Mitsubishi Montero Sport vs Toyota Fortuner

Good day, sir!

I'm a great fan of
Top Gear Philippines! It's awesome! I have all the issues from 2007.

Anyway, my family is going to buy a new car in December and we're stuck in deciding what car to choose between a Toyota Fortuner 2.5D and a Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2.5D. We're choosing a 4x2 because we don't think we need a 4x4. Personally, I like the Fortuner solely because of the looks. I was able to convince my dad to buy a Fortuner but I came across a site where I found out D4D engines can never be trusted because they stall unpredictably. They also have a choking problem. Different sites said D4D has a problem with the fuel supply pump. We don't want to spend money on something that will keep us worrying every time we use it. I also read from the site of the Fortuner Club of the Philippines that the Fortuner of one member stalled while overtaking on a highway going to Baguio. That's very dangerous and disappointing. I was really, really turned off when I learned about this. Also, the Fortuner has a very bumpy ride as compared to the Montero Sport. Although the Montero has winning specs, I love the looks of the Fortuner so much.

I need your expert advice. I hope that you reply soon.

All the best,

Luigi

Hi Luigi!

Glad to hear from you!

Both SUVs are great. If you ended up with either of them, you'll be very happy indeed.

Regarding the Fortuner's diesel fuel problems, I believe a lot of it is exaggerated. I own a 3.0 D4-D Hilux AWD and I have never had a problem with it (knock on wood!). What's crucial is for you to fill up in a clean gasoline forecourt/station that always stocks new diesel and does not get flooded. The D4-D/CRDI system of Toyota definitely does not take much abuse from poor diesel fuel quality so prevention of getting bad diesel into the engine is key.

Another thing is to make sure that you religiously follow Toyota's scheduled maintenance service of 5,000 kilometers even when using fully-synthetic oil. It's quite costly as each service costs me about P8,000 for almost seven liters of oil, filters and some cleaning chemicals that the dealership uses but my Hilux has never missed a beat after having covered almost 80,000 kilometers in four years.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the 2.5 D4-D engine because it is, in my own opinion, pitifully weak, and is nothing compared to the Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4-D variant.

Now the Montero Sport 2.5 however is a real bargain. Spec for spec, value-for-money, performance-wise, it is hard to beat the Montero Sport! This is one fast SUV. When you're wondering if you really need a Montero Sport 3.2, just get inside and you'll see where your extra money was spent on.

The Fortuner does look classier inside, uses better quality plastics and has better headroom than the Montero, but in my opinion is not worth the stiff premium they are asking compared to the Montero Sport.

Good luck!

Lost in a sea of cars and not quite sure which one to get? Click here to email your car query so Botchi can help you pick the right vehicle!

COMMENTS

• ninoy77 Dec 04 2009 @ 12:49pm
    maganda montero......dammm
  • Vetrx Dec 18 2009 @ 01:38pm
    For me Fortuner is just fine as long as you have the 2.7G gas rather than the 2.5G diesel which has 102Hp only & prone to Stalling . I have chances I'd get the Montero Sports 2.5 4X2 AT
  • maranello_5775 Dec 22 2009 @ 12:20pm
    I didn't agree to mr. Botchi that the Fortuner has a better headroom than the Montero Sport since everytime I ride in my aunt's Fortuner I have adjust against the normal way I sit on a different car since if a pothole was taken too fast I will bump my head to the ceiling which is never a problem inside a montero sport
  • jay301 Jan 04 2010 @ 07:10am
    ang hirap pumili fortuner vs montero
  • murphy_eye Jan 15 2010 @ 04:46pm
    I was planing to buy a fortuner but with all those negative feedbacks i think ill give montero a second look.
  • skapunkboy01 Jan 28 2010 @ 12:28pm
    If I were that guy, i will choose between Toyota Fortuner 2.7 G 4x2 (AT/Gas) and Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2.5 GLS 4x2 (AT). Same price range and almost the same displacement. Of course the best choice is the Fortuner here because at 2.7liter engine it has 160HP while my chosen variant of the Montero has 134HP. Fortuner really has the advantage in terms of power because Montero is 220Kg heavier. Fortuner looks better than Montero. Especially the blue Fortuner.
  • skapunkboy01 Jan 30 2010 @ 11:45pm
    Thanks for the support Joseph! Long live!
  • skapunkboy01 Feb 02 2010 @ 06:58am
    @Jhoweng, Sana ngfort 2.7 ka nlng. Hina ng makina ng 4x2 mont e. gas pa so wlng problema@glennt, if you're buying 4x4 then go for the mont, d4d engine of toyota have issues e.
  • skapunkboy01 Feb 02 2010 @ 07:35pm
    suv. nkktawa ka nmn. bobo ka siguro no? first hnd ako nghighschool sa mamahaling skwelahan pra mgng agent lng, pangalaw college student plng ako sa asia pacific college. hnd ako nanunuhuol, sinasabi ko lng kung ano mas maganda. binase ko sa performance, interior and exterior. Tska read my comment to glennt? didn't i persuade him to go for the fort? BOBO mo! mag-aral ka kasi! skwater ka kasi! boto mo nlng si erap or villar mga uto-uto! lack of education = narrow mindedness = like you suv. hahahaha! LOSER!
  • skapunkboy01 Feb 02 2010 @ 07:35pm
    go for the mont pla.
  • skapunkboy01 Feb 03 2010 @ 08:14am
    @Jhoweng, both cars he's choosing are both Japanese cars, how come you brought in Korean cars? @ SUV, poor poor SUV. first of all. do you know where my grammar went wrong? You can't even comment with whole English. second, You're the one who insulted agents. read your first comment to me. hahaha! LOSER!
  • skapunkboy01 Feb 06 2010 @ 03:18am
    actually 3.0 sucks. 2.7 rocks. much better than montero of any variant. i don't own a fortuner.
  • navigator2377 Feb 06 2010 @ 11:29am
    That is absolutely correct!! a 2.7 gas gussler doen't help your pocket much to your surprice.. a 9peso++ difference in a litter with diesel does makes a lot of sense right?... and confortability can only be judged when you are driving alone, loaded, and seated at the thrid row seat.. now you be the judge... go for the all new monterosport guys..!! :-) check our website monterosportclubphil.proboards.com/ cheers!!
  • botchifan Feb 09 2010 @ 01:08pm
    I'm getting a new SUV soon. The Fortuner has never been one my choices. I feel it's too old. For me the real battle would be between the Everest and the Montero Sport. Well, I already placed my order on a Monty 4x4 MT =)
  • skapunkboy01 Feb 13 2010 @ 09:05pm
    tigilian niyo na yn. ano ba madalas mong mkta sa kalsada? fort or mont? Yung ang panalo. Hahaha!
  • navigator2377 Feb 24 2010 @ 04:39am
    danCoc, don't be so confused bro... go and get your Monterosport 2.5L 4x2 A/T now and join our club :-) (MSCP) you'll not regret it bro.. If you still don't get what i mean.. please visit our site or go to Mitsubishi-motors phils site. :-) see you there!!
  • navigator2377 Feb 27 2010 @ 08:20pm
    @JMM, sir try this i hope it's okey with TG to post the MSCP site :) http://www.monterosportclubphil.proboards.com/ thanks!
  • navigator2377 Mar 06 2010 @ 05:30am
    @bacster: What "older" you say it was? just to let you know, Mitsu Montero is different from Mitsu Monterosport.. Therefore it's way way newer than the Fortuner.... Are you reading from 1999 magazine?? Wake up mate, you're in the 21st century na!! Okey, you just bought last January and you say "so far no issues"... that is just yet.. it will come soon :D don't forget to post it here mate when it comes... I hope your ride is not included in the recall.. peace :)
    @tata.. go to Ermita, you have your call there.. dami badingerzy doon katulad mo!! hehe peace ..
    have a safe driving pips!!
  • navigator2377 Mar 09 2010 @ 11:14am
    Ahh i think it's only aussie is not sane at all.. :)) Why don't you just lock youreself in the closet okey? hehe.. Man, this is open for opinions, that's why it is being asked to people.. Threads like this help people know the right to select.. And why you clicked on the comment and submit? That means you are also interested.. But don't get hurt man.. People need something to read to escape boredoms.. And yes, you are boring =) We are just bringing out the best of our rides that's all =)
  • borikyo Mar 12 2010 @ 08:56pm
    Guys,you should have told us first how do you drive your SUV's. Why not support the mass transportation? (yeah right! I don't have a car...but soon I will!)
  • navigator2377 Mar 13 2010 @ 04:42am
    @backster: The New Mitsubishi MonteroSport today is the second generation release, of course which I currently have :) appreciate the looks and power man... And mind you, 4d and 4m Mitsubishi engines are tested superb quite long ago.. (that's why you probably been saying it's old..tsk tsk) It seems you are too interested in getting a monterosport man, i can help you with that, admit it!.. but then, you can go back to your cave while waiting for the twilight and finally saying "oh, i'm in the 21st century!" Can somebody wake this guy up!! but you can try visitng our site for you convenient! :) cheers man. Well anyway, thanks for searching! for you not to get TOO lost man, try visiting our site and it will be my pleasure!!! just enjoy your ride, but you would much enjoy riding my ride! :D ... peace!! enjoy reading!!
  • ronzkie73 Mar 24 2010 @ 01:44pm
    For any info about fortuner pls visit http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/index.php
  • ivan_cars May 15 2010 @ 12:59am
    montero & fortuner parehas maganda and also sta.fe,captiva,crv & the new mazda cx-7.. pipiliin mo lang kung ano talaga gusto mo.. at kung saan ka maGEENJOY.. =)
  • mardeeiloveyou May 15 2010 @ 12:23pm
    Ford Everest is a very Bumpy ride especially when your seating at the back for me Montero is better aside from the higher Horsepower it gives and there is no worries for the engine too..
  • ivan_cars May 17 2010 @ 02:50pm
    hahaha..jmm&bokyo56 sorry.. my bad
  • southboy Jun 19 2010 @ 11:35pm
    @mitsucr*ps: may bago ah? ..recall sa monty nyo.. naalala ko lang, sino ba yung may pa TODAY TODAY pa sa comment nya?? LoL!
  • B00GIECAT Jun 21 2010 @ 11:44pm
    Mitsubishi - LEMON car. Di pa nga nawawala yung bad reputation nila sa pagka LEMON eto nanaman ulit! Once a Lemon is always a LEMON!
  • SUV Jun 22 2010 @ 05:35pm
    so quits na montero at fortuner parehong may recalls hehe :)
  • southboy Jun 26 2010 @ 04:41pm
    fortuner don't have recall. MONTY LANG YAN. pauso na naman ng issue.. tsktsk..
  • Kyoichi Sudo Jun 26 2010 @ 09:51pm
    @southboy anong "MONTY LANG YAN" w8 lng ha eh FORTUNER LNG YAN MAS SIKAT NA NGAYON ANG MONTERO SPRT! wla nang recall ang fortuner pero dati ang nilabas na recall ay sa D4-D problem at isang TOTAL RECALL ang sa Strada at Monty INSPECTION RECALL LNG! check lng ng mitsu ang Strada at Monty para maagapan ang TOTAL RECALL. at wlang nangyaring recall sa mitsu in year 2000. @Boogiecat hnd naging lemon ang Mitsu ok.
  • Ulritch Jun 28 2010 @ 01:11am
    @Kyoichi Sudo - as long as mas madami pro Toyota kaysa Mitsubishi di mo puwedeng sabihin mas sikat na Mitsubishi Montero, lalo na may reputation Mitsubishi na lemon. Sa kalsada masmadami padin Fortuner and to the fact that yung Montero ay several generations na at naagaw ng Fort yung pagka popularity ng 1st gen na fortuner ay very commendable sa Fort yan. Yung galant niyo di nga nag click dito yan, yung outlander na discontinued na yung adventure naman yung mga luma nalang natitira, Lancer kaunti din bumibili puros old model na yung nasa kalsada. Hi-Ace wala nadin... etc.
  • southboy Jun 28 2010 @ 09:21pm
    @kyoichi.. pano mo malalaman na kelangang magrecall ang isang sasakyan?? either may nangyaring masama/nagkaproblema na OR sa umpisa pa lang alam na nilang mahina na ang pagkakagawa, db?? pinagaan lang ng mitsu yung recall nila kaya nilagyan ng inspection..
  • Ulritch Jul 20 2010 @ 10:46pm
    Fort for me - Montero sa harap mukhang na discontinued na outlander likod naman parang fusion. La pang aircon sa 2nd row seats. Makitid pa, yung montero kasing laki lang ng Everest. Lastly Monty have to create a 3.2cc engine just to match the fort's 3.0 engine, in short lakas lumaklak ng fuel.
  • Ulritch Jul 24 2010 @ 12:38am
    @montero-problema yung bagong girlfriend mas pangit sa isa. Point out ko lang yung harap ng montero ay kamukha ng na DISCONTINUED na outlander yung likod naman hawig ng fusion. At the best is 3.2cc ng monty at 3.0cc ng fort ay pareho lang yung torque at HP! so ang makina ng monty di kasing ganda ng makina ng fort. Pangit na, Magastos pa na bagong girlfriend! maganda lang yung pangalan may SPORT. Kitid na pang 2nd row at 3rd row seats at la pang aircon sa 2nd row.
  • TwinTurbo Aug 13 2010 @ 04:52pm
    Fortuner na, Montero sikip sa likod dahil makitid, wala pang aircon sa 2nd row seats add to that 3.2 engine ng montero parehas lang ng HP at torque sa 3.0 ng fortuner, in short di efficient at di maganda pagka design ng makina ng monty. 3rd row seats in monty feels flimsy(manipis kasi) at side step is so narrow and tucked almost under the chassy that is hard to get in or off from a monty.
  • merc_shift Aug 20 2010 @ 09:55am
    how about toyota land cruiser or nissan patrol royale
  • merc_shift Aug 20 2010 @ 09:56am
    * vs
  • kelkelkel Sep 05 2010 @ 11:53pm
    I just bought a fortuner last last week. Swear guys fortuner is the best. Normal specs kinda bumpy but I assure you. Winning looks? I'll take the fortuner!
  • kelkelkel Sep 05 2010 @ 11:54pm
    How about comparing the Fortuner 3.0 with the Montero Sport 3.2? Also, I have asked the Casa if the Fortuner 3.0 will run on Bio Diesel and they don't know. Does anyone know? My wife and I are looking for between these 2 models. We want something that is reliable,etc.. And also, comfort is important and for it to be very roomy. Any suggestion on which would be the best? To me its a very close decision
  • kagbalete Sep 14 2010 @ 12:58am
    i once owned a mitsubishi montero and have had nothing but problems, no wonder nobody was buying them in the usa (they had to close shop in the usa)your biggest headache is drive train durability and reliability especially if you drive in places where the road conditions are questionable. with regards to the fortuner which i bought to replace the montero i have not had a single problem for the past two years despite the high mileage i have placed on it (50,000 km). and a lot of these on relatively rough provincial roads. the d4d has not given me any problems what so ever... this is in stark contrast to my brother who bought a montero sport and has had nothing but problems... for service i do not use the casa, just the neighborhood shell station.. as for toyota's problems in the usa, their problems stem from the fact that they decided to use american parts supplier ( same folks who supplies gm and ford) resulting in the reliability problems... it is said some of those parts have filtered to the phil and hence the problem....
  • navigator2377 Sep 25 2010 @ 11:02am
    @kagbalete-how reliable was your story about monterosport in usa and your so called "have had nothing but problems"? Both SUVs have their own problems. But taken into account, most of it have been solved. And that is the case. No perfect car has been built. There will always be problem(s) arising. But gets to be resolved. BTW, Fortuner and Monterosport had our share of joy during our first joint funrun entitled "rivals-united" it was a huge success! And we are expecting a page(s) here in TGP! Watch out for it guys! Meantime, let's just enjoy our rides! MSCP ROCK!.. :)
  • expatio Nov 21 2010 @ 10:01am
    TBH, I do not why these two vehicles can be put up for comparison against each other.

I had the pleasure of driving both of these vehicles in the same day last week. I also sat as a passenger behind the driver in both. The 2.5 4x2 A/T models were used in each case.

Even though looks are a personal choice; even the most conservative amongst us will have to admit the fortuner looks like a car from the previous decade.

Driving over smooth surfaces both were similar, but the underpowered Toyota felt more truck like. When taken on to less than perfect barangay roads, the Mitsubishi showed to even more superior in almost every way. The 102hp of the fortuner is inadequate for a two ton vehicle.

When I moved to the back seat of both, the gap in ride quality became even more evident.

I am sure if Botchi drove both vehicles in the same morning he would see how far behind the Toyota is.

My Conclusion: I have decided to wait until the 2011 Montero sport arrives in January.

The 3.2SE is being replaced with the VGT 2.5SE 4x4 Auto which will have more horsepower and torque than both existing Montero 3.2 and Fortuner 3.0. I am afraid that the 2.5 Fortuner has to be demoted to an 'also ran'
  • karutoyz Feb 16 2011 @ 01:32pm
    montero will launch its new upgraded unit this february 24. The automatic 4x2 and 4x4 will now have a VGT 2.5 engine. GPS with touchscreen LCD and DVD audio system. contact me at 09224300073 mitsubishi caloocan
  • myfortuner Mar 24 2011 @ 02:19pm
    guy's out there, ano ba ang mas reliable at magandang tignan for everyday use reg sa 3rd row seat ng fortuner is it naka fold or not? pahingi naman po ng mag personal opinion nyo, thanks...
  • qwertyuiop Jun 07 2011 @ 08:42pm
    Okay so i just went to Toyota Aurora and Mistubishi (Marcos Highway) few hours ago.. We're planning to buy a new SUV this June. But still, we can't decide if we're going to buy Fortuner or Montero Sport. I've seen them both (2011 model) and i want u to know guys, for me MONTERO SPORT is better. :) It's really cool inside, i mean the features!!!! i swear.. it has the LCD (GPS) it also allows you to watch DVD, for ipods/iphone, and everything.. AND IT IS TOUCH SCREEN!! :) Fortuner doesn't have like that, but i can't deny the fact that fortuner is SUPER GOOD LOOKING ON ITS EXTERIOR!! but poor qualities :( it's up to you, but for me.. BIG CHECK FOR MONTERO!!
    • duddle Jun 08 2011 @ 01:53pm
      May it be a car or SUV, mitsubishi cant beat toyota in most aspects, ask the japanese themselves to prove this..or yet observe japanese car owners which they prefer better. My Fort 2.7 gas 2009 doesnt give me any problem till now, impt.from indonesia that was. Just follow all maintenance procedures and it wont give u a headache. I chose gas over diesel for longer lasting use. Diesel is only good for a couple or so years. Engine and body wise , Toyota will be my choice. Those bling blings for interiors can be bought/ modified to suit your needs. Huurraaa!! Fortuner owners out there.
  • qwertyuiop Jun 07 2011 @ 08:43pm
    my aunt bought fortuner few years ago and she sell it after few months.. and now she just bought montero sport :)
  • duddle Jun 09 2011 @ 02:30pm
  • dhryfusc Nov 02 2011 @ 04:55pm
    very satisfied to my 2010 2.5 toyota fortuner. Grabe ang hatak kung nag iisa ka at atay ang aircon, sisiw lahat na suv. Napatakbo ko ng 200 ang speed (walang halong biro)
  • dhryfusc Nov 02 2011 @ 05:24pm
    Bakit kaya di na mabuksan ang web na monteroaccident.com. Balita nagmamakaawa na tanggalin ang web na ito? To be fair, sana di inalis para sports kumbaga. MonTORO na ba ang name ng montero.