The 45 Christmas Lanes the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority gave us last year seemingly weren't enough to combat the traffic brought on by the holiday, which is why the agency has now given us 12 more alternative routes to "use to avoid traffic jams on major roads."
According to MMDA chairman Francis Tolentino, the new routes lead to and from shopping centers in Makati, Pasay, Quezon City, San Juan, Manila and Marikina, where traffic volume is usually heavy during the month of December.
"We're hoping that these Christmas Lanes will help motorists plan their trips well and avoid traffic congestion," the MMDA chief added.
The 12 new Christmas Lanes are:
* From Greenhills to Rockwell: Take Wilson Street, left on P. Guevarra, Luna Mencias, right on Araullo, left on Balagtas, right on Shaw Boulevard, left on Acacia Lane, left on Fabella Road, right on M. Martinez Avenue, Maysilo, right on Sgt. Bumatay, then take Pantaleon Bridge to Rockwell.
* From SM North Edsa to Greenhills: Take West Avenue, left on Examiner, right on Quezon Avenue, take U-turn slot near Magbanua, take Scout Borromeo, right on Tomas Morato Avenue, right on E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue, left on Gilmore Avenue, Granada, then Ortigas Avenue to Greenhills.
* From SM San Lazaro to SM Mall Of Asia: Take A.H. Lacson, Nagtahan, Pres. Quirino Avenue, left on M. Adriatico Avenue, Vito Cruz, straight to Park Avenue, right on Buendia Avenue, then left on Macapagal Boulevard to Mall Of Asia (and vice versa).
* From SM North Edsa to Araneta Center: Along North Avenue, right on Elliptical Road, right on Kalayaan, K-J Street, 15th Street, then right on Aurora Boulevard to Araneta Center (and vice versa).
* From Dapitan Market to Divisoria: Take Dapitan Street, right on A.H. Lacson, left on Tayuman, then left on Dagupan to Divisoria.
* From Baclaran to Divisoria: Take Roxas Boulevard, Anda Circle, right on A. Soriano Jr., Muralla, left on Magallanes Drive, left on Q. Paredes, then Reina Regente to Divisoria Mall (and vice versa).
* From SM Sta. Mesa to SM North EDSA: Along Araneta Avenue, right on Del Monte, left on Roosevelt, right on Baler, left on Miller Avenue, right on Calumpit, left on Bansalangin, right on EDSA to SM North EDSA (and vice versa).
* From SM Manila to Greenhills: Take San Marcelino, left on U.N. Avenue, right on Pres. Quirino, right on Figueroa, left on Pedro Gil, New Panaderos, right on Shaw Boulevard, left on A. Mabini, then right on Wilson to Ortigas Greenhills.
* From Trinoma to SM Marikina: Along North Avenue, QMC, right on Kalayaan Avenue, left on V. Luna, right on Anonas, left on Chico, Xavierville Avenue, right on Katipunan, U-turn on Aurora Boulevard, then Marcos Highway to SM Marikina (and vice versa).
* From Eastwood to Ortigas Center: Take E. Rodriguez Avenue, right on Green Meadows, right on Ortigas Avenue, left on Lanuza, then right on Doña J. Vargas to Ortigas Center (and vice versa).
* From Ortigas Center to Makati Business District: Take ADB Avenue, San Miguel Avenue, left on Shaw Boulevard, right on Pioneer, right on Reliance, left on Sheridan, right on Pioneer, pass Boni tunnel to Maysilo, right on San Francisco, left on Coronado, then take Mandaluyong Bridge to Makati Business District (and vice versa).
* From Harrison to Rockwell: Take P. Ocampo, right on Arellano Avenue, left on Zobel Roxas, right on Kamagong, left on Chino Roces Avenue, then right on Kalayaan Avenue to Rockwell.
As for last year's Christmas Lanes, the MMDA broke them down by destination: for those traveling from north to south; for those traveling from south to north; and for those going to and coming from the metro's shopping meccas.