The suffix "of all time" (OAT) is a very heavy phrase. It carries with it a finality that no matter what arrives in the coming years, decades, and centuries, whatever comes before OAT is the absolute best. (If OAT becomes an accepted acronym like RTFM or FTW, I don't expect recognition, I'll just be happy I coined it.)
The tendency of mass media to hype things has given way to many liberties. Lists have come out claiming to be the definitive rundown of things we relate to: The Greatest Songs of All Time, The Best Albums, Greatest Guitar Riffs, Best Sci-Fi Movies, Top Sitcoms, and so on.
The motoring media is also part of this OAT bandwagon. We've seen lists like Top Supercars of All Time, Best Car Chases, even a Top Cars for Gay Men (but only for 2010). People love lists, and adding OAT at the end only makes the list more appealing, even if we just want to know if we agree with what is written.
We in Top Gear don't suffer from the need to sensationalize our topics just for the sake of more hits and views. Our topics can stand on their own. That's why I won't make a list of my Favorite SUVs of All Time. I'll just name one--the Mercedes-Benz G-Class.
Here's a list of why it's the best SUV in my opinion.
1. The shape is a classic. Ever since it was released in 1979, the basic boxy body is the same. It spits in the face of aerodynamics, and tells coefficient of drag that it doesn’t give a damn. This means the G-Class will never go out of style.
2. It was conceived as a military vehicle, before eventually being sold to civilians. Very similar to the histories of Jeep and Hummer. This means the chassis is military-grade, which means it might survive Manila potholes.
3. It has three locking differentials. To off-roaders like associate off-road editor Beeboy Bargas, the level of excitement this generates is the equivalent of putting FHM's Sexiest Woman in the World Angel Locsin on the hood of the G-Class wearing nothing but a thong and a smile. So yeah, it's serious 4x4 stuff.
4. It's not flashy, not in the Hummer H2 or Cadillac Escalade way. If people who don't know what it is see it on the street, they will think it's an old Benz, which, in a way, it is. But it has presence despite not calling attention to itself, and that's what I really like about it. Plus, people who want to be noticed won't buy it; No one will look at my G-Class and say "Oh Piolo has that." On an entirely unrelated note, that means I don't have to doubt the G-Class's masculinity.
5. The Hamster agrees with me.
Continue reading below ↓
Continue reading below ↓
6. It's macho rugged on the outside, and it has classic luxury on the inside.
7. You can take it on a night out, and it won't look out of place.
8. It looks good even when dirty.
9. It's not afraid to ford floods.
10. One can easily stare down tricycles with the G-Class.