What's the best hauler in the market?

Hi, Botchi!

I love your WCRC part in the magazine as well as your posts here in the Top Gear website. I was looking for an article about these kinds of cars. Unfortunately, I can't find one.

I was thinking of purchasing a vehicle for business. I currently have a Mitsubishi L300, which has been my car for about 10 years. Now, I am thinking of replacing it either with a brand-new Mitsubishi L300 or an Isuzu IPV or whatever you think is the perfect choice. I have been hearing negative comments about the Mitsubishi L300 so I decided to ask for your advice. I hope you can help me decide. I will be waiting for your post.

God bless!

Thank you very much!

Wilson

Hi, Wilson!

Thanks for your email.

I recently got to drive a Mitsubishi L300 FB and I have to say I didn't like it at all. My size works against me fitting in the L300 driver's seat and the column-mounted shifter is very tricky to master.

In your case I would highly recommend getting either a pickup truck if you haul or carry a lot of big bulky objects, or a multipurpose vehicle like the Toyota Innova if you need the versatility of an interior that can seat people and store cargo in a covered area. For pickups, since you're already a Mitsubishi fanatic (whether you care to admit it or not), I'd suggest the Mitsubishi Strada. It has the roomiest interior, particularly for rear occupants. The backseat is generally a tight area for pickups.

If you need a van, the one vehicle that has continued to surprise me is the Nissan Urvan Escapade. Despite being really old, the Escapade hauls serious a**. It can easily cruise at 115kph on the highway with eight adults inside plus bags and other cargo. Premium diesel fuel like Shell's V-Power and Petron's Turbo Diesel really wakes up the car and adds a decent amount of power into the mix.

The Hyundai Starex is the best van but is it’s priced expensively now. It's also on a league of its own. The Toyota Grandia is underpowered despite being refined and comfortable. Even in basic trim, it’s still expensive compared to the Nissan Urvan Escapade.

The Strada pickup, Toyota Innova MPV and the Nissan Urvan Escapade all represent vehicle owners who use their car for daily driving while it doubles as a business vehicle. Why drive an unrefined, archaic commercial vehicle when you can get a good vehicle with decent refinement and driving dynamics at a good price with hassle-free after-sales service, right?

Hope this helps you out Wilson. Take care, God bless and Good luck!

Best regards,

Consumer editor

Lost in a sea of cars and not quite sure which one to get? Click here to email your car query so Botchi can help you pick the right vehicle!

COMMENTS

• Adrian Feb 14 2011 @ 12:14pm
    toyota innova pa dn kc hanggang naun mbenta pa dn sya ei!
  • joelklim Feb 14 2011 @ 01:31pm
    isuzu ipv.. very tough.. I own one and it is 8 years old now and still no problem at all..
  • gvm0116 Feb 14 2011 @ 01:48pm
    @wilson - If what you need is a vehicle that is designed for practicality, easy to maintain, cheap, tough and durable and one that can load lots of stuff even by to some extent, sacrificing a bit of comfort, i'd suggest you get the Nissan Urvan or the Isuzu IPV. However, if money isn't much of a factor for you, then get the Starex without a moment of hesitation. Don't bother with the Grandia, because for that sort of money, you can have the Starex which is, in every way, much, much better.
  • BOOGIECAT Feb 14 2011 @ 02:06pm
    Nissan Urvan is the best!
  • engr_kristian Feb 14 2011 @ 03:44pm
    i totally agree with Botchi's recommendations. go for the Urvan since it's in the same category as the one it will replace & i'm pretty sure you picked that L300 for a reason & the same reason still applies this time. in any case, just like what Botchi said, you don't have to limit yourself to a "for business only" vehicle, you can get one that can serve your business needs yet can be used for personal needs. go for the Starex if you can afford it!!!
  • GTi Feb 14 2011 @ 04:56pm
    Yes, the Escapade is a very good choice if you also ferry people. But if you want a pure blooded hauler, I suggest you go all out and get the Isuzu NHR-PV. The turbocharged and intercooled 4JB1 should be a very durable workhorse that can serve you very well.
  • francis.buendia24 Feb 14 2011 @ 08:40pm
    urvan!
  • Feeter Silverster Feb 14 2011 @ 09:30pm
    Urvan is the number one in terms of carnapped vans nowadays, get one if you live on provincial places. If you can still keep your L300, stick with it.
  • gapgayang Feb 14 2011 @ 09:38pm
    IPV is very gud. highly recommended
  • Big_daddy Feb 15 2011 @ 12:35am
    10 years with an L300 and its still on your list...then why not go for it again...at least the the technology is proven.
  • Ads Feb 15 2011 @ 10:55am
    Get a truck whether 4 wheels or 18 wheels .
  • dominic Feb 15 2011 @ 11:49am
    parang di bagay pang business ung Starex, its more a family van than business, pero kung gusto why not, the choice is yours
  • mts Feb 15 2011 @ 12:34pm
    Sir: I think you should also state your L300's performance for the past 10 years. If you didn't encounter any major problem, I agree with Big_daddy. Otherwise, you may add the Isuzu Crosswind or the D-Max LX to your list.
  • dtkiko Feb 15 2011 @ 01:55pm
    Kung pang-harabas lang talaga, take any from Isuzu's lineup ---- whether yang pinakamurang variant ng Crosswind, or kung pickup, 3-litre Isuzu DMax LX, or yang Isuzu IPV. Our Crosswind XT is also 10 years old having travelled already more than 320,000 km now while one of our DMax's is a 2004 model, it too having covered 255,000 km now. Both are going strong and healthy. Other than these, all of our 10-wheeler haulers since 1997 are Isuzu trucks.... If you're looking for practicality, durability, long term reliability, downright simplicity, fuel efficiency and torquey and responsive engines (as opposed to very powerful or ultra-revver engines), you won't go wrong with Isuzu diesels. They are in for the long-haul and you're in for a long-and-satisfying relationship with these diesels GUARANTEED!
  • HKB Feb 15 2011 @ 09:08pm
    go for toyota hi ace matibay at maitpid sa fuel..
  • barry Feb 18 2011 @ 02:40pm
    @wilson: three cars are in my mind right now. the toyota hilux FX, isuzu IPV and the hyundai H-100. take your pick. but the question is...there are a lot of purposes. are you going to use the car for transporting goods or for people carrier (PUV's)?
  • barry Feb 18 2011 @ 02:45pm
    @wilson: pag L300 kasi, glow plug yung magiging problema mo eh. palit ka ng palit, gastos ka pa ng gastos. nakakalungkot isipin...
  • barry Feb 18 2011 @ 02:49pm
    @wilson: meron pang foton tornado.