel.
When you try out the new fuel unless it is immediately perceptible from the beginning stick with it for about 3 or 4 tanks and get how many kms/liter you get from that particular fuel.
You'll find that the fuel that gives you the best mileage will also give you the best power.
All this of course assumes you can drive the same way on all the types of gas you use.
If you drive differently each time, your not going to get very conclusive results.

Personally, I use Petron's Extra Unleaded because I get decent mileage (9 to 10.5km/liter for my drive cycle) with it from my 13 year old car.
Occasionally I switch to Blaze when there's a race I'll be joining, like the Hill Climb last summer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:39:31 AM by Ferman »

janjalaniv

• veni, vidi, vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice and suggestions....
I using Blaze... and im blazin...... :D
Ride. Race. Live.