Author Topic: small/mid-sized SUV for urban daily driver?  (Read 14069 times)

ALIEN

• View Profile
small/mid-sized SUV for urban daily driver?
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »
Hi All,

Please recommend a 2011 model small/mid sized SUV for a daily drive to office.
My considerations will be:
1. Comfort. On Traffic, should be comfortable to drive, maneuver and park.
2. Flood. Wont die  :P , or if so easily fixed.
3. Fuel efficient. Should alright with 10km/liter (gas or diesel).
4. A/T.
5. Resale value.
6. Maintenance cost.
7. Price, P1.4M below.

I'm checking on these vehicles:
-Hyundai Tucson diesel AT
-Mitsubishi Montero GLS-V
-Nissan X-Trail
-Isuzu Sportivo
-Honda CR-V

maranello_5775

• genuine car addict
    • View Profile
Re: small/mid-sized SUV for urban daily driver?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »
any of your choices will do sans the expensive sportivo, instead of getting a sportivo why not consider the alterra(if you don't mind the looks)

sad to say you will drive very carefully to achieve 10km/li in a crv or xtrail
so if you prioritize fuel consumption get a diesel powered suv, get the montero sport, tucson diesel, santa fe diesel or ford everest

any of these suv's can wade a knee deep flood just don't brave deeper floods for your safety and to avoid damaging your vehicle
member: Elantra Pinas
cvvt/d-cvvt/ird-e/i-vtec/iForceVVT-i/re-vgt/Ti-VCT

ALIEN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and info.
I'm now narrowed down to Tucson 4x4 AT vs Montero 4x2. This due to the looks, and the above criteria.

dtkiko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and info.
I'm now narrowed down to Tucson 4x4 AT vs Montero 4x2. This due to the looks, and the above criteria.

The Tucson CRDi eVGT is way better than any Monterosport, in terms of power and torque, suspension, and manoeuvring.

With the Tucson alone, you get better power-to-weight ratio, torque-to-weight ratio more than any of the Monterosport, whether it be the ordinary Di-D, or GLS-V, GT-V ---- The Tucson for its size is making 177 metric hp and 392 Nm of peak torque distributed widely over 700 rpm-wide (1800 rpm to 2500 rpm). It even sips lesser fuel than the Monterosport. The Tucson R eVGT GL 4x4 costs only PhP1.33 M.

Now, if you can swing-in just a bit more money, since you're aiming for around PhP1.4 M, better take the Hyundai Santa Fe R eVGT 4x2. Of all the diesel SUV and CUV out there close to that price, it is the most advanced of them all, performance- (in terms of power/ torque, high-speed straight-line stability, high-speed manoeuvring manners, fuel efficiency and suspension) and safety-wise.

The Santa Fe R eVGT pumps out 197 metric-hp and produces 435 Nm peak torque from 1800 rpm to 2500 rpm.... It also garnered the highest Euro NCAP rating of 5-star in terms of passenger safety against severe impact.

In terms of achieving its published top speed of 190 km per hour (based on the limit of its stock tires), due to the Santa Fe's powerful engine, and well-spaced gearing, it reaches that speed easily while revving only at 3392 rpm. No Japanese- and American-made mid-size SUV could match that, and here alone you could already see that it's way fuel-efficient than any of the others. Even only at a low-rev of 2000 rpm, the Santa Fe is already speeding around 115 kph.

Kindly see here how 190 kph translates only to 3392 rpm with the Santa Fe

All these outstanding and unmatched features listed above you get for only PhP1.55 M from the Santa Fe R eVGT 4x2. Take note sir, mas sobrang mahal pa mga Philippine-issue na Mitsu Pajero (PhP2.7 M) at Toyota Prado (PhP3.5 M), and yet, none of their engine outputs could match the Santa Fe eVGT.

Good luck on your choices sir!

Kind regards.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:28:25 PM by dtkiko »

ALIEN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »
dtkiko,

Very nice facts, thanks for the input. I will now be checking out Hyundai showroom again, there are no Tucson display during my last visit and I just made a quick glance on the Sta. Fe interior. I like the interior of the Sta. Fe but I dont like the exterior looks, baka may lalabas na na bago soon.
So by now I've now chosen the Tucson, due to looks  :) and because also para din kayanin ma-drive ng female  ;D
Another thing I', now considering is which engine variant of the Tucson shall I buy? Gas or Diesel?
Tucson R eVGT 2.0L GL 4WD AT (New)    1,338,000
Tucson Theta II 2.0L GL AT 2WD            1,038,000
Malaki din ang price difference nila. Does anyone here knows the fuel consumption of the two Tucson models above? And what are the advantages/disadvantages?

dtkiko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
dtkiko,

Very nice facts, thanks for the input. I will now be checking out Hyundai showroom again, there are no Tucson display during my last visit and I just made a quick glance on the Sta. Fe interior. I like the interior of the Sta. Fe but I dont like the exterior looks, baka may lalabas na na bago soon.
So by now I've now chosen the Tucson, due to looks  :) and because also para din kayanin ma-drive ng female  ;D
Another thing I', now considering is which engine variant of the Tucson shall I buy? Gas or Diesel?
Tucson R eVGT 2.0L GL 4WD AT (New)    1,338,000
Tucson Theta II 2.0L GL AT 2WD            1,038,000
Malaki din ang price difference nila. Does anyone here knows the fuel consumption of the two Tucson models above? And what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Good day Sir Alien.

Test drive all of them so you would really know which one you like, feel-wise ---- Hyundai allows test-driving of the units....

Also, don't miss test-driving the Santa Fe R eVGT, the catbird of every midsize 7-seater SUV/ CUV running around the same cost like the others. By the time you and your wife would seat and be driving the Santa Fe, you will like it. The wife of my fellow geologist here has no problem driving the Fe while her husband is at work overseas. In fact, she raves about the Fe; but of course, same thing also goes for the Tucson.

Now sir, if Tucson be it, i would highly recommend the PhP1.338 M diesel R eVGT (177 hp, 392 Nm torque from 1800 rpm to 2500 rpm).... It's far advanced and the best buy than any of the 5-seater in the market today within that price range.

Like you, i'm considering a Hyundai Santa Fe now for the family!

Good luck!

ALIEN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm buying the Tucson. It's just that there are no available diesel varient.

Is the GL gas/MT a goog buy considering that the GL M/T is P300K less than the GLS diesel?

yen_san

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »
go for diesel. you will save more than 300K worth of fuel as you use your vehicle.

ALIEN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:03:19 AM »
The Tucson R eVGT 2.0L GL 4WD AT (diesel) is not available at the moment due to lack of supply. The Tucson Theta II 2.0L GLS AT 2WD  is readily available. I'm still comparing these 2 variant, and still cant decide until now.

Tucson Theta II 2.0L GLS AT 2WD 1,158,000
vs
Tucson R eVGT 2.0L GL 4WD AT (New) 1,338,000

We have an Innova G 2.5L Diesel AT and it consumes 8.1Km/L of diesel which compares to our Revo 1.8L gas consumption of 8Km/L. So if the Tucson GLS AT has better fuel consumption than the Innova, then the Tucson gas should be ok. Or should I wait for the arrival of the Tucson Diesel?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:17:13 AM by ALIEN »

jaejae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:31:31 AM »
1. Comfort. choose among your CUV choises
2. Flood. Montero of course
3. Fuel efficient. Sportivo, low power =low FC
4. A/T. - no idea sorry
5. Resale value. - Sportivo
6. Maintenance cost. Sportivo
7. Price, P1.4M below. - you can have any of them, GLS-V is over 1.4M a bit

I'm checking on these vehicles:
-Hyundai Tucson diesel AT
-Mitsubishi Montero GLS-V
-Nissan X-Trail
-Isuzu Sportivo
-Honda CR-V

GotToRead

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 10:38:38 PM »
Isuzu alterra! HAHAHA wala lang dahil isa lang akong isuzu afficionado HAHA

dtkiko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »

Not the 2011 SUV/CUV models, but the 2012's now within the PhP1.300 M to PhP1.400 M price range.

There are a lot of exciting and arguably better offer this 2012, i.e. within the manual-tranny SUV's and auto-tranny CUV's as listed below:

1. 2.0-litre Hyundai Tucson R-eVGT GL 4WD A/T - PhP1.338 M
2. 2.5-litre Mitsubishi Montero Sport GLX-V 2WD M/T - PhP1.330 M
3. 2.5-litre Toyota Fortuner D-4D G 2WD M/T - PhP1.330 M
4. 2.5-litre Ford Everest TDCi XLT 2WD M/T - PhP1.355 M

Power and torque are as follows:

1. Tucson 2.0 R-eVGT GL 4WD A/T- 177 ps, 392 Nm from 1800 rpm to 2500 rpm
2. Montero Sport 2.5 GLX-V 2WD M/T- 178 ps, 400 Nm at 2000 rpm
3. Fortuner 2.5 D-4D G 2WD M/T - 102 ps, 260 Nm from 1600 rpm to 2400 rpm
4. Everest 2.5 TDCi XLT 2WD M/T - 143 ps, 330 Nm from 1800 rpm to 2500 rpm

Ford Philippines, by the way, is offering good discounts on their current models in lieu of the coming 2012 models, might be wise to take advantage of this on-going promo across all models.

However, no word yet from Ford Philippines whether there will be equivalent Everest versions for the all-new 2012 2.2-litre and 3.2-litre Rangers coming this 1st quarter 2012.

mindkinetic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
u should have checked the chevrolet captiva .... it is the most underrated suv . owners of this suv have nothing to say but praises. in its vcdi engine is 150 horses and a pulling power of 320 nm of torque . in fact it is also frugal as far as fuel consumption is concerned. climbing steep terrain is effortless and at 1800rpm it goes at a speed of 100km/hr. though there's a considerable amount of body roll when driving on twist roads it is easily compensated because of its shortened wheelbase features.
In crash safety tests conducted by Euro NCAP, the Captiva was given a four out of five start crash rating
BMW 320d idrive
Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.5 duramax
suzuki swift