Hyundai Elantra or Toyota Altis?

Hi, Botchi!

I hope you can help me as soon as possible, I'm torn between the Hyundai 1.6 Elantra with manual transmission and the Toyota Altis 1.6 E, also with manual transmission. This is my first brand-new car so I really need your expert opinion about it. I need to decide this week because I was able to sell my old car already.

By the way, I'm a lady lawyer in my early 30s and I often drive only in the city. I fell in love with the features and looks of the Elantra but I have doubts about its durability when compared to a Toyota car. Since this is my first brand-new car, I'm planning to keep it for five to seven years. Would the Elantra be worth it or is it all just looks without proven durability?

I don't really have an issue on the price since the Altis and the Elantra are priced at almost the same level. But is it true that Hyundai has a lower resale value?

Please help me. Thank you very much in advance and more power!

Little Miss Lawyer

Hi, Little Miss Lawyer!

What a nice and cute name you got there! I hear female lawyers are tough customers!

I recently drove the Hyundai Elantra 1.6 and I am smitten by the six-speed manual transmission. The clutch isn't as light as a typical Toyota clutch but it's still effortlessly easy compared to cars from a generation ago. Power delivery is good, and the extra gear means the first- to fifth-gear ratios are closer. Power is better spread out and accessed easier, and driving on the highway means the Elantra is more relaxed. The gearshift itself isn't super precise. Drive a Mazda or a Honda with manual transmission and you'll see what I mean. But it is decently precise, and gets into gear quite satisfyingly. You'll want to keep rowing through the gears anyway just for the heck of it. Blipping the throttle and rev-matching by double de-clutching is a lost art, but I digress as a sensible lawyer such as yourself probably won't even consider the things I am saying anyway.

In short, the Elantra is a great car--fun to drive, easy to handle, and offers a pretty good value for money. It looks great, too--far more stylish and adventurous than the safe, rather bland, Toyota Altis. Admittedly, the Elantra still doesn't feel as tight and as solid as the Altis. The suspension is a bit clunky, plus the electronic power-steering feels a bit weird. I liked it, but I feel a test drive for you should be in the cards to determine if you can live with its quirks.

Now, let's talk about the resale value. In the past, it is true that Hyundai was a laughingstock. Not many people cared about it. But fast-forward a generation later and it can rightfully hold its own against the more established Japanese brands with good, well-engineered and stylish cars.

As for the Toyota, here's the best way to sum up: there's nothing bad or wrong with it. The Altis is very refined, safe and solid. But I find no emotional connection or attachment to it. It feels rather boring, too. I haven't driven the manual 1.6 Altis yet so my comments are based on the image it manifests upon me. Driving it will be safe rather than exciting.

I fear my comments might not be as conclusive as you had hoped for but I hope that, somehow, you might find a better grasp on your dilemma on which car to buy. Me? I'd stick with the Hyundai because it looks better, it drives well, it has a very good driving position for aggressive sports driving and yet is still ergonomically and anatomically correct, even if the power steering is kinda weird.

Good luck, God bless and drive safe!

Consumer editor

Lost in a sea of cars and not quite sure which one to get? Click here to email your car query so Botchi can help you pick the right vehicle!

COMMENTS

• borikyo Mar 17 2012 @ 02:24pm
    Honda City/Jazz 1.3 MT maybe...great for city driving.
    • hondajazz Mar 17 2012 @ 08:50pm
      honda jazz is very fun to drive. :)
  • trebhz2k1 Mar 17 2012 @ 02:26pm
    Test drive both, then decide.
  • ReyMatt Mar 17 2012 @ 02:53pm
    If Little Miss Lawyer needs a new car very soon, i won't suggest the Elantra. I think there's a long waiting list for it
    • reggie_arki Mar 18 2012 @ 02:56pm
      just buy ladies car like ford focus or fiesta.. toyota corolla altis is masculine car
  • markdejesus76 Mar 17 2012 @ 03:37pm
    Toyota Altis. Much easier to drive. Easier to maintain, and will last for years even with bland design.
  • mindkinetic Mar 17 2012 @ 03:54pm
    madam as a lawyer i know that your predilection will depend more on the sterling reputation of your ride. not only that it has to be reliable, but must also reflect durablity and sturdiness . having said this may i strongly offer the Altis as my suggested ride for you . may i scilicit the following rational. 1. toyota is made to last , it remains to be the most reputable name in the car industry. 2. parts are copious (genuine and replacement this is important since you intend to keep tour ride for 7 or even 10 long lawyer years)3. maintainance is walk in the park, very easy to maintain and cheaper because of reason no. 2. 4. the exterior to me is good, i will never tire in looking at one 5. each time you arrive at your court schedules or meeting up your next client it will depict your character as a lawyer ( durable, tough, and 100% a winner) .
  • warak1422 Mar 17 2012 @ 04:27pm
  • GTi Mar 17 2012 @ 04:59pm
    Elantra na! Ganda talaga eh. Kapag malayo aakalain mong midsize sedan.
  • joab565 Mar 17 2012 @ 06:07pm
    Toyota Altis.
  • yokam888 Mar 17 2012 @ 07:05pm
    "Now, let's talk about the resale value. In the past, it is true that Hyundai was a laughingstock. Not many people cared about it. But fast-forward a generation later and it can rightfully hold its own against the more established Japanese brands with good, well-engineered and stylish cars"

this i have to disagree. may bias parin ang mga pinoy regarding car brands. if you plan to resell the car after 5 years, go for the safe choice toyota. yes its boring and old looking pero at the end of the day, it would sell higher just because its a japanese brand. maintenance cost of the toyota is also cheaper than the hyundai.

if you want the highest resale value, go for the japanese made civic or jazz.
    • hondajazz Mar 17 2012 @ 08:51pm
      yes sir!the jazz also has a high resale value :)
  • maklo02 Mar 17 2012 @ 08:21pm
    Himala di pa nagcocomment yung troll:))

Anyway, I like the elantra especially the styling but if you really want a trustworthy "tumatagal" na kotse, go for the Altis:) Easy to maintain, and a SURE higher resale value.
    • hondajazz Mar 17 2012 @ 08:52pm
      oo nga e.wala pa si hyundaibest dito.elantra at altis pa naman ang pinag uusapan.
    • markdejesus76 Mar 17 2012 @ 09:38pm
      babanat din un. haha
    • gogogo Mar 19 2012 @ 12:43pm
      wala na kasi ibang alam yun kundi santa fe kaya di siya makapagcomment tungkol sa elantra. hahaha
      • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:19pm
        hahaha korek pre!magbabasa muna ng brochure yung t*ng* na yun!horsepower lang alam niya e!hahaha!
  • hondajazz Mar 17 2012 @ 08:55pm
    Hi Little Miss Lawyer! I would suggest you go for the Altis. You said that you plan to keep the car for five to seven years right? If you would choose the Elantra, ma didisappoint ka lang.after ilang years lang madami ng masisira dyan.mahal pa ang parts.baka mapilitan ka lang na ibenta yan.at pag binenta mo.mura nalang yun dahil mababa ang resale value ng hyundai. E ang Altis very reliable and easy to maintain. :)
    -coming from a Honda fan.
  • Kim John Mar 17 2012 @ 09:47pm
    madam lawyer go for the new honda civic mas classy..
  • Kyoichi Sudo Mar 17 2012 @ 09:51pm
    Hi Little Miss Lawyer, why not try the Lancer 1.6, its very practical but has sure durability and can stay long unlike hyundai, or you can take a look also on the 2012 Honda City, very stylish and efficient, even the 1.3L variant, try also the All-New Kia Rio, this one is my bet especially the top-spec hatch variant!
    • RS500 Mar 17 2012 @ 10:10pm
      Honestly, bitin ka dun sa 1.6 lancer. dapat EX pa lancer kaso out of the budget na un.
      • Kyoichi Sudo Mar 17 2012 @ 10:41pm
        oo nga eh pero kahit yung body nya since 2003 pa maganda pa naman ang Lancer 1.6L kahit yun, matagal na ang body, actually we're planning to buy one, we're just choosing between the Lancer 1.6's 2 variants, GLX or GLS, in other words, Manual or Matic.
        • RS500 Mar 17 2012 @ 11:04pm
          ah.. sa bagay kanya kanyang taste naman yan. akin kasi walang appeal talaga ung montero sport saka ung lumang lancer.
        • hondajazz Mar 18 2012 @ 07:54pm
          tama pre.maganda padin yung lancer na yun.practical pa. :)
    • borikyo Mar 18 2012 @ 11:57am
      Matanda masyado yung Lancer 1.6...yung Kia Forte pwedeng pwede.
      • Kyoichi Sudo Mar 18 2012 @ 12:28pm
        but its too expensive, makakabili na ako ng Lancer EX GTA sa price ng Forte.
      • hondajazz Mar 18 2012 @ 07:56pm
        kyoichi sudo is right.why would you buy a kia forte?bumili ka nalang ng Lancer EX GT-A.poging pogi pa!
        • bruce Mar 19 2012 @ 11:17pm
          girl yung bibili kaya di bebenta kung sasabihing pogi, haha.. pero bagay din sa girls yung EX GT-A na yan, ganda kasi..
  • Feeter Silverster Mar 17 2012 @ 10:14pm
    Botchi is just answering Little Liss Lawyer's question, don't recommend any model not included on her choice. What I can't understand is why she's choosing manual over matic tranny while she's just driving it around the metro? It will be very difficult if she had her stiletto on.
    • RS500 Mar 17 2012 @ 10:23pm
      I agree. I drive an automatic but that doesn't mean I suck at driving. Automatics is for city driving while you can enjoy manual for long cruising trips.
    • fortis Mar 18 2012 @ 03:45pm
      could be the ease and cost of maintenance for the A/T. It is still cheaper to fix a broken M/T than an A/T and more durable also.
  • RS500 Mar 17 2012 @ 10:21pm
    "this is my first brand-new car, I'm planning to keep it for five to seven years. "

Well then cross-out korean cars on your list. Di naman bias, maganda naman mga korean cars ngayon. Ok ang designs nila pati overall ergonomics. Pero ang malaking question diyan ay kung tatagal yang engine technology nila after 5-7 years sabi mo nga. So pinaka safe pa din pag dating sa reliability ang mga japanese cars, diesel or gasoline.

Sir Botchi, so you are willing to sacrifice long term ownership and reliability to funky design and aggressive sports driving? God almighty what happened to your columns. It is like reading fake brochure.
    • markdejesus76 Mar 18 2012 @ 07:23am
      mejo bias na nga pagdating sa ganyang looks vs reliability ee.
    • hondajazz Mar 18 2012 @ 07:57pm
      kaya nga e.ano kaya iniisip ni sir botchi?
      • RS500 Mar 18 2012 @ 10:19pm
        gulo eh noh? minsan honda fan, minsan hyundai fan. pero 3 toyota naman kotse niya: hilux, supra, and yaris.
        • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:21pm
          oo nga e.paiba iba.sa wrong car right car ng march issue yung honda city ang pinili nya.e may hyundai accent sa mga pagpipilian.ang gulo nya!haha!
  • roadrage Mar 17 2012 @ 10:38pm
    li'l miss lawyer would surely be happy if she chooses the altis. though the elantra might be showing an edge over the altis, its safer to get the altis this point of time for secured feeling/mind and easy maintenance. i would say elantra must take more years to prove itself worthy. going for the elantra may still be a hit or miss engagement. IMHO.
  • someonespecialisme Mar 18 2012 @ 12:44am
    little miss lawyer..for me get the altis 1.6E or maybe check out the new civic..considering that you plan to keep the car for the next 5-7 years, better go for the safe bet...
    for me, the elantra looks great and sabi nga..its fun to drive daw but i think, as a lady lawyer in her 30's..you don't really care about the performance..all you need is a simple car that gets you from your house to your law office...the altis and the civic are known brands but resale value wise, the civic would hold a much higher resale value..
    with the elantra, we're not yet sure with its durability and its design, im sure people will start getting used to the way it looks and mawawala rin sa uso yun.. and considering hyundai's aggressiveness, i bet aggressive din ang redesign..
    so just get the altis since its the safest bet, its durable, and since toyota is conservative, chances are the next one would not look so far away from the one you will buy
  • alxnd21 Mar 18 2012 @ 01:08am
    I will trully agree on what Sir Botchi analyze about the Toyota Altis and Hyundai Elantra...

If you want to be a risk averse on your money that will be used in buying a car then choose Toyota Altis because of it's durability, performance, reliability and low cost maintenance that you really count on a Toyota Car the many years past.

But if you want to be a risk taker then you can choose to buy a Hyundai Elantra because of it's high performance, design, interior, soft ride and handling.. Durability and Reliability is your priorities? I hope you would give a chance on this car or any HYUNDAI Brand because they are already developing car company with a great engine performance and design as well as durability of their car as a priority today. Also consider to get to test drive and better choose a Hyundai Tucson 2.0 manual transmission with same performance, greater design and higher ground clearance for Manila flood advantage than a sedan.

But wait, you are a really a tough and great driver woman for driving a manual car in Manila... You can consider to get a Automatic Transmission with Manual Mode car with a greater variant and features electronically and convenience of a car. Just to be sure you don't forget to bring a battery jumper or extra battery for emergency of electric cut-off as a remedy of one of constraints of a A/T car.. Using a car with AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION doesn't mean you are a not good driver, but it is your performance on how you handle a car in a safe but exciting way of driving.

GOOD LUCK Miss Lawyer! =)
  • ashek268 Mar 18 2012 @ 06:42am
    Since it's your first car go for the Altis since it's expected to last longer than the Hyundai. It's that simple.
    • hondajazz Mar 18 2012 @ 07:58pm
      correct.that elantra won't last long.
  • marcha77 Mar 18 2012 @ 08:00am
    Hi Little Miss Lawyer. I have owned a Toyota altis and just last year the hyundai elantra. As Botching said, both cars are very good. I would just like to dispel the reliability and resale issue. Reliability is not exclusive to Japanese, American or European cars. Hyundai is also reliable but it would always depend on how you maintain your vehicle. This is true for all vehicles. I guess being the 2011 car of the year in the US is a testament to its good design and product quality. As for resale value, it's my opinion that you don't buy cars for its resale value. You buy cars because you want to use it for whatever purpose you want. If you are concerned with resale value, just buy a second hand car.

• mindkinetic Mar 18 2012 @ 08:18am
      @marcha there is no doubt as per reliability of both cars provided reliability is defined as one vehicle that can drve you from point a to pint b. i also have a hyundai tucson 2006 an yes it is a reliable car and i have always followed its proper pms schedule. what happened is this on the 2nd year the rod has to be replaced on the 3rd year the hub bearing ( front and rear have to be replaced) the interior beige rubber painting chipped off on its 3rd year as well. now as far as the 1st two issues are concerned it was replaced via hyundai warranty. however i also own a chev 2009 and for 3years of use and abuse i have no issues yet. some say the interior is bland , but at least its durable so as no occurence of chipping from any rubber painting and the likes. mechanical
      and electrical and damping are all clear from issues. this is what durability is all about. the ability of a car to withstand not only natural wear and tear but likewise modicum of abuse.
      • Kyoichi Sudo Mar 18 2012 @ 09:42am
        Thank you sir for that wonderful comment, many will appreciate it and many will be informed.
        • mindkinetic Mar 18 2012 @ 12:32pm
          tnx for the appreciation kyoichi sudo
      • hondajazz Mar 18 2012 @ 08:01pm
        SANA MABASA TO NI HYUNDAIBEST.PARA MALAMAN NIYA ANG KATOTOHANAN.di naman talaga reliable ang mga hyundai e.mas mura nga siya.e ang parts naman ilang taon lang sira na.oh diba mas napamahal ka pa dahil sa pagtitipid mo?kaya BIG NO talaga ang hyundai e :)
      • marcha77 Mar 18 2012 @ 11:43pm
        Appreciate the reply. As I have said earlier, I speak based on my experiences with the cars mentioned. I am sorry for your bad experiences but in the same way I have had bad issues with the altis. By the way, I have previously owned a Mazda 3, Honda civic, Toyota Camry, Subaru forester, chevrolet venture, hundai starex, ford F150, ford sportrac, Kia sorento. So you see I have had a lot of different experiences with many car brands. Some are bad some are good. With regards to reliability and durability only time will tell. I only have my elantra for 10 months now. I am enjoying my experience wih this car based on my driving habits. It's too early to tell how this car will fare in the future. Hopefully it survives me. By the way, to give you an idea how I use my car, I travel around 600 to 800 km a week passing thru STAR, Slex and NLEX.

As for the other comments, until the time comes that you get to own, drive and experience the other car brands will you be able to understand these things I am saying.
        • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:23pm
          600 to 800 km a week. omg. O.o
  • kimxanne Mar 18 2012 @ 09:57am
    i drove the elantra about 2 weeks ago on a test drive from the local dealership, it looks smooth and stylish but the ride is the total opposite, the steering reminds me of playing arcade games, its so loose and unstable, plus the suspensipn is very clunky, parang hindi tatagal at kakalampag kaagad, the plastic material looks good from a distance but once you get a good look at it, it feels cheap compared to the japanese brands.. the engine is not that bad though, its a bit quick but the shifting is not that smooth, plus they come in timing chains, no needcto worry about common problems in timing belts in the long run..

ps. if you happen to be inside an elantra, check out the top of the dash on the driver's side, more likely magagalaw mo cya na parang baby tooth na malapit na matanggal
    • Kyoichi Sudo Mar 18 2012 @ 12:31pm
      May Elantra ngayon sa MOA, ill check it again especially the dash....
      • kimxanne Mar 18 2012 @ 03:21pm
        napansin mo rin ba kyoichi sudo? i saw it first on youtube, kinonfirm ko nung ng test drive ako, ayun positive nga..
        • Kyoichi Sudo Mar 18 2012 @ 04:15pm
          I'm here in MOA and i check again the Elantra 1.6L MT on display and yes! its positive!
          • kimxanne Mar 18 2012 @ 06:02pm
            ayuun! hehe
          • hondajazz Mar 18 2012 @ 08:47pm
            ano pre?matumal talaga ang elantra?hahaha!
            • kimxanne Mar 21 2012 @ 07:53am
              no good pre.. hehe id rather drive a civic..
              • hondajazz Mar 22 2012 @ 03:48pm
                naman!tested and trusted na ang civic.
      • dsobreo Mar 18 2012 @ 07:45pm
        Napaka gala mo naman.... Hahahaha umabot ka pa ng North Edsa eh taga Cavite ka
    • hondajazz Mar 18 2012 @ 08:48pm
      hyundai cars has poor quality talaga.yung mga materials na ginamit tipid na tipid lang e.hindi matibay.
      • RS500 Mar 18 2012 @ 10:17pm
        ok din naman. pero napansin ko sa elantra saka accent di gaano maganda ung plastics sa doors pati dash. di tulad ng sante fe at tucson nila.
        • dsobreo Mar 18 2012 @ 11:52pm
          Mas feel ko pa sir yung plastic ng Sportage kesa sa Tucson
          • RS500 Mar 19 2012 @ 11:18am
            talaga? di ko pa kasi nasasakyan ung bagong sportage.
            • dsobreo Mar 19 2012 @ 11:27pm
              Yes sir, iba yung plastic nila
    • RS500 Mar 18 2012 @ 10:16pm
      same sentiments when i test drove it a month after it was debuted at last year's MIAS. Para kay mommy sana na pang everyday car niya. Kaso nung napansin ko ung ride nagisip isip kami. in the end nag City na lang siya.
      • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:25pm
        Honda yow! :D
        matagtag ba ang elantra?
  • kimxanne Mar 18 2012 @ 10:54am
    (Your thoughts on the article...)
  • dextermorgan Mar 18 2012 @ 11:42am
    miss i suggest you waitf for the manila ato show and from there you can compare and test drive cars even ones you havent thought you would like
  • gvm0116 Mar 18 2012 @ 12:03pm
    @little miss lawyer - Kuha ka ng Hyundai! The best talaga yan.Talo ang Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Mercedes, BMW and Lexus. Kulelat silang lahat sa Super powerful, eltraelectromagnetic Elantra.
    Teka, teka... Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Hindi naman ako si hyundaibest a. Anyway, I suggest you also might want to try out the Lancer (old but still striking although it has a bigger displacement), not the GLS/GLX or Focus. At the end of the day, it's always best to have considered all available options. Cheers!
    • Feeter Silverster Mar 18 2012 @ 09:00pm
      bwahahahahaha!
      aprub
    • Adelbert Mar 18 2012 @ 09:22pm
      Akala ko si HyundaiBest gumawa ng bagong account hahaha
      • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:25pm
        akala ko din e!hahaha!
    • kyrejohn Mar 19 2012 @ 10:56am
      hahahahahaha! si bobong HyundieBest!
  • rickyricardo Mar 18 2012 @ 12:23pm
    Hyundai Elantra na piliin mo.
    Huwag mo na intindihin ang resale value. Expected mo ba na mahirap ka pa rin after 7 years.
    Maging optimistic ka.
    Abogado ka, malaki na kikitain mo sa loob ng tatlong taon.
    Pwede ka ng bumili ng bago pag-expire ng warranty.

• Kyoichi Sudo Mar 18 2012 @ 12:42pm
      Dude, its all about value for money, hindi palibhasa Lawyer sya eh ubos-ubos biyaya na sya pag nagkapera sya ulit, mura nga pero baka naman mapamahal ka pa dahil after illang years marami nang kailangan palitan, oh edi para ka lang bumili ng 2012 Honda Civic o Mitsu Lancer EX, so choose wisely. The Updated Honda City is Highly recommended for you, litte miss lawyer. We used to own a 2006 Honda City 1.3S but my dad sold it for a new vehicle. We sold it last November 2011 and since we bought it last 2006, wla kaming naging problema sa City namin for the 5 years of our ownership of it, of course we do regular check-ups on it(monthly, masyado kaming sigurista eh) sa Honda Alabang, we even changed its stock rims to Rota and even the muffler to make a litte more race-like engine sound. Alagang-alaga namin un until sa nabenta na namin. So no doubt, the Honda City is the one.
  • 17Sphynx17 Mar 18 2012 @ 12:46pm
    Among the two, Altis is the better choice for you. It might be a safe choice, but a good choice none the less.

I don't think there really is a need for me to add into the discussion.

Good luck Little Miss Lawyer and I hope your purchase will take you through many many miles with no headaches. =)
  • Allain Mar 18 2012 @ 01:51pm
    Try to watch the reviews of this two cars on youtube. They always says that if you want a car that is value for money get a Hyundai Elantra 2012. Hyundai Elantra is North America Car of the Year 2011. This car beats the Ford Focus and Volkswagen Passat. Honda Civic won this award in 2006 also. Toyota Altis is not a bad car either actually it is a bestseller among compact sedans but why if was never chosen as Car of the year? Maybe Filipinos just loves Toyota that we don't want to give others a chance.
    • Kyoichi Sudo Mar 18 2012 @ 02:15pm
      Not all Filipinos loves Toyota, not even majority.
    • 17Sphynx17 Mar 18 2012 @ 02:17pm
      @Allain

I am all for looking at reviews but I find it a concern when you refer to an award for a category of a different country/different market altogether. Granted it is insightful/informative to know that this certain vehicle garnered this honor/rating in this country however it just means one thing, it got that award in that country.

I would like to emphasize that there is a real difference in markets when you compare ours to that of North America and of other countries, right? This includes the standard specs, options you can avail of and even engine size/type. Granted I can't compare it all for us to see but I think that is a pretty relevant fact some may fail to consider.

Just think of it this way, in each market, the consumers have certain mindsets/criteria that needs to be addressed. As such, what is offered in Market A is not necessarily what is offered in Market B. The name/badge maybe the same, but it's an entirely different package/set.

Why is it that there are certain models only sold here/there and not sold elsewhere? Because the market affected possible demand and/or features.

I am not saying the Elantra is a bad car, I am just saying there is still that difference we must consider.

Second, granting that the specs are similar/the same, it doesn't reflect the same with the 1)after sales service and 2)the difference in conditions the vehicle will be subjected to.

One example is the Tata Nano. That vehicle was supposedly cheap. And it was in India. But once they moved it to a different market like Europe, they had to upgrade a lot of stuff like safety features etc etc. And affected its price. But it was still the Tata Nano.

So I don't think it's really the bias per se but would you really want to gamble (at this point in time) your hard earned money for something you are not 100% sure of? Most would go with the safe choice but that just means the other needs to improve or prove it a little longer that it is in fact on par with in "our market".

So far, based on my experience, there are still shortcomings for the brand which make it a bit risky compared to the Japanese ones.

Cheers!
  • jojo204200 Mar 18 2012 @ 02:50pm
    Madam Lawyer,
    Please don't think of the resale value especially when you're considering 5 to 7 years of use.
    Baka manghinayang ka lang at di yung isa ang binili mo dahil sa resale value.
    I've owned Toyotas and Hyundais before and not a single time I'm frustrated when I sold them, my reason, napakinabangan ko na iyon, let others enjoy them kahit mababa ang pagkabenta ko. Just have a testdrive and feel the two cars.
  • jim82592 Mar 18 2012 @ 05:48pm
    Hi Little Miss Lawyer! I would suggest you go for the Altis!
  • dsobreo Mar 18 2012 @ 07:58pm
    I don't think tumatagal ang mga sasakyan ngayon ng 7-10 yrs sa mga garage natin. Pag may new car na lumabas, most of us binebenta yung mga luma natin para sa bago so reliability I think is not a concern. In terms of resale value, lamang ang Japanese, pero bakit madalas nakikita natin sa mga second hand shop puro Japs? kala ko ba reliable to? Bakit binebenta agad ng mga may-ari? Di ko naman sinasabi na sobrang reliable ng Koreans pero ask yourself guys... I love Lancer, City and Swift kaya di din naman ako masyado bias sa Koreans...
    • 17Sphynx17 Mar 18 2012 @ 10:05pm
      I would beg to disagree sir. Japanese cars still tend to last even with the advent of these new "innovations" they have. Granted some were problematic in the long run like the Honda City's 7 speed CVT in the previous generation which would tend to have issues later on if you repeatedly "used" the manual mode. (I recall this as an issue among some users). But again, we have the same model going 5 years this year and it still runs like a charm. It really depends on how you take care of it.

Why are a lot of second hand vehicles in the shops? Well, we don't why but I can be sure it might be for regular maintenance or check up or that the previous owner didn't really take care of it as they had a mindset that they were going to dispose of it already so to hell with it. As a result, the problems are occuring. Also, being second hand, you really can't be sure what parts are worn out already when you buy it so that is the risk involved. Some of them could just have minor patching up or repairs/replacements that need doing, but again mostly minor.

At present, we have a 13 year old Toyota Revo diesel manual that still runs, albeit with a few quirks already but hey, it comes with age. I can't say the same for a lot of the Starexes of similar age up to now. I actually try and notice whether or not I see Kia Prides, Pregios, or Starexes of the first gen (in our market) still plying our roads and I must admit the numbers are dwindling more rapidly than their japanese counterparts. The pride is almost non existent to me give or take a few taxis I see from time to time which is rare already. I don't see Pregios as well anymore in Metro Manila but that may be just me.

Before that, we owned for 10 years a Toyota Hiace (which we failed to maintain properly in its later years which ended up ruining some parts) and a 14 year old Toyota Tamaraw FX Jeep type (we also didn't notice that the odometer was actually broken so we were guessing service intervals which broke the engine). It's selling price was that of a high-end consumer laptop but we got as much out of it as we could.

Our other vehicle ownership was actually cut short by Ondoy but they were all in good working order prior to the flood like the Altis that came out 2001, it was only 7 years old when it got flooded and Innova where it was only about 4 years old.

For me, as a consumer, I really use the car to the extent that it can serve me and my family. We really try to prolong the ownership of the cars because quite frankly, it is a more economical way of ownership rather than buying cars because the new model has X improvement in mileage. I really don't believe in only 5 year ownership of vehicles because I see that as a waste of valuable funds. But that is my own personal perception and also how I was raised to value these kind of things.

If people want me to expound or elaborate this, I will be really happy to. =)

Cheers!
    • 17Sphynx17 Mar 18 2012 @ 10:18pm
      Oh and we did own 2 Korean vehicles in our time. a Kia Pride back in '99 if I am not mistaken and a Kia Carens back in 2008. I understand the issues with the Pride as it was a mish-mash of various parts from various brands and it was sold after 4 years. We sold the Carens after 3 years (AT) as it was already popping up a lot of problems like its Turbo (replaced twice), its suspension (once), improper headlamp seal causing moisture in the lamps (repaired twice still the same) and airbag error (the last straw which made us sell the car). On each occassion, once each of the problem propped up, we had to wait 3 weeks minimum for the parts as it was major (the turbo and suspension). And on one occassion after having it in the shop for almost a month, we had to bring it back again after just a week of use because the problem reoccured. Now, I wouldn't say that is a nightmare scenario but it was bad because instead of being able to use the vehicle, we had to leave it in the shop for maintenance and there is no offer for a service car while it is in the shop for that long. So, even with the new generation of Korean cars (love their diesel engines by the way), the caution was only reinforced after our experience. So I'd say I'd have to wait for another 5 more years and see what has changed.

The Accent engine knock I believe was because the users didn't read the manual pertaining to the required octane rating which is 95. Caltex Gold or its equivalent would be the proper fuel to put into it, not unleaded which is 93 octane rating only. But still, this was a crucial item that should have been mentioned on the onset so I would say both the owner and the dealer are at fault for this issue if that were the case. Compare that with the Altis requirement of 89 only. (I recall this was the rating indicating in the manual of my bro's 2001/2009 Altis).

• dsobreo Mar 18 2012 @ 11:51pm
        Regarding sa reliability po sir, wala naman kaming issues sa Old Accent namin... Even though 80k in 2 years and 5mos palang sya, wala sya problem. Yun nga lang madalas sa Casa kasi palit ng palit ng filter sa sobrang pag gamit and madalas din kami masabitan. Rather than that wala na po kami problem sa tingin ko maintenance mo parin magpapatagal ng kotse mo.
        • kyrejohn Mar 19 2012 @ 11:06am
          wahahahah! yung Accent na mukang t*ng* pa pala kotse mo pre.haha!
          • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:29pm
            hahaha tado ka pre walang ganyanan!
          • dsobreo Mar 19 2012 @ 11:24pm
            OK lang sir, we manage naman yung 17km/l na combined FE.... Efficiency over Design... Nextime nalang bibili ng bago =)
  • Theognosis Mar 18 2012 @ 08:48pm
    If you're petite, the Elantra is not for you. It's got a very high belt line, especially at the back. That means poor visibility for you and the kids. It's longer, too, so it's much more difficult to drive.

In terms of design, the face-lifted Altis is very elegant like a Camry while the Elantra looks cheap to me. I'm a Porsche fan so I hate cars that look like deformed clay models. And don't listen to the guys here who don't consider resale value as important. Cars are not like disposable diapers that you can throw away once you're done with it.

As for the car of the year in America, don't be misled. It's not the same banana. The Corollas that are being sold in the US are mostly low-end versions with steel rims and no climate control. Here in Southeast Asia, the Corollas have higher specs as the Corolla is positioned in the market as a "luxury" vehicle. The prices are double here, so vendors have to upgrade the lower models to be on par with the likes of Accord, Camry, etc.

By the way, I've made reservations for a pearl white Altis 1.6V A/T for my wife and the car is arriving in 2 weeks. Perhaps, you should get one, too. ;)
  • Feeter Silverster Mar 18 2012 @ 08:59pm
    Yes I agree, reliability still depends on how you take care of the car, the proper care really counts. Then the resale value will depend on you.
  • GBfive Mar 18 2012 @ 09:06pm
    Altis.
  • rupert Mar 18 2012 @ 09:48pm
    Go! For the Toyota Altis Tried and tested na yan!!
  • goldcrow Mar 18 2012 @ 11:28pm
    The Elantra I agree looks great but a bit too flashy. That flashy appeal wears off quite easily especially when a newer model comes along to replace it. Then there's the questionable build quality, and before I forget, add in that huge butt, quite a turn-off but this is just me.

If you're planning on driving a manual in the city, better get the Altis instead. I've driven a few manual-equipped 'yotas and they have the lightest feel on the clutch. This will greatly help in stop-and-go traffic. Most of the people who commented said the truth, get the Toyota if you want something hassle-free for the next 5-7 years.
  • anson Mar 19 2012 @ 12:00am
    ms. little lawyer go for elentra it's more fuel efficient , more elegant & same durability as the japanese counter part , it have 5 years warranty and it will represent & reflect your line of work promptly .
  • anson Mar 19 2012 @ 12:08am
    i like to add that all spare parts for new cars are expensive , you can try shops in banawe not casa price , of a CLUTCH sets and you will notice the korean brand is a little cheaper !

for the steering you will feel super lite bec it's not the old pnumatic (fluid) type .
    i am using a 8 yr old altis , im telling yah , spareparts are expensive , it also have rattling sounds from the dash at meron din kumakalampag sa ilalim .
  • dheezhee Mar 19 2012 @ 01:23am
    'I fell in love with the features and looks of the Elantra' - buy the car you love
    'but I have doubts about its durability when compared to a Toyota car' - and you won't care about durability

It's your first car right? Safe to assume that you don't look at it as an appliance to get around the city. You want something exciting and stylish to show that you're an up and coming lawyer. You don't want to look like your driving Dad's car (sorry, it really looks like Dad's car). Get the Elantra.
  • Adelbert Mar 19 2012 @ 09:46am
    We have a 20-year old Corolla at our house. It's still running with very minimal problems. There are tons of older Corollas still running. I guess that's enough to attest that the car would last longer than the Elantra.
  • adgarcia Mar 19 2012 @ 10:38am
    Go for the Elantra, Altis lack some features like an E variant, but, the disadvantages of having an Elantra is you have to service it from time to time... It can make you disappointed.
  • kyrejohn Mar 19 2012 @ 11:03am
    My choice here will be the Altis coz its a tank.. BUT looking at old Altis sa daan. napapasabi ako lagi "ang mahal ng Altis na yan dati pero tingnan mo sobrang panget na tingnan compared sa Honda counterpart nya". Boring at most ang Altis, after ilang years panget na talaga.

Hirap pumili between Elantra and Altis. Magandang design at panget na performance against panget na design at maganda ang performance. pwede ba both? Focus, EX, CIVIC?? Imprezza will make you way coooool lawyer.
    • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:34pm
      yung lumang altis diba ang kasabayan niya yung ES na civic?yung altis na yun hindi na masyadong maganda e.pero yung ES na civic pogi padin ngayon. :)
  • BOOGIECAT Mar 19 2012 @ 01:50pm
    Corolla Altis parin!
  • jclogan Mar 19 2012 @ 01:54pm
    If you wanna be a typical lawyer, buy the Altis. If you want to be something else & stand out a bit, take the Elantra. Forget the resale value, the difference will hardly matter.
  • meizterwerk Mar 19 2012 @ 03:12pm
    altis here. the altis looks fine. In years to come, it will still looks fine.credit to hyundai in trying to build something good but the design of the elantra was too complicated. in years to come, those lines may look deformed or dented.The clean sheet of altis will withstand the test of time.
  • hondajazz Mar 19 2012 @ 08:34pm
    mahalin natin ang mga sasakyan natin.alagaan natin sila. :)
  • lord_cykb24 Mar 20 2012 @ 11:15am
    hey botchi forgot to mention other alternatives, Little Miss Lawyer, also try to consider in you're list the Mitsubishi Lancer EX. Since the budget is not the problem then go for the GT-A. In the past few days (months), since the release of The New Elantra I really the styling because of the fluidic structure. But as the days gone by and even seen the flesh the Elantra everyday, I've felt myself bland and it's boring anyway, just like the typical Toyota's (except the LC's). The Lancer EX styling is different, more aggressive design and also fit for a lady like you. Bottomline, Mitsu's are easy to maintain unlike the Hyundai's, which my friends testimonies who've owns also, are very expensive to maintain.
  • meizterwerk Mar 20 2012 @ 12:49pm
    if you are not in a hurry to have a new car, better save a little and wait for the toyota gt86. a lawyer in a rear drive-2 door coupe with boxer engine rocks.
  • kiamoyman Mar 21 2012 @ 02:12pm
    Hi Ms. Lawyer, we have the same situation, although limited ang budget ko. I'm torn between elantra and altis. But I might go with the altis. Sabi nga nila tried and tested na ang toyota. Maybe, next time nalang ang stylish car.

Pero more insights please!! Heheh
  • td21 Mar 22 2012 @ 03:47pm
    Go for the Elantra. It has better aerodynamics compared to Corolla Altis. Better aerodynamics translates to better fuel economy and shorter stopping distance. It also comes with a set of low-rolling resistance tires for better performance and road grip.
  • jasonstriker34 Mar 23 2012 @ 11:10am
    madam pag mag-altis ka pormahan mo nlang para di common.. gastos-tusan mo pa
    kapag elantra 5 year warranty naman... just follow the expert i hope he won't fail you
  • Troytin Mar 26 2012 @ 10:14pm
    Okay naman ang Altis at ang Elantra. Yun nga lang, hindi padin tayo sure kung tatagal ang Elantra tulad ng Altis.
  • KERSMcPherson Apr 12 2012 @ 09:30am
    Both are good car, especially nowadays, where the battle is more on car-technology rather than brand and reliability.
    IMO, choosing between these 2 ends with yourself, your personality. Do you consider yourself as "moving forward", then get the Altis. Or like "fluidic sculpture', then Elantra is for you.

• Dosayla4wd May 14 2012 @ 12:21pm