Well, so much for that. A report by CNN Philippines reveals that President Duterte’s promise earlier this year to reduce travel time from Cubao to Makati by five minutes is no longer feasible for 2019. The news was broken by presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo during a briefing in Malacañang.
“For this December, kalimutan na muna natin, unless you want to ride on a chopper,” Panelo said.
The spokesperson clarified that the president said the reduced travel time would only be possible if certain conditions were met. “Noong sinabi niya on the condition... na obtaining ‘yung dapat eh pero kung hindi, di pa naman tapos ‘yung term niya.”
In case you’ve forgotten, the powers that be in charge of the metro’s traffic management promised earlier this year that it will reduce travel time from Cubao to Makati along EDSA to just five minutes. The Metropolitan Manila Development Agency (MMDA) was certainly gung-ho about fulfilling the president’s promise, despite special operations commander Bong Nebrija admitting that one would need to be traveling in excess of 150kph to make such a feat possible. The government official later tried the trip for himself, managing it in roughly six minutes, though this trial run was done on a Sunday morning when the roads were empty.
How has your recent experience been on EDSA? Do you think this promise will ever be fulfilled? Sound off below.