Eight of the most fuel-efficient SUVs and pickup trucks in the Philippines

By Patrick Everett Tadeo

You now know 10 of the most fuel-efficient cars in the Philippines but we are well aware not everyone wants to drive small cars. We thought it's just the right time to come up with a list of at least eight of the most pocket-friendly sport-utility vehicles (SUV) and pickup trucks available in the Philippines--fuel consumption-wise.

Since both segments are replete with diesel and gasoline-powered variants, we divided the list. If we just went by the old kilometers-per-liter fuel consumption, diesel will always trump gasoline and not everyone's a fan of diesel.

Like in the previous article, we relied on a few sources to come up with the list. Aside from the Department of Energy's (DOE) fuel economy runs in 2008 and 2009, the list is also based on the personal observations of members of the Top Gear Philippines team during test drives and, of course, the figures quoted by the car manufacturers and distributors. Don't blame us, though, when it's the car manufacturers and distributors themselves that cite the DOE's fuel economy figures.

Since the vehicles were driven in varying conditions, it's hard to really determine which of these vehicles are truly fuel-efficient. And as much as we'd like to test drive each and every vehicle available in the Philippines to give you our own, unbiased findings, that's practically impossible for a number of reasons that, if we enumerated on each one here, would probably bore you to death.

So, without further ado, we give you eight of the most fuel-efficient SUVs and pickup trucks in the country. If you can round it up to ten, what one gasoline and diesel-powered SUV and pickup truck would you add to the list?

COMMENTS

• Rem Jun 03 2011 @ 06:19pm
    can't find the Isuzu Alterra and D-Max on the list. :(
  • sachiel Jun 03 2011 @ 06:48pm
    mas fuel efficient yun CX7 and Forester 2.0 sa Xtrail CVT?
  • arvinx Jun 03 2011 @ 06:49pm
    No new kia sportage? I'm aiming to get one real close, pls add it up.
  • arvinx Jun 03 2011 @ 06:55pm
    highway fuel efficiency test's yta to eh, kaso lang bat ung tucson at asx 9 at 9.5km/liter lng?
  • 997 GT2RS Jun 03 2011 @ 07:21pm
    Is the cx7 powered by 2.2 turbo diesel?nIt's hard to believe the 18 km/l claim.That's 5.5 liters per 100 km On a 2 ton car. 13.6 km/l more likely.
  • ChairmanPineapple Jun 03 2011 @ 08:27pm
    cx7 fuel efficient? totoo ba itong report ng DOE? or baka nagbayad ng sponsorship ang mga car comapnies sa kanila kaya sila naglabas ng ganitong statement? Saan ba nila tinetest itong mga kotse? sa daang matuwid na walang katapusan??
  • tidus1203 Jun 03 2011 @ 09:08pm
    Sounds dubious...
  • dominic Jun 03 2011 @ 10:23pm
    Where's the mighty Santa Fe?
  • rdjl_13 Jun 04 2011 @ 03:15am
    The Sorento is the number 1 on the list (diesel) but where's the Santa Fe? They both share the same engine and transmission (not sure). There's something fishy...... :)
    • barry Jun 07 2011 @ 02:34pm
      mas fuel-efficient pa sa akin ang santa fe at ang everest based on my experience. monty, i don't think so...
  • nestortinam Jun 04 2011 @ 06:45am
    Parang di totoo ang data, based sa experience ko CRV 6-7km, Subaru forester almost the same 6km.
  • rtociv Jun 04 2011 @ 08:01am
    hahaha cx-7 18km/L? baka naman pababa ng bagiuo habang naka neutral. Underpowered nga and reviews with this SUV tapos most fuel efficient?
  • Riskbreaker Jun 04 2011 @ 08:28am
    WTF?! Instead of this shady figures, we want TGP as tested FE.nnBtw, I get 5L/100Km @ 120kph and 3L/100Km @ 100kph (both highway driving) on my 2.2L ReVGT Santa Fe. My Average is 10Km/L. City is 11L/100Km.
  • ashek268 Jun 04 2011 @ 09:39am
    Once and for all TGP, do a test on these vehicles. Do a real-time, real-world scenario test. Let Dinzo, Drew and the beloved Botchi do these tests with Ferman as the "Referee". Remember, any government-test claims ARE NEVER TO BE BELEIVED. TOP GEAR PHILIPPINES, your reputation is at stake here!
  • Vernon B. Sarne
    Vernon B. Sarne Jun 04 2011 @ 10:31am
    @ashek268 - We regret to inform you that our beloved Drew has already passed away.
    • ashek268 Jun 04 2011 @ 12:01pm
      My condolences and apologies. However, do a separate test everytime DOE does this "fuel eco runs".
  • DnC Jun 04 2011 @ 10:38am
    That CX7 figure can't possibly be real. I remember an out of town trip in one TGP issue, Subic yata nagpunta si Dinzo and Jaykee amongst others, where they drove a pristine white CX7 and it garnered a single digit fuel economy number. The DOE "economy" run is highly deceptive, probably had that hulking suv on a steady crawl which I might say is plausible in everyday traffic but anyone who does it better be prepared for blaring horns and irked stares from fellow motorists.
    • maranello_5775 Jun 05 2011 @ 12:28am
      sir that's the cx9 not cx7n
      • DnC Jun 05 2011 @ 05:46am
        Oh yeah, my bad, thanks for the correction my man. That DOE figure is still highly suspect though.
        • maranello_5775 Jun 05 2011 @ 09:08pm
          based on my experience it is possible to achieve 18km/li for the cx7 as long as it is a highway drive
          • DnC Jun 05 2011 @ 11:29pm
            Unfortunately, a leisurely cruise on a free flowing highway isn't what an everyday driver encounters. 18km/l figure should have an asterisk stating how that number was achieved because it is very misleading otherwise. I'm sure mazda PR people are salivating at the thought of highlighting that tremendous fuel economy rating as it is and frankly, the Filipino consumer need not be bamboozled like that. An economy rating in mixed driving conditions would be far more judicious and realistic. Just my two cents.
  • SilverDragon Jun 04 2011 @ 10:40am
    I am just glad the Navara made it up to the list since it is one of my favorites. In addition to the list, I think the X-trail would be one since it has CVT and how about the D-Max?
    Last modified Jun 04 2011 @ 10:41am
  • vonschnipp Jun 04 2011 @ 10:49am
    European test data for the same vehicles are always totally different. Top Gear tests done by Botchi and Dinzo systematically show very poor fuel mileage. Heavy foot (to say nothing of overweight drivers) or not applying fuel saving conscious driving technique?
  • anonemus Jun 04 2011 @ 11:00am
    a misleading list, to say the least. to be objective and reliable, dapat may consistency sa source and methods. This article is almost unbelievable as its apparently subjective
  • arihalos Jun 04 2011 @ 07:01pm
    The DOE tests, I think, were done at daybreak or in the evening in a run from the DOE compound in Taguig to Subic. So the figures are basically for highway driving. The nice thing, though, is that it is the cars practically go through the same conditions. The reason why some cars aren't on their list is because some car distributors choose to field only a few select models while some don't participate at all.
  • southboy Jun 04 2011 @ 07:18pm
    booo!! walang dmax? ang laki ng billboard nyan sa slex ah? at may crv? walang fort?
  • Romeo Alfa Jun 04 2011 @ 08:25pm
    again, Topgear has done it again. Why do you have to release such an article when, as shown in the comments, you can hardly come up with a true and actual data. i now seriously doubt your integrity on this issue. remember, you are almost an institution in the car industry. do not be swayed. stand by what you believe is true. a lot of car buyers rely on in this magazine.
  • cazapata Jun 04 2011 @ 10:23pm
    I really don't believe the figures the article has shown. How come the CX7, Forester and the CRV made it to the list? And I really can't believe why TGP published this article. It has put TGP's reputation as a trustworthy connoisseur in the field of Automotives. I have been an avid follower of TGP, and I am hoping that It will do something to pacify everybody doubting the integrity of this article.
  • carlopabale Jun 04 2011 @ 10:37pm
    Mitsubishi montero sport gls v and mazda cx 7 same fuel-efficient
  • GTi Jun 04 2011 @ 11:20pm
    Lahat naniniwala ko except the CX7 and the Forester 2.0X. I've heard from Forester owners that the 2.0X is actually thirstier than the 2.5XT Turbo. And the CX7 uses a 2.5L gasoline engine. Now how can this sort of engine eke out 18km/L of even pure highway mileage? This number is challenging even for a 2.5L gasoline electric hybrid!
  • tyler durden Jun 04 2011 @ 11:31pm
    Come on! Stop writing these kinds of articles. Test the cars yourselves in REAL manila everyday traffic AND then compare your figures with DOE's figures. Then finally write your article. Be more like Clarkson.
  • hhhhmmmm... Jun 05 2011 @ 10:12pm
    I agree that this really is misleading. For the crv, 7 to 8 km/l sa city driving, 12 to 14 km/l sa expressway or provincial road ang nakukuha namin. I am light footed. Fuel consumption also depends on how we drive. Do not rely much on agency ratings dahil for example sa US, elantra has that 40 mpg rating by EPA pero owners claim that they get only an average of 30 mpg. IMHO. ;)
  • Drift Jun 06 2011 @ 09:54am
    This is unbelievable. Are you sure Santa Fe not on the list?!?!?!
  • wart_les Jun 06 2011 @ 11:49am
    Take on the CURB weight guys of the vehicle...The lighter it is, the more FUEL efficient...Obviously, the data's supplied in the foregoing article are not to be believed...For a normal vehicle, its engine power is directly proportional to its design loading...The loading includes its aerodynamics, uphill, still load etc.,,ALL these being considered, then next to it is the achieved acceleration and cruising speed needs to be attained?
  • BJ Jun 06 2011 @ 12:28pm
    I can't believe this. Are these figures from Sales Agents? Sta Fe is not even on the list.
  • 17Sphynx17 Jun 06 2011 @ 02:52pm
    There are some questionable posts on the list, the CX-7 and Forester to name a few. nnThe others are more or less on par with real figures.nnTitle is misleading though as it label them as the most fuel efficient yet you can clearly see that there are not even any Isuzu vehicles on the list.nnI do wonder however why the Tucson 2.0 CDRi only got 9.5 as opposed to the montero with 13.5 on a highway setting. I would believe the Tucson should get roughly a similar figure with the monty (granted though that 13.5 is not really considered very fuel efficient if you compare it with those averaging 15 km/l or higher).nnThe way I see it, the title should be 8 TG Staff preferred "efficient" SUVs in the Philippines.
  • RS500 Jun 06 2011 @ 05:04pm
    I have driven the Forester and the maximum fuel consumption I got is 11 km/l same with the CR-V. I'm not so sure how did they achieved 16 km/l. Maybe it is possible without the use of the aircon.
  • barry Jun 07 2011 @ 02:39pm
    we can't believe that santa fe was not on the list! that's unfair...
  • mindkinetic Jun 07 2011 @ 07:44pm
    the most underrated suv is not on the list. mind me but the chevrolet captiva 4x2 crdi can run 11km on a liter. worth to mention as well is that its pulling ability = 320 nm of torque .
  • ceejaypee777 Jun 08 2011 @ 04:59am
    Over-all should still be the All New Tucson CRDi on top of the list but here, I wonder what driving style they had to come up with this report. Now, irregardless of how they did it, the title seemed not appropriate or just a marketing strat? how come CRV, known for its poor FE is into the list? Subaru????
  • lejox Jun 08 2011 @ 06:11am
    as a former scooby and honda owner, hindi ako makapaniwala sa article na ito kasi those cars are gas guzzlers. my current ride, the hyundai tucson e-vgt premium does at least 15 km/l on highway driving, 12 km/l city driving.
  • warak1422 Jun 08 2011 @ 10:24pm
    CRV???????????? 5.5-7Km/L lng yannnSmart for two na lng guaranteed 22 Km/Lnnhehe
  • jabroni Jun 09 2011 @ 01:54am
    I get 6.5-7.5 Km/L City Driving sa CX7 ko @ an average speed of 15Km/h... kapag highway driving na 10-15Km/L lang talaga yan @ 90kph average speed... I don't believe the 18.17Km/L sa DOE test kung normal driving ang ginawa jan and maintaining 80kph speed as they claim they did... unless papitik pitik lang yung nagdrive sa DOE test eh kaya nga yun 18.17Km/L pero sigurado ako 40-50kph lang average speed nun sa CX7.
    Last modified Jun 09 2011 @ 01:58am
  • jabroni Jun 09 2011 @ 02:02am
    Nakita ko na yung DOE figures na yan when I bought my CX7 pero I did not believe it and I was ready then to accept na single digit lang talaga yan. But I still believe fuel efficient ang CX7 with its 2.5 liter engine giving me a 6.5 to 7.5 during city driving.
  • Navman101 Jun 10 2011 @ 01:47am
    I remember an article way back in one of the TGP issues wherein the team brought a new CX7 (or CX9) with pictures in Subic and Petron Lakeshore. It was noted that the consumption was at around 5.59km/L. How could it possibly be that the CX7 be on top with those stats? I highly doubt it.
  • johnznavara Jun 13 2011 @ 06:33am
    This is unbelievable. Isuzu is not on the list but the gas sucker CRV make it.
  • hhhhmmmm... Jun 13 2011 @ 04:40pm
    CRVs are not that fuel-efficient due to their low torque at low rpm, and this problem is common to almost all honda models.nni share to you guys this photo which shows that your cr-v is capable of attaining more than 10km/L of fuel consumption.nnhttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/jmg_32188/DSC00293.jpg
  • freerideboys Sep 20 2011 @ 12:20am
    bket wlang toyota fotuner?

• patrick_j May 01 2012 @ 05:01pm
    where's the innova?
  • rclopez Sep 18 2012 @ 05:45pm
    wtf ? my isuzu buddies are not on the list ? maybe you should investigate well on this matter TGP . this is a complete crap . grrrrrr
  • Normanx Feb 20 2013 @ 02:18pm
    TGP is still biased against Korean cars.