Author Topic: Toyota Fortuner (2012) VS Montero Sport GLS-V  (Read 28922 times)

destroyer_13

• View Profile
Toyota Fortuner (2012) VS Montero Sport GLS-V
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
Hi guys! i'm planning to buy an SUV, since toyota has already revealed the newly facelifted fortuner.... i want to know which, now, is better....Toyota Fortuner (2012) VS Montero Sport GLS-V....

tnx!

mindkinetic

• View Profile
Re: Toyota Fortuner (2012) VS Montero Sport GLS-V
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »
in the POWER  department the montero delivers more vs the fortuner , the TWIST of the MONTERO IS ALSO greater compared with THE FORTUNER.  THE new FORTUNER UPGRADED IT'S SUSPENSION( NO NEED FOR AFTERMARKET) hence the ride is as well cushioned as the MONTERO. HOWEVER the FORTUNER CANNOT BE DENIED OF IT'S APPEAL. ONE LAWYER FRIEND OF MINE who plans to buy the FORTUNER has to wait up to february due to the long list of WAITING CLIENTS. THIS PROVES TO SHOW HOW PLANTED is the FORTUNER TO FILIPINO BUYERS. Contributing to this phenomenon is the fact that it's a TOYOTA. HENCE AS FAR AS RESALE VALUE IS CONSIDERED THE FORTUNER is sure to be HIGHER vs any suv in the market today. DURABILITY IS NO ISSUE FOR THE FORTUNER.
IF THERE WOULD be one strong attribute of Toyota through out the years of mass producing cars, that would be the toughness and reliability of the product. MAINTENANCE IS RELATIVELY cheaper due to the copious availability of replacement parts.

so unless there would be any use for the 176hp and 350nm of torque from the MONTERO; THE FORTUNER'S 160 HP AND 260 TWIST FOR THE G OR EVEN THE 102 HP AND 241 OF TORQUE from the 2.5 diesel variant will just be fine AND NO QUIBBLING ABOUT IT. ANYWAY IF YOU ARE FROM METRO MANILA/ LUZON , CHANCES ARE YOU WILL BE LIMITED IN YOUR SPEED OR YOU'LL GET A TICKET ;D
BMW 320d idrive
Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.5 duramax
suzuki swift

rdjl_13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
Just to clarify mindkinetic's post. 3.0 diesel V variant has 163hp and 343 nm of torque. 2.5 diesel G variant has 102 hp and 260 nm of torque. :)

boyski04

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Hi guys, I like your tips, advises and recommendations. In this regards,  I would like to receive the same as I shall be acquiring a diesel engine SUV this coming March-April. My budget ranges from P1.7-P2.0 M. Will appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

mindkinetic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
@boyskie i suggest that you make a new topic so that more forumers can attend to your inquiry
BMW 320d idrive
suzuki swift

winstonreah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:20:12 AM »
Chief Botchi, I would like to ask your opinion and inquire at the same time and for you guys out there, maybe u could help us. We are planning to by a fortuner diesel but just recently we received some negative feedbacks & in blogs about its engine pull, poor response during overtaking which is really dangerous, a thin clutch plate, expensive maintenance? We are considering to buy a Gasoline fed Fortuner the 2.7 VVti, is it good rather than the Diesel D4D 2.5/3.0 4x4? Fuel consumption wise I know diesel is much less in consumption but feedbacks says, because of VVTi tech it consumes less than the diesel engines D4D? How true ? What about the montero Gas AND Diesel engines?We are now caught in confusions on what to buy. Maybe you can share your thoughts, experiences, and choice? Thank you and have a safe day ahead!

mindkinetic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
@winstonreah i suggest do not be too dependent in what's being propounded in forums and the likes. be reminded that each person will always have a different feel and experience of the ride vs the others. perhaps the reason you encountered comments as to the alleged quandary of the fortuner diesel is due to the fact that this has been what your researching . to scilicit : some people may say that the d4d entry level of the fortuner may be underpowered; but you must consider from what particular point of view . for instance ; about 5years ago i would perhaps say the same that's because my style of driving is different, five years ago i will not hesitate under the right circumstance to floor the pedal; but on several occasions of eliciting thrill from the commuters tarmac there was one particular instance when my miss calculation almost resulted to accident. i thank heaven that my natural reflexes as a driver (plus divine intervention) made me do with the slightest adjustment thus avoiding the enevitable. this taught me a lesson to never understimate the abuse of speed from then on i manage to adopt a more cautious albeit a slower pace in my driving dynamics( suave na
lang ika nga). as for the 4x2 d4d fortuner the power is ok ; in fact though it has a very humble 102 hp it is still higher that the crosswind at 85hp. my point is that the fortuner entry level cannot be characterized timid or lax in speed . what toyota did is to calibrate the engine within the ambit of it's useable horsepower and torque so what you may lack in speed you gain in the fuel economy department.

in regards to your predilection of opting a gas engine from diesel:
i see no problem in this mainly because you can tap 160 horses from the gas variant of the fortuner 2.7 g  and a twisting force of 260. however because of the relentless hike in the prices of petrol this you must consider carefully.

now if you can manage to stretch your budget the top of the line fort with a big engine displacement of 3.0 will be your best shot , but the argumenting changellenge here is the 1.7M price tag which will definitely incur incremental figure if you procure the fort in the visayas and mindanao.
happy carshopping and best regards.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:34:54 AM by mindkinetic »
BMW 320d idrive
suzuki swift

winstonreah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
Thank you for the reply and advice chief mindkinetic! I nearly forgot to inquire based on your experience does D4D easily get smoke belching/ (ma usok) compare to other diesel brand engines even doing regular engine maintenance?

mindkinetic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
@winstoreah to answer your question let's evince how a previous diesel engine works;

before the d-4d technology diesel engines utilize low pressure mechanical injector delivering fuel to a pre-combustion chamber in the cylinder head. this conyributes to fuel economy but lacks refinement. kaya maalog at maingay ang mga diesel noon. now sometimes the fuel combustion failed to complete its process thereby resulting to smoke (mausok).the d4d common rail diesel is one of the latest technology in diesel contributing to cleaner emmision and is more precise compared to the archaic diesel technology.
BMW 320d idrive
suzuki swift

Feeter Silverster

• cruise with me!
  • Hyundai Toyota Starex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
And may I ask sir kung bakit maingay ang engine ng Montero Sport as compared sa ibang CRDI engines? Yung neighbor namin na MS mas maingay pa ang engine as compared sa old-engined Starex namin...

mindkinetic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:36 AM »
@feeter silvster diesel engines are inherently noisy due to the massive force produce via compression that enables it to burn oil. this is also the rational why diesel
engines have to be made tough as nails . the process like in any mechanical design will most likely than not incur loss in the form
of noise or vibration. newer technology in diesel engine eliminates a substancial amount of noise; methods such as damping ( to redue noise cause by vibration), superior engine calibration, and electrical designs are but few of how to address this quandary.

now as for the montero i cannot in FACT scilicit the reasons why it has a relatively noisier engine as i have not own one. but one thing im sure about is this;noise is not a sign of inferior design. the loud sound actually represents the powEr of combustion taking place. but then again there are more ways than one to subdue the noise.

sometimes the predilection of a car manufacturer varies as well ;for instance one car manufacturer may find the damping is less of a concern for so as long as the engine delivers within the quantified standards thereby resulting to a more loud engine vs the rest who considered otherwise.

BMW 320d idrive
suzuki swift

mhikk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »
And may I ask sir kung bakit maingay ang engine ng Montero Sport as compared sa ibang CRDI engines? Yung neighbor namin na MS mas maingay pa ang engine as compared sa old-engined Starex namin...

You probably mean maingay ang idle?

Meron silent (balancer) shaft yang engine ng Montero so it should be running smoothly at high rpm. Pero whistle ng turbo naman ang nag-iingay at higher rpm.

Maingay talaga ang idle ng diesel engine na tuned for high power @ high rpm. Mostly nasa advance side ang timing ng fuel injection at medyo malaki ang butas ng nozzle ng injector na ginagamit.

Kung medyo advance ang timing ng fuel injection mas malakas ang makina @ higher rpm kasi ang main injection ay nakukumpleto bago pa man lumayo ang piston sa Top Dead Center.

Ganun din kung medyo malaki ang butas ng nozzle ng injector, mas mabilis ma inject (unload) ang fuel at nakukumpleto ang  main injection bago pa man lumayo ng husto ang piston sa Top Dead Center

Yun nga lang, magkakaproblema talaga pagdating sa noise kung naka-idle ang makina. Lalo na kung hindi kagandahan quality ng fuel.

Kung maganda ang quality ng fuel, maiksi lang ang ignition delay at DAPAT, ignited na ang fuel sa unang buga pa lang ng injector.

Ang ideal combustion kasi ay habang  may sumisirit pa na diesel sa nozzle ng injector, dapat ay nagliliyab na ang dulo ng stream ng fuel.

Kung familiar kayo sa flame thrower na gamit sa WWII ganun dapat ang concept (mas marami lang na fuel na gamit sa flame thrower kaya mausok... heheh) ng ideal na ignition at combustion. Combustion means "pagkasunog".

Kung di maganda ang quality ng fuel, almost patapos na ang injection di pa rin nagliliyab ang fuel kaya nagiging saturated na ng vaporized na fuel ang chamber.

Sa dami ng fuel vapor/atomized fuel, nagkakaroon ng explosion sa loob ng chamber the moment na mag-autoignite ang vapor. Explosion means "pagsabog" ang kailangan sa loob ng chamber ay "pagkasunog" lang. Kung may ignition delay, meron explosion, ang explosion ay maingay. eto rin ang madalas kung tawagin  ay "fuel knock"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:17:55 PM by mhikk »

toki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
sir,bakit ung montero sport gls v auto trans.makunat ang stering wheel ,ganon po ba talaga ang montero?umakyat ako ng baguio via marcos high way ,ayaw magrelease ung 2nd gear.