The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority has come up with its accomplishment report for the first few months of 2012. It's quite a lengthy read at 42 pages, so we decided to break down the agency's most notable achievements:
1. Under MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino's leadership, the agency enjoyed its highest performance approval rating at 64.1 percent, according to a Pulse Asia survey done in March 2012, topping the previous high of 60 percent under the agency's former chairman, Bayani Fernando, in†March 2005.
2. Six pedestrian footbridges ranging from 18.4m to 82.2m in length were constructed out of the planned 73 for the year.
3. The MMDA completed the realignment of the median island on Commonwealth Avenue from Litex to DoŮa Carmen to ensure the continuous flow of traffic in anticipation of the construction of MRT Line 7.
4. To enhance road safety, the MMDA is currently installing wall tiles to serve as light reflectors especially during nighttime on the perimeter wall of seven major underpasses in Metro Manila. These are Lagusnilad in Manila, the Quezon Boulevard underpass in Quezon City, the Aurora Boulevard underpass in Quezon City, the†Ayala Avenue underpass†in Makati City, and the Shaw Boulavard underpass in Mandaluyong City.
5. To help the agency monitor areas in Metro Manila that are beyond the range of its 55 CCTVs, the MMDA now has two Mobile Metrobases. These converted vans serve as mobile command and communications centers with four CCTV monitors and a high-resolution camera on the roof that can record and relay video footage†to the agency's main command center.
6. The MMDA completed the Quirino Highway-Mindanao Avenue roundabout in Quezon City, and is currently considering 10 possible sites that could use roundabouts to improve traffic flow.
7. With the adoption of the single ticketing system for the 17 local government units in Metro Manila last March, a total of 37,296 apprehensions were made.
8. With the decrease in the number of motorcycle-related accidents on Commonwealth Avenue and President Diosdado Macapagal Avenue following the implementation of the motorcycle lanes in November 2011, the MMDA established a similar lane on EDSA in February. No fatal accidents have been reported after the implementation of the motorcycle lanes on the three thoroughfares.
9. From January to May, the MMDA apprehended 651 colorum and 439 out-of-line vehicles. In addition, it also caught 471 vehicles operating without a franchise, while 309 vehicles were apprehended for sporting unauthorized improvised license plates.
10. With the implementation of vehicles tags for public-utility buses and AUVs in†August 2011 and December 2011, respectively, the agency apprehended 139 violators between January and March 2012.
11. The MMDA installed three LED advisory boards along EDSA: southbound at the corner of Main Avenue in Quezon City; northbound near the Heritage Hotel in Pasay City; and southbound across SM Megamall.
12. From January to April 2012, the MMDA propagated and planted 72,851 types of ornamental and flowering plants along EDSA as part of its metro-wide greening program.
13. To lessen air pollution on EDSA, the MMDA is working with Boysen for its "Everyone Deserves Safe Air" project. Utilizing Boysen's KNOxOUT paint, which cleans toxins through its active ingredients that transform harmful substances like nitrogen oxide and carbon monoxide into harmless residues easily washed away by water, artist Tapio Snellman began his wall art mural on the Cubao-Aurora Boulevard underpass in January.
14. Through its anti-smoke-belching unit, the MMDA flagged down and tested 1,027 vehicles, of which 296 passed and 731 failed the standard emission test.
15. The MMDA's roadside clearing operations dispatched tow trucks to 976 stalled vehicles within Metro Manila, of which 613 were brought to an emergency bay, while nine were brought to the MMDA impounding area near ULTRA.
What do you think of the MMDA's accomplishments so far this year? Are these commendable or questionable?