Peugeot distributor reveals official prices of PH lineup

By Patrick Everett Tadeo

TopGear.com.ph Philippine Car News - Peugeot PH distributor reveals official prices of its products

Last month, the Chief reported that he received the price list of Peugeot's products for the Philippine market from one of the French carmaker's dealerships. The timing couldn't have been better as, according to the Chief, an official from Peugeot's official vendor, Eurobrands Distributor Inc. (EDI), had refused to reveal the prices of their products.

Well, with EDI officially launching the Peugeot brand to the public at last weekend's Auto Focus Motorshow & Expo, the company has finally released the official prices of its cars per variant. The prices are listed below:

Peugeot 3008

1.6 eHDi Active - P1,495,000

1.6 eHDi Allure - P1,695,000

2.0 HDi Allure - P1,795,000

Peugeot 5008

1.6 eHDi Active - P1,695,000

1.6 eHDi Allure - P1,795,000

2.0 HDi Allure - P1,895,000

Peugeot 508

1.6 eHDi Active - P1,795,000

1.6 eHDi Allure - P1,895,000

2.0 HDi Allure - P1,995,000

Peugeot RCZ

1.6 THP - P2,750,000

If you double-check the prices we posted in October and compare them with what Peugeot has officially released, you'll notice that for nearly all the variants, there has been a P15,000 price increase save for the RCZ, which went up by a sizable P170,000. Could October's prices have been EDI's pre-selling rates? To quote the often-mentioned footnote in most pricing promotions, it looks like the prices were subject to change without prior notice.

COMMENTS

• motoriety Nov 12 2012 @ 02:32pm
    I'll say it again... the price of the RCZ is too damn high!

Nevertheless, I expect we'll be seeing quite a few on the road. It's still a looker, and I bet more than a few people will buy it for that reason alone.
  • PolFojas Nov 12 2012 @ 02:43pm
    Too expensive and thats even the old RCZ. 1.6 diesel. For power and features, I'd go for the 1.6 Veloster Turbo's out on the greymarket. 1.6m and you've got a sunroof, pushtostart, in-dash GPS, 200hps and that sense of having a rare car on the road.
    • GotToRead Nov 12 2012 @ 02:53pm
      wala pong RCZ na diesel variant na available.
      • PolFojas Nov 12 2012 @ 02:59pm
        oo nga pala. Thanks for correcting man. I saw the RCZ a month ago (i think) at Cuenca, ayala alabang. I think its the same 1.6. But you gotta admit, It would have been better if they sold the new one here or the acclaimed diesel variant.
        • GotToRead Nov 12 2012 @ 03:08pm
          You're right, with that price range I'd rather go for the Mustang V8 just add 200k more and you got a 5.0L V8 monster or a Mustang V6 or a 370z or a Hyundai Genesis Coupe. And considering that this is the "old" RCZ it does not make sense to price it that high. The new RCZ have a revised front fascia and with diifferent engine?
          • PolFojas Nov 12 2012 @ 03:23pm
            I'm not sure about it having a different engine. But its got a better front. Although its clear that among all the other RCZ's this sorta like their entry-level variant of the previews generation.
            • GotToRead Nov 12 2012 @ 06:03pm
              well it looks ok. The updated version is out yet?
  • GotToRead Nov 12 2012 @ 02:56pm
    The only overpriced car here is the RCZ. I saw Peugeot cars last Saturday in Auto Focus and God I love it! Everything on it, looks, engine, interior, materials used! Awesome, the 508 is damn hot, hell, if I have the money Id' rather buy a 508 over an Accord or Camry.
  • LeoKibs Nov 12 2012 @ 03:33pm
    One problem will be the aftersales of this products.
    The parts and service will be sure too damn high! :)
    • BOOGIECAT Nov 13 2012 @ 03:06pm
      there are lots of Peugeot dealerships with service centers so there's no problem with that!

expensive parts?I don't think so!
  • jmp.gutierrez Nov 12 2012 @ 03:36pm
    Great pricing on the part of Peugeot! Well, except for the RCZ lol.
  • LACOSTER Nov 12 2012 @ 03:42pm
    went to the autofocus show on sat and found out the way you open the trunk on the 508. That alone gave me a reason to want to buy one.
    • d.lake Nov 12 2012 @ 09:35pm
      how?
      • LACOSTER Nov 12 2012 @ 10:51pm
        You press the "0" on the 508 logo and the trunk pops up hahaha. Those french think of everything!

seriously though, that was just a joke :)
  • JoHunter Nov 12 2012 @ 04:42pm
    Well, that proves French cars are not quite in the class of German cars. Last Saturday while visiting the Peugeot booth I was surprised to learn the prices are way below their counterparts at BMW and Audi. Surprised and turned off, because if you're paying for a French car with little in the way of parts and services the same money you will shell out for an equivalent Honda or Toyota, what's the point?

For the sake of owning a European car? It's French :p
    • GotToRead Nov 12 2012 @ 05:47pm
      Because Peugeot is not a luxury brand unlike BMW and Audi.
      • JoHunter Nov 12 2012 @ 08:29pm
        Exactly my point. How is this brand going to compete against its price-level competitors when it will obviously be much more high-maintenance? What can it offer that the others don't have? Peugeot needs to come up with something special to thrive in this market.
        • GotToRead Nov 12 2012 @ 09:18pm
          Yep, I think technological features and fancy accessories will be their guns, I've seen them personally and I like them. If Peugeot can source their spare parts somewhere else other than Europe it can help to their cost-cutting in their maintenance.
        • LACOSTER Nov 12 2012 @ 09:22pm
          Well, it's European (Which some people find as a advantage, not all). Its stylish, its new, it features pretty premium options as standard (panoramic sunroof, television screens, etc.), they have a line up which covers quite a large part of the market and most importantly, they've all got great diesel engines, which is pretty much their main selling point. Just because its cheaper anyways, doesn't make it of lower quality. Why is Peugeot selling pretty well in other countries? They don't do that by making crap cars, they certainly didn't feel crap while testing them in the Autofocus show.
          • GotToRead Nov 13 2012 @ 12:51am
            I also agree with you sir, I also saw them in Autofocus show, I was surprised when I saw them, Top Gear UK used to talk crap about this brand but when I saw them, I asked myself: What's with all those crap? I'm not a really fan Peugeot, hell, I really wanted to see Citroen and Renault rather than this but they really are a great bargain. If you have the money, I see no reason why wouldn't you choose a 508 over a Camry or Accord.
            • GotToRead Nov 13 2012 @ 12:52am
              of*
            • isaac3654 Nov 13 2012 @ 10:12am
              Well, the reason why Top Gear UK talks crap about Peugeot is because of their old design language with the scary gaping mouth and it's poor reliability, but when the 508 was released, they praised it so much. It is a true je ne sais quoi. Reliability has been better over the years, and I hope that's true since I like the 508 so much!
              • GotToRead Nov 13 2012 @ 12:59pm
                But do you think the smaller engine can handle those big cars especially when they are filled with people and cargoes?
    • numbah5 Nov 17 2012 @ 12:36pm
      According to an EDI personnel that I talked to in their airconditioned lounge, maintenance (PMS and parts replacement) is slightly above the Japanese and Koreans but significantly cheaper than the premium Germans, Swedish and British.
    • numbah5 Nov 17 2012 @ 12:37pm
  • wazdog Nov 13 2012 @ 12:50am
    Test drove the 508 last Saturday. The exterior looks sexy! much better than any competitor, except maybe the optima. Interior design and quality is the best in its league. It also has cool features like the electronic park brake, a heads-up-display and its screen is bright and colourful. Drawbacks of the 508, especially for this segment, is the poor rear legroom and lack of rear camera.

But the biggest problem, and a deal breaker for me, is the weak engine. Even before the test drive I was doubtful of the ability of a 2.0 liter engine to power a large car. Unfortunately, the test drive confirmed my suspicions. Compared to a 3.5q Camry, it is absolutely no match. Heck, it would probably also lose to a 1.6L altis! At the intersection, when the stoplight turned green, I floored the pedal and for 3 seconds... nothing. Then the engine kicked in at a decent pace. The lack of engine response is utterly pitiful and it takes away the enjoyment of driving.

Unfortunately, the 508 is in an awkward place where drivers will complain about engine response and rear passengers will complain about the lack of legroom.

• vgpena Nov 13 2012 @ 11:27am
      Seriously nice mini-review :)
    • BOOGIECAT Nov 13 2012 @ 03:14pm
      Comparing a 3.5 liter V6 gas guzzling car to a diesel one is st*p*d!The 2 Liter Allure variant is much powerful and fuel efficient!

Read somewhere that the 508 is sold out for this month.
      • wazdog Nov 13 2012 @ 03:45pm
        FYI the 508 I drove was 2.0 liter Allure and it certainly was NOT powerful as I mentioned in my first post. The mileage as shown in the car's display was 16L/100km or 6.25km/L - just about the same as a 3.5Q V6 Camry.

What's st*p*d is claiming a car is powerful and efficient without even driving it.
    • numbah5 Nov 17 2012 @ 12:35pm
      Can I say my thoughts here? I also test drove the 508 last Saturday and I will say that the 2.0 HDi diesel engine is not that weak. It is potent enough to propel the vehicle, and overtaking can be a breeze. Of course it is weaker than the V6 engine of the Camry and the Accord, duh!

Fuel consumption displays that 16L/100 km because the test drive is around MOA, those test driving it always revs the engine to test out its power, and at nearly the end of the test drive time (5 pm), there is heavy traffic going back to the test drive parking area because of the attendees of PhilKonstruct expo going out of SMX. Driven conservatively with EDSA traffic it might return a 13.6-14L/100 km (7.1-7.3 km/l) fuel consumption.

But comparing its features with the new Camry and the Accord, and its price also, I can say that it will give the 2 Japanese competitors some tough competition.

• wazdog Nov 19 2012 @ 12:41am
        0-60mph times:
        Camry 3.5 - 6 seconds
        Optima 2.4 - 8 seconds
        508 2.0 - 9 seconds.
        Civic 1.8 - 9 seconds

You say it's silly to compare a 2.0 to a V6, well that's like saying its silly to compare the engine power of a Toyota gt86 to a genesis coupe because one is a 2.0 and one can be a 3.8. The fact is buyers see what their money can buy and what I'm saying is the peugeot is slow for a P2m sedan.

The biggest concern buyers would have is probably Peugeot's pitiful reliability rankings. It's in the bottom 10 of car manufacturers according to JD Power.

All that said, the car is much better looking than a Camry or an accord, the interior layout and perceived quality is superior and its features such as directional headlights and electronic park brake are unique to its class. If only they also brought in the 2.2L!
        • numbah5 Nov 19 2012 @ 01:04am
          I can definitely say it's silly because Toyota and Subaru can opt to build an engine that can be a worthy competitor to the 3.8 V6 engine of the Gen Coupe. V6 is always more powerful than the an inline 4 engine, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Because of your statement, you also said that for a 3M peso car, the BMW 320d E90 way back in 2007-2010 is slow for a 3M peso car. It has the same engine displacement with the 508, same power rating as well (163 ps), but the Bimmer has 10 more newton meters of torque than the Pug.

Mind you that since the introduction of the 508, Peugeot has won praises from motoring journalists all over the world, including those of Top Gear UK. Reliability has also improved AFAIK.

Now, Peugeot has really up the class with the introduction of the 508 for the local market. Next year, the 508 might have GPS Navigation also, as EDI (Peugeot Philippines) and Peugeot Southeast Asia is working on providing maps for the 508.
          • wazdog Nov 19 2012 @ 01:19am
            I'm not saying its a bad car. Just saying its slow for the price.

The BMW has a price premium because its a luxury car. And yes I would consider slow as well. But compared its competitors in the entry luxury segment, it's adequate.

Peugeot is certainly no luxury brand. It's competitors are the passats and camry's of the world. So all I'm saying is the P2m is going towards the style and perceived quality and the engine is lacking IMO.

Reliability has improved from 2nd worst to 10th worst.
            • numbah5 Nov 19 2012 @ 01:29am
              And will continue to improve. Just like Hyundai and Kia. I'm just saying that it poses a serious competition to the Camry and Accord. For me, power is adequate enough, and overtaking in rural highways can be a breeze.

And companies will take a second look at this executive sedan as the service vehicle of the executives, including the CEO, as it is more fuel efficient than the Camry and the Accord due to it being a diesel. Even some CEOs might take a second look at this also as their personal car.
              • wazdog Nov 19 2012 @ 01:43am
                I was looking at reviews and indeedtheyhave been positive. However, I came across a Car Magazine review that described accurately my experience. "The only chink in the armoury of the 508's 2.0 HDI engine is a laziness at low revs. Hitting the gas when pulling out at junctions while rolling in second gear has left me going nowhere a few times, as I'm caught off-boost with tallish gearing. I guess I need to get used to the characteristics of the set-up, but I don’t think it odd to expect a car to pull away in second if it’s on the move". I'm not the only one. :)

I have no doubt many executives will be attracted to this car. Just saying its the sluggishness ruins it for me plus the tight rear legroom could be an issue for those driven. I have to again praise the design and quality which is above that of its Asiancompetitors. Lets hope reliability improves as well.
  • BOOGIECAT Nov 13 2012 @ 03:18pm
    The RCZ's main rival is the MINI Coupe.The price increase is for the 2013 version!Expect very LOW sales volumes for that one!

Hoping the 301,308 and 408 will be next!
  • hopeless Nov 16 2012 @ 04:53pm
    I think the 508 is the only "reasonably priced".