Road-rage victim's dad resorts to social media to look for gunman

By Tracy Carpena

Road rage victim's dad uses social media to look for gunman

A father seeking justice for his nine-year-old daughter, a victim of a gun wound from road rage, has turned to social media to look for the gunman. The Facebook post, which was made public by a friend of the father, includes a narration of the incident and snapshots of the gunman's vehicle from a CCTV camera. The vehicle is a white Hyundai Santa Fe, shown above.

According to the social media post, the road-rage incident happened at around 4:00am on December 6, 2013. The victim, a nine-year-old girl, and her sister were being chauffeured by their father and accompanied by their mother to school for a field trip.

"I was traveling along a narrow road on M.H. Del Pilar St., Brgy. Bungad, Quezon City, when I came across this white Hyundai SUV with its very bright headlight directly blinding my sight," the post narrated. "So, when the driver of the said SUV and I met side by side, I brought my window down and he did so, too."

The victim's father then asked the Hyundai Santa Fe driver to dim his lights. Little did he know that the simple request would endanger his entire family. As he slightly drove forward while looking in his side-view mirror to get the other motorist's plate number, three gunshots were fired. One bullet hit his younger daughter, damaging her kidney and liver.

The white SUV, driven by a dangerous motorist carrying a gun, was on its way to exit to Roosevelt Avenue in Barangay San Antonio. "I am now asking everyone to please help us find this guy and let justice rule," the post pleaded. Anyone with information about the driver and the vehicle is welcome to contact (0928) 113-1893.

Help your fellow motorist seek justice and make the roads safer by reporting irresponsible gun owners. You wouldn't want to share the road with a gunman with a bad temper.

Photos from Retzel Orquiza's Facebook page

Road rage victim's dad uses social media to look for gunman

Road rage victim's dad uses social media to look for gunman

COMMENTS

• jojo204200 Dec 10 2013 @ 10:39am
    Drivers are not that polite anymore.
    If you happen to be blinded with high beam especially the fake and KSP "kulang sa pansin" and "Sabog" HID lights, just warn them by a few millisecond of high beam, if they won't respond, just forget it and on to your way.
    Talking to the other driver will just start a quarrel or even a provocation. Get off with your ego and forget that driver, you will be only disturbed that causes high blood pressure on your part, in his part, he don't care about you, in short, don't care about him, he will encounter a much brighter lights than his later.
    • JoHunter Dec 10 2013 @ 11:00am
      Agree. Ganito lang din ginagawa ko in similar situations.
    • Chaub Dec 10 2013 @ 11:39pm
      I wonder why make a thumbs down on jojo204200 comment. It is a very rational and responsible suggestion... People don't see that the motoring culture in our country specially in Manila and the rest of Luzon is very alarming. From rude PUV drivers and irresponsible private motorist. Traffic is getting worse each passing day but we all can help ease the situation by becoming more courteous and considerate to others and of course, just follow traffic rules and regulations even if we don't see enforcers implementing it most of the time... Discipline is key
    • BMagee Dec 11 2013 @ 07:58am
      i do the same, usually the other driver turns off the hi-beams afterwards, but there are really some rude ones and it's not worth the stress
    • neo888 Dec 14 2013 @ 05:42am
      jojo204200 I agree, don't waste your time forget the rude driver go on with your life. There will be always someone who will ruin your day, telling him off would not lessen the @holes out there. But there's no justification what the gunman did, my prayers to the victims.

• codemonkey23 Dec 10 2013 @ 10:57am
    matapang lang yung santa fe na yun kasi may baril siya
  • JoHunter Dec 10 2013 @ 10:59am
    I read this last night just before going to bed. And while I surely would sympathize with the family if the accounts are true, there are some questions that I think need answering first:

1. The write-up said they heard 3 gun shots, but nowhere in the write up did it say it came from the Sta Fe
    2. What car were the victims riding? Can they produce a pic of the parts of the car with the bullet holes?
    3. What hospital was the girl taken for emergency treatment?
    4. The write-up also claimed the doctor saying the gun shot went through and through - which probably means the bullet went in and out of the girl's body, on the way damaging a kidney and the liver. My immediate thoughts were
    (a) The girl was extremely lucky to be alive. The exit wound alone (which is usually many time bigger than the entry wound) would have been enough to kill her on the spot. Never mind the internal organs that were hit
    (b) Imagining the trajectory of the bullet in that kind of situation, it should have ended up going through other parts of the car as well, like the front passenger seat, below the B pillar, or even the right side dashboard depending on how far the two cars have driven apart when the shots were fired - this is assuming the shots came from the Sta Fe.
    5. One of the cameras (Miller3) would have easily caught the Sta Fe's plate number. Why wasn't it shown here?

Sorry. My point is one well-written story on the internet accompanied by a few CCTV pics is I believe not enough to lend credibility to this so-called incident, similar to the case of the San Miguel guy published here in TG.com.Ph a while back. All kinds of emotions and condemnations already erupted in the original FB page, but for me, more facts are needed to establish if this incident did happen exactly as the write-up said it did. Of course there's a chance this is true, but without solid facts, there's also an equal chance that this is just one of the thousand tasteless hoaxes flying around the internet. Let's get some facts straight first before making any conclusions.
    • Vernon B. Sarne
      Vernon B. Sarne Dec 10 2013 @ 11:33am
      Our managing editor, Tracy Carpena, knows the victim's family. Is that good enough?
      • JoHunter Dec 10 2013 @ 11:41am
        Good enough.
        • khomaigz Dec 10 2013 @ 08:18pm
          JoHunter, stand your ground. Don't let him make you look st*p*d.

Vernon, I am an avid fan of yours, but I don't like the way you answer this time.
          • JoHunter Dec 10 2013 @ 08:53pm
            I got the answer I want. No need to play alpha male here.
          • Vernon B. Sarne
            Vernon B. Sarne Dec 11 2013 @ 11:38am
            khomaigz, no need to incite. I pretty much know JoHunter. He's a regular here. Wasn't disrespecting him. That's just the way I reply.
      • Crowns Dec 10 2013 @ 12:12pm
        "Good enough" for credibility. But your response is not.
        Those were valid questions by JoHunter.
      • 80009824 Dec 10 2013 @ 03:02pm
        ito saktong sakto sa usapang rage. napaka yabang sumagot.
      • barre05 Dec 10 2013 @ 06:41pm
        I don't comment here that often, unless I really feel strongly about something. And this really caught my attention.

Vernon, you could've phrased your reply in a less confronting manner, particularly because you're one of the editors of this magazine. This entails a responisbility to maintain civility at all times.

Instead, your reply comes across as "maangas" and is a classic example of using your position of power to, for the lack of a better word, bully someone who was merely asking logical inquisitive questions.

The questions were very much valid, and in fact, commendable, for the simple reason that here was a reader who was not merely a lemming and someone who does not take in everything the internet (or Topgear.ph) churns out, hook line and sinker.

With that kind of attitude, I wouldn't be surprised if you took such power-tripping and confrontative manners with you when you drive in our streets, being associated with one, the media, and two, a car magazine. I sincerely hope that i am wrong and that this was simply a one-off gaffe for you and not the way you think or act on a daily basis.

Please exercise more restraint next time. Being nice and polite and civil is free and won't cost you anything. Being rude and confrontative, meanwhile, just leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and soils the good name of your magazine/website.

Thanks.
        • Vernon B. Sarne
          Vernon B. Sarne Dec 11 2013 @ 11:39am
          Points well-taken. But don't worry. I don't power-trip. I actually laugh at people who do.
        • fortis Dec 12 2013 @ 10:55pm
          barre05 I don't think Vernon's comment is maangas. Try watching TopGear UK or read Jeremy Clarkson's articles. You'll be shock at how offensive and vulgar Mr. Clarkson is with his write-ups, stories and comments.

Now I understand why TopGear UK has not written any articles for the Philippines or even tried to do a cheap-car challenge or a road trip here in our country. It's either the 3 hosts (Clarkson/Hammond/May) will be bashed, judged in social media sites or worst be shot dead.
      • KrisWayne Dec 10 2013 @ 10:37pm
        I USED to like YOUR columns.
      • atmar Dec 10 2013 @ 10:56pm
        good enough for me too......and not maangas or mayabang imo :)
      • Feeter Silverster Dec 10 2013 @ 11:41pm
        bakit thumbs down dito???
      • ashek268 Dec 11 2013 @ 06:26am
        Sarne - Boy shows his true self.
      • ashek268 Dec 11 2013 @ 06:28am
        Your a prick sarne boy.
    • Tracy Carpena
      Tracy Carpena Dec 10 2013 @ 12:15pm
      Hi, JoHunter. Glad to know that we have critical-minded readers. :) We have gotten in touch with the family to gather information, but we did not publish everything for security purposes. If you have noticed, the headline simply said that a dad used social media to find a gunman. The article is not intended to reveal the family's identity nor reveal the gory details. The photos were not even sourced from the Facebook account of the victim's dad; they're from the family's friend.

So on to your questions:
      1. We didn't have to point out that the bullets came from the Santa Fe. But to be clear: The bullets came from behind: Two bullets hit the bumper, one of which hit the spare tire. Another bullet hit the trunk's keyslot. This is the same bullet that hit the victim.
      2. I don't want to reveal the identity of the family involved that's why I did not indicate this in the article. But to be clear: They were riding a sedan. It was tinted.
      3. If I were just shot, the last thing I want the public to know is where I am confined and where someone can shoot me again. So no way that I'm going to tell you this. Sorry. :)
      4. Yes, the bullet went through and through, and scraped her thigh and knee. And yes, she's lucky to be alive. But imagine the trauma that she'll live with.
      5. The photos shown here are the photos that are spreading via social media. Which was the point of the article: a victim's dad asking for help through social media. :) The family has the video footage, but it was a low-res video, making it difficult for the naked eye to read the vehicle's conduction sticker.

I hope I answered your questions. And thank you for your feedback. And since we have just discussed this online, I hope you can offer a prayer for the victim and her family. :) Thank you and take care on the road. :)
      • Crowns Dec 10 2013 @ 12:23pm
        Good to know that you are polite and professional, Tracy. Can't say the same for others. :D

I don't know JoHunter, but I had similar questions. Which is why I was also looking for answers in this hoax-flooded digital world.
      • JoHunter Dec 10 2013 @ 01:53pm
        Crowns - It's cool. At this point credibility is good enough for me to dismiss this as a hoax. I didn't bother asking for the family's identity for the same reason TG didn't reveal info like the admitting hospital. And it's a good decision since if the assailant was audacious and malevolent enough to do what he did, who knows what else he could do.

Anyway, Ms. Tracy and Chief, thanks for the reply. Yep, I'll be praying for the family (the girl really was lucky she survived that, and I'm glad she did, tho very sorry she had to undergo that sucky experience). And I might be able to help too since I live near the area where it happened. I'll keep an eye out.
        • JoHunter Dec 10 2013 @ 07:40pm
          I phrased this wrong. I meant "Credibility is enough for me to conclude that this isn't a hoax."
        • Tracy Carpena
          Tracy Carpena Dec 10 2013 @ 10:51pm
          Thank you, JoHunter. Take care, everyone!
          Guys, let's practice keeping our cool on and off the road, online and offline, shall we? :)
          • stelvio Dec 11 2013 @ 11:15am
            Perhaps someone here should come up with "10 tell tale signs you're an *ss behind the keyboard? ;)
            • GotToRead Dec 11 2013 @ 11:58am
              That's for social/gadget/internet warriors site. Hahaha
  • AJ Dec 10 2013 @ 12:00pm
    Topgear please update us regarding this. I hope the suspect gets caught. It really makes me curious if justice is still served here...

There are still many kind drivers in manila but st*p*d and arrogant are increasing over the years. Sayang lang parang di na bubuti road ethics ng mga pilipino...we're going to catch up with worse countries
  • wazdog Dec 10 2013 @ 12:02pm
    The Santa Fe's roof has been painted black for the panoramic sunroof effect. Notice the longitudinal lines on the first pic. It has the bumps like here http://www.gaddidekho.com/hyundai-santa-fe-eu-version-top-view/. Panoramic sun roofs are supposed to be smooth like this:http://www.taggarts.co.uk/upload/thumbcache/0x0/images/media-library/34/5073ea7d197db.png. It may not be the only wannabe sunroof, but I hope it helps narrow it down somewhat.
    • wazdog Dec 10 2013 @ 12:11pm
      Victim should call up every car paint shop starting in QC.
      • JoHunter Dec 10 2013 @ 02:03pm
        Or maybe the roof of the Sta Fe is black means it's the 4x4 variant. A Hyundai salesman once told me that.
        • wazdog Dec 10 2013 @ 02:18pm
          Look closely at the roof of the santa fe in the first pic. It has bumps just like in my first link. It should be flat like glass as in my second link. The guy definitely painted his roof black for the panoramic sunroof effect. I think this narrows it down quite a lot.
        • wazdog Dec 10 2013 @ 02:20pm
          Additionally, the paint around the roof antenna should be white as in my second link.
    • Tracy Carpena
      Tracy Carpena Dec 10 2013 @ 11:13pm
      Good eye, wazdog!
  • boss joey Dec 10 2013 @ 12:02pm
    lesson to everyone. madaming walang paki alam na driver kahit anong senyas mo na ibaba ang ilaw nila. kung di ka talaga makapagdrive ng maayos dahil nasisilaw ka pwede kang mag menor o tumigil sandali at hayaan na lumagpas ang kasalubong na sasakyan but never never na makipagkomprontasyon sa ibang driver. masasayang lang ang oras,worst, ang buhay natin o ng kasama natin.
  • laurence0609 Dec 10 2013 @ 02:16pm
    Basing from the picture, it looks to me like it's a 4x4 TOTL or KDM unit. Unless they used a sticker in there to make it look like it's a panoramic roof. One other thing that can set this car apart from the other is the wheels. It looks like it's an aftermarket wheel, like a "Rays".
  • GTi Dec 10 2013 @ 08:29pm
    Oh dear... May mga ganon talaga. I wonder if the Santa Fe driver had more than a few drinks before this. The fault of the father however, was that he shouldn't have confronted the driver, especially with his family present. As mentioned, it is best to turn on your high beams and let the matter pass. If the offending driver was a sensible driver merely having poor visibility, he would lower his lights until you pass. If he doesn't , that would be the sort you wouldn't want to mess with for your own good.
  • zephyro90 Dec 10 2013 @ 11:13pm
    we have a 2013 santa fe white with panoramic glass. but we dont allow our drivers to bring guns or drive late or go to the said location. just saying...
  • Feeter Silverster Dec 10 2013 @ 11:48pm
    maybe the panoramic roof effect there is a glossy black sticker from sticker/decal installers, but it's impossible to trace from there, LTO should also help they held the registration of every vehicle
  • markdejesus76 Dec 11 2013 @ 04:34pm
    WTF? Epic lang nung mga comments. haha. instead na tungkol sa article, tungkol sa manner ng pagsagot yung naging usapan. At first, mejo duda din ako sa post, pero dahil sa kilala naman pala nung editor yung pinang-galingan ng article, tiwala na ko sa article. Unang una, dapat muna natin isipin na professional na mga tao yung mga nag-eedit nito, although minsan nagkakamali din sila, minimal lang yun. Hindi naman sila magpopost ng ikasisira ng credibility nila at nung publishing company.
  • r-type Dec 11 2013 @ 08:44pm
    Crazy motorist. I hope this dude gets caught.
  • fortis Dec 12 2013 @ 11:32pm
    These days.. it seems it really is that easy to kill a human being. Anyway I would just like to share my driving habits to keep my focus and cool while err... driving to avoid mishaps or incidents like this.

1. I observe the Christian way of motoring. The first shall be last and the last shall be first. I actually got this from James May. If someone cuts me that's fine, if someone overtakes me that's fine. let it be.

2. I always keep telling myself that I am living in a 3rd world country. So better expect lots of st*p*d, idiot and uneducated drivers on the road. And I will never ever stoop down to their level because I am more educated than them.

3. I have a playlist full of acoustic, jazz and bossanova tracks to keep my mood relaxed during traffic. Listening to 105.1 can be relaxing as well.

When I was younger I am kind of a hot headed kid on the road too. I also have my fair-share of on-road quarrels with another motorists as well. Luckily I am still alive and I am thankful for that. Let's always think of our safety first. if you don't care about yourself then better think about the safety of your loved ones.
  • Ads Dec 13 2013 @ 07:54am
    The news with photos was written in the Philippine Daily Inquirer yesterday.
  • Ads Dec 13 2013 @ 08:04am
    The shooter probably missed. He might be aiming for the father/driver not the bumper or daughter. The gun might not even have license. Dami kaso ipapataw dyan.