Poll

In your opinion, what are the two most competitive pick-up trucks in the Philippine Domestic Market today.

Mitsubishi Strada
4 (33.3%)
Nissan Frontier Navara
3 (25%)
Ford Ranger
1 (8.3%)
Toyota Hi-Lux
3 (25%)
Isuzu D-Max
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Pick-Up Trucks in the Philippine Domestic Market.  (Read 41985 times)

Beeboy Bargas

• Top Gear Magazine Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Pick-Up Trucks in the Philippine Domestic Market.
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »
Durability and off road capability.... surprise... Ranger
Cargo (Bulk not weight) and space (Cabin)...............Hilux

Strictly 4x4 work speaking any other categories is a toss up.....

Beeboy Bargas

• Top Gear Magazine Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
Most of my current clients nowadays for 4x4 driver training are mining companies, maybe you may want to have your people trained  you can contact me at 09194916008

teej_4x4ph

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 02:07:03 PM »
I think for reliability go for the... Isuzu Dmax

Off Road capability... Ranger

Power.... Ranger

Space... Hilux

pizzalancerevo

• Animo Mitsubishi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
Thanks guys!!!

Sir Beeboy, thanks for the offer... :) I'll just contact you regarding that matter... ;)

"Warning: 4G63 Powered, Don't Challenge or Get Smoked."

gasmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »
chess 888,

Sir ive got an info from a reliable n. pal..

NAVARA MT 4x2 = 1.026M
              AT 4x2 = 1.076M
              MT 4x4 = 1.339M
              AT 4x4 = 1.389M

Whats your choice between the triton and navara?  :)

Gazmaster

ches888

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »
Assuming that would be the official price of Universal Motors, not to consider the features or amenties that would come with it, I would have to choose the Mitsubishi Triton Stratda 3.2L over the Navara. To consider Thailand, Origin of both Triton & Navara for our market, this price would highly be overpriced (the Navara is cheaper compared to Triton 3.2l in Thailand) which makes the Triton a more practical choice and undoubtedly the "Best Buy" among the Utes. ;D

ches888

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »
just finished talking with Gab of Car and Recreational Vehicles (a sister company of Universal Motors) located in Pasong Tamo, December 3 ang launching date ng Nissan Navarra. 

At the following prices below, The Nissan Navarra 2.5l 4 X 4 variant is obviously overpriced to its co-Thailand made Mitsubishi Triton Strada 3.2L 4x4 based on both Nissan Navarra and Mitisubishi Tritons official prices in Thailand by a whopping p180th. >:(

2.5L 4 X 2 MT - P1.026 - ok lang ang price nito compared to thai price :)
2.5L 4 X 2 AT - P1.076 - 0k lang eto compared to thai price :)
2.5L 4 X 4 MT - P1.339 174HP - overpriced by 180th compared to thai price >:(
2.5L 4 X 4 AT - P1.389 174 HP - overpriced by p180th compared to thai price >:(

Sana maadjust pa sa tamang price ang 4x4 before the launching date  ::)  Hwag lang sana maging GREEDY(the 4x4 variant OVERPRICED BY AGAIN A WHOPPING 180TH!!!! >:(), para naman mabenta ng maramihan ang etong 2 to 3 year old na Nissan Navarra(2005 model po to sa U.S. and other countries, late 2004 sya lumabas as a 2005 model).  :o

KUNG PATULOY GANITO SI UNIVERSAL MOTORS(UMC), DI TALAGA BEBENTA ANG NISSAN.  WELL I COULD ONLY SAY NA "TAKE ADVANTAGE" SI UMC ngayon but sana not this much at baka magbackfire sa kanila............. :'(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:02:03 PM by ches888 »

gasmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 08:18:52 PM »
chess,

HI.. WE both have the same info. Hope there is an added interior specs if that will be the price of navara. I think sa strada if im not wrong binawasan nila ng interior specs ang Philipine version. Wala na ata POWER SEAT, d ba powered yung GLS sport sa Thailand? and i think yung seat mismo iba na texture pinalabas dito. Maybe thats the reason why they have a low price here.

Tama ba? im not sure.

gasmater

gaster

ches888

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
boss gasmaster,

i just checked with diamond motors, its confirmed na walang POWER SEAT ang local natin na 3.2L compared to its Thailand counterpart (though our triton also has Thailand as its origin.) But it still does not justify why the Nissan Navarra 4x4 (also from Thailand) which in Thailand is cheaper by about p70,000.00 when based on our current exchange rate, is much more expensive than the Triton 3.2l 4x4 here in the Philippines by p109,000.00.  I don't think that a power seat and other interior materials would cover or cost as much as p180,000.00  :)

By they way whats ur pickup ute of choice? :)

if you had to choose between the Triton 3.2l 4x4 with the Navarra 2.5l 4x4, what would your choice be? :)

thanks for your previous infos :D

gasmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 06:17:54 PM »
I waited almost 6 months for this new navara pero if this will be the price, ill choose
gls sport. Ung navara ilalabas dito chess INALIS PA REAR BEdLINER..did you see it on the first phil intl show? Wala bedliner yun unlike sa other market like thailand,uk,austaralia. The salesrep told me na ganun na ganun daw ilalabas nila dito, soooo 180tsnd plus the amt of bedliner = php 200,000.00

IM SORRY NAVARA. kahit hndi pa tau ON break na tau.uu :-*

ches888

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »
just an update:

sorry, but i might have overreacted with regards to the Navarra 4x4 pricing being overpriced...... ;D   When compared to the price of Ford ranger 3.0 4x4AT  in Thailand @ baht887,000.00, it seems that the Navarra is just right with its pricing.  I dunno how Mitsubishi Triton 3.2L 4x4 got its low price sans the driver side power seat, but lets just wait till the Navarras released to have our conclusion. ;D

gasmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2007, 10:19:06 AM »
chess888,

Sir do you have also a guess idea kung alin mas maganda cabin-ride (hndi bumpy)between the two? especially sa rear seats?

Wala ako makita feedback sa ride ng navara sa other mkt.

Pero nakita ko in actual yung navara i do have lots of pictures lalo na yung underchasis.

Comparing the two- mas malapad mga leafspring ng navara kaysa strada (same halos kalapad ng isuzu elf ko). Sa rear shock absorber naman mas maliit yung shock ng strada compared sa navara. I also counted the rr leafspring,mas marami ang sa srada compared sa navara. Ang leafsring ng Estrada is same ng L300van, which ive proven na hinda matagtag.Hndi ko lang ma-gets kung aln ang sinasabi sa mitsu na nasa babaw ng axle ang leafsprng.

GUESS ko lang,mas matagtag ang navara pero mas tougher kaysa estrada.

::)

bonifyde

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 02:51:20 PM »
After test driving and carefully considering all things... I finally made my choice!  I bought a Strada 3.2 GLS Sport!  I am so happy with the choice I made.

Hilux really attracted me because its a Toyota.  I have images of great reliability and re-sale value.  It is also a huge truck and the highest ground clearance. The back seat is more upright thus it has a more comfortable seating.  But I am dissapointed that it doesn't come with a bedliner and a passenger airbag.  The interior looks like the Innova.  Having a 1.4 million peso price tag... I expected more. 

Dmax was also very attractive because it is one of the cheapest but macho trucks around only because its a 4x2 truck.  Back in October, they said that the 4x4 version will come out soon and it will be almost 1.3 million pesos. Unfortunately,  even if the isuzu reputation makes it a bulletproof engine, the new 3.0 commonrail enging power and torque rating is one of the lowest in the field of trucks.  There are also more cheap plastic feel inside the cabin and the rear door really looks small. 

The Ford Ranger has a very tough look to it.  The grill just shouts at you to "stand back or else I will run you over!"  I didn't care for the interior of the Ranger.  Although the engine is something to think about.  Its torque rating is way out in front against the rest.  Yet I wasn't so sure about Ford reliability.  In the states, the entire campaign is all about FORD TOUGH.  I just don't feel that its not tough enough for our Philippine roads and traffic conditions. 

There's a lot of talk about the Nissan Navara.  Super powerful engine even if its just a 2.5cc engine.  I wish its already available.  The dealers said that the Navara will be available next year but wouldn't say when. 

Then my choiced pick.  The new 3.2 engine gives it enough power and torque to rival Hilux and leave Dmax behind.  With the price being at the 1.260 (after discount), I knew I am getting a great deal!  There has been no complaints about the 3.2 engine of the new Pajero so I thought that it is already a good indication that the Strada will be reliable.  Second thing that blew me over is the styling.  It is the only truck that looks the way it looks.  The strada isn't tough and rugged.  I call it a sexy brute!  The truck comes with so many things: big thick wheels, bedliner, stepboard, center computer that's a barometer, compass, measures fuel consumption, tells you how many kilometers you have in fuel, time, date, outside temp.  Also included is a tire guage that measures tire pressure and temparature.  The stereo sounds great and ofcourse its the only truck with a power rear window.  Did I mention that the style its a sexy brute?!  So far the power is off the hook... you can really feel the truck accelerate and cruise very well on the highway.  The ride does become bumpy at times but it is a truck.  I test drove the Hilux... the Strada is so much better in ride comfort than the Hilux.

If you are looking for the best value... get the Strada.
If you are looking for the cheapest truck... you have the Dmax and the 2.5 Strada to choose from... sexy brute styling for the strada and Tough truck look for the Dmax.
If you want to have the biggest truck around... get the Hilux.
If you want absolute power and torque... get the Ranger.
If you're still saving up... waiting for the Navara might be worth it.

That's my report... hope you guys keep on enjoying the 4x4 experience!
=)

Evobaru

• Car nut
  • A Stig Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 02:57:47 PM »
How come the Nissan Frontier Navara isn't available yet?They promised us in the M.I.A.S that it would be available in October but one month has passed and still no word from our agent... ???
I'm a heavy smoker (of tires)...

Deyn Man

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »
Durability and off road capability.... surprise... Ranger
Cargo (Bulk not weight) and space (Cabin)...............Hilux
Strictly 4x4 work speaking any other categories is a toss up.....
i agree with the resident off road guru ;D
for the toss up, i'd go for the strada due to its awesome looks and interior space (aside form the testimonial of bonifyde as well as the numerous brocehures i got...) ;)