Were you stuck in excruciating traffic recently? Notice the long lines in front of the ATM machines? Hear the Christmas carols being blared in the shopping malls? Yup, there's no avoiding it, Christmas is around the corner. And there's nothing like the holiday season to indulge in the things we want.
Since the lotto winner has been announced, and it's not me or I'd be in a BMW showroom right now choosing what color of leather seats my X6 will have, I will have to carefully deliberate on what I will spend my bonus on.
Hopefully it will be on one of these items:
1. Nike Dunk DeLorean, ($90 or P3,937.50) – This special edition shoe is inspired by the DeLorean DMC-12 car. The color is metallic matte silver, same as the car, and there are logos of DMC and Belfast (where the original factory was located) on the back and tongue, respectively. The coolest part has to be the sole: orange, red and white colors evoke the taillights of the DMC-12. Play 'The Power of Love' by Huey Lewis and the News on your iPod and you're Marty McFly. (Photo from ohwow.ca)
2. Seiko Sportura alarm chronograph watches (prices vary) – With the demise of the Honda F1 Racing team, Seiko no longer makes F1 Sportura watches. But it's hard to ignore the motorsports inspiration evident in their designs. Whether you're behind the wheel or on a night out, these watches will look good on your wrist.
3. Acer Liquid E Ferrari Special Edition (P29,990) – What's good about this mobile phone is it runs on the most prominent threat to the iPhone's supremacy so far--Google's Android operating system. With a 3.5" screen, 5-megapixel camera, and a GPS system, it even matches the iPhone's specs. But the iPhone doesn't come with a red bluetooth accessory does it?
4. Gran Turismo 5 (P4,200 for the special edition [Greenhills] price) – Five years in the waiting, 1,000+ cars, and the Top Gear test track. It's worth every centavo.
5. Jawbone Icon ($99 or P4,350.00) – With traffic enforcers becoming more vigilant in enforcing the ban on texting and calling while driving (and it's Christmas, so they expect people to have money to fork over), it's time to reevaluate the idea that bluetooth headsets are for geeks. One product that dispels the geek association is the Jawbone Icon, possibly the most design-oriented bluetooth accessory in the market. It doesn't even look like a headset from some angles. But this baby packs a tech punch. It has what Jawbone calls NoiseAssassin, noise cancellation technology supposedly developed for the military. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for our local traffic enforcers.
6. Nissan GT-R hard drive ($215 or P9,450.00) – Nothing spells car geek like an accurate replica of a Nissan GT-R with a 500GB hard drive built-in.
7. Energizer Jumpstarter and Air Compressor ($135 or P5,932.00) – Except for Willie Revillame's posters on EDSA, nothing quite kills the Christmas spirit more than a flat tire or a dead battery. This air compressor and jumpstarter combo can save your sanity during emergencies.
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops ($60 or P2,633.00) – If you're into the first person shooter genre of video games, the Call of Duty (COD) series needs no introduction. Heck, you're probably reading this in between playing missions. And if you're loaded, you can also order a Jeep Wrangler Call of Duty: Black Ops Edition: an all-black Jeep with COD logos on the roof and front quarter panels and dark Rubicon wheels. It'll set you back roughly $33,500 (P1,470,000.00 x 2 for taxes). No one said war was cheap.
9. iPhone 4 (16GP at P37,499.00 from Globe) – The iPhone is like the Porsche 911. Every time a new model comes out, it becomes a target for the competition to outdo. And when it comes to apps, the new battleground of smartphones, Apple's App Store still has the biggest selection. Equipped with the proper apps (navigation, travel guides, racing games, fuel economy trackers, and even a dyno!), it can become a car nut's best friend.
10. Canon G12 (P31, 950.00) – If you're wondering how many megapixels this has, don't worry, it has enough to capture the babes in car shows in all their glory. Its compact size will make you look more reserved compared to the horny nerds with their DSLRs and overcompensating lenses.