Since 2010, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority has been designating what the agency calls Christmas Lanes--or alternate routes that motorists can use to help decongest the expected traffic that comes with the season.
For this year, the MMDA has revealed the 17 lanes it has assigned as this holiday season's Christmas Lanes, which will guide motorists to and from the metro's major shopping areas and Yuletide destinations.
1. From SM North EDSA to Makati (14.8km): From EDSA going south, turn right on West Avenue, right on Quezon Avenue, U-turn near Magbanua, right on Timog, right on Tomas Morato, right on E. Rodriguez, left on Gilmore, right on N. Domingo, left on Pinaglabanan, right on P. Guevarra, left on L. Mencias, right on Shaw Boulevard, left on Acacia Lane, left on Fabella Road, right on F. Martinez to Maysilo, around the Mandaluyong City Hall/Maysilo to get to San Francisco, left to Coronado and then up to the Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge to get to Makati Avenue.
2. From SM North EDSA to Maria Clara or Dapitan (6.5km): Turn right on West Avenue, right on Del Monte Avenue, left on Santo Domingo or Biak na Bato, right on Amoranto, left on Banawe or D. Tuazon, and right on Maria Clara or Dapitan.
3. From NLEX to C-5 (20km): Exit at Mindanao Avenue Access Ramp, right on Mindanao Avenue, left on Congressional, right on Luzon Avenue, take the bridge crossing Commonwealth Avenue, head on straight to Katipunan Avenue and on to C-5.
4. From N. Domingo to Estrella (6.32km): Take N. Domingo and turn left to Blumentritt-Kalentong, left on Manalo Street, right on Mariano, right on Luna Mensias, right on Shaw Boulevard, left on Neuve de Febrero/Martinez, around the Mandaluyong City Hall/Maysilo to get to Sergeant Bumatay and then up the Barangka Drive-Rockwell Bridge.
5. From E. Rodriguez Avenue to Osmeña Highway (5.77km): From E. Rodriguez, left on Matimyas, go around Plaza Noli and stay on Matimyas, left on Fajardo, left on Vicente Cruz, right on Lardizabal, left on Dela Fuente, right on Ramon Magsaysay Boulevard, left to Nagtahan Bridge going to Quirino, and then left on South Super Highway.
6. From NLEX to Mayon Avenue (6.14km): Turn right at Balintawak Cloverleaf to EDSA going to Monumento, left on A. de Jesus Street (8th Street), left on C-3, right on Bonifacio, take Mayon Avenue to Welcome Rotunda.
7. From EDSA to NLEX (25.54km): Turn left to Pasay Road then turn right to Makati Avenue, straight to Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge, right on Francisco, around Maysilo to F. Martinez Avenue, straight to Gomezville, straight to Hoover to Wilson, left on Ortigas Avenue/Granada, right on Aurora Boulevard, left on Hemady, right on E. Rodriguez, left on Tomas Morato, left on Timog Avenue, right on Quezon Avenue, left on Congressional Avenue and then right on Mindanao Avenue.
8. From EDSA (southbound) to Greenhills I (2.94km): Turn right on Banahaw Street, right on Makiling, left on Benitez then straight to Saint Joseph, left on Ortigas Avenue to Greenhills Shopping Center.
9. From EDSA (southbound) to Greenhills II (1.33km): Turn right on Annapolis, right on Eisenhower then left at Club Filipino to Ortigas Avenue to Greenhills Shopping Center.
10. From EDSA (southbound) to Greenhills III (1.24km): Turn right on Connecticut to Ortigas Avenue to Greenhills Shopping Center.
11. From EDSA to Baclaran (3.1km): Take EDSA-Tramo flyover, then right on Andrews Avenue straight to Airport Road, right on Roxas Boulevard, take Service Road to Redemptorist.
12. From Roxas Boulevard to Baclaran (2.62km): Along Roxas Boulevard, take a U-turn on Airport Road and then take the Service Road to Redemptorist.
13. From Taft Avenue to Carriedo (1.73km): From Taft Avenue, take Ayala Boulevard, left on Carlos Palangca (Echague) to Carriedo Street.
14. From Padre Burgos to Carriedo (.94km): From Padre Burgos, take Jones Bridge, right on Muelle del Blanco National to Plaza Lacson to Carriedo.
15. From Dapitan Market to Divisoria (3.3km): Take A.H. Lacson, turn left on Tayuman Street, then left on Dagupan Street to Divisoria.
16. From Roxas Boulevard to Divisoria (3.4km): Right on Claro M. Recto, then straight to Divisoria.
17. From R-10 to Divisoria (1.7km): Left on Moriones Street, then right on Dagupan Street to Divisoria.
For a graphic view of the Christmas Lanes (like the one below), click here.
Photo from www.gov.ph