An initial 308 modern jeepneys will hit the road again beginning today, June 22, as confirmed by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board via its Memorandum Circular No. 2020-023, released on June 19. The 308 units will cover 15 routes in Metro Manila.
In addition, more routes will be opened within the week—nine on June 24 and 10 on June 26—to serve other parts of Metro Manila that are adjacent to provinces.
“The resumption of PUJ operations in 15 routes in Metro Manila is part of our calibrated response to restore mass transportation in Metro Manila and in the adjacent provinces as we transition into new normal, taking into consideration the strict health protocols being enforced to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” said Martin Delgra III, LTFRB chairman.
Check out all the routes below:
Modern jeepney routes opening on June 22:
- Novaliches – Malinta via Paso de Blas
- Bagumbayan Taguig – Pasig via San Joaquin
- Fort Bonifacio Gate 3 – Guadalupe, Market Market (ABC) loop service
- Pandacan – Leon Guinto
- Quezon Avenue – LRT 5th Avenue Station
- Cubao (Diamond) – Roces Super Palengke
- EDSA Buendia – Mandaluyong City Hall via Jupiter, Rockwell
- Divisoria – Gasak via H. Lopez
- Punta – Quiapo via Santa Ana
- Boni Pinatubo – Stop and Shop, vice versa
- Boni Robinsons Complex – Kalentong/JRC, vice versa
- Nichols – Vito Cruz
- Filinvest City loop service
- Alabang Town Center (ATC) – Ayala Alabang Village loop service
- Vito Cruz Taft Avenue – PITX loop service
Modern jeepney routes opening on June 24:
- Bagong Silang – SM Fairview
- Malanday – Divisoria via M.H. del Pilar
- Parang, Marikina – Cubao
- Eastwood, Libis – Capitol Commons
- Gasak – Recto via Dagat-dagatan
- PITX – Lawton
- Alabang – Zapote
- PITX – Nichols
- PITX – SM Southmall
Modern jeepney routes opening on June 26:
- Quirino Highway – UP Town Center
- SM Fairview – Commonwealth via Regalado Avenue
- QMC Loop
- Tikling – Binangonan
- Antipolo – Pasig via East Bank Road
- Rosario – Pinagbuhatan Pasig
- West Aveune – P. Noval via Del Monte
- Biñan – Balibago via Manila South Road
- Tramo – Sucat
- San Isidro – Congressional Junction Dasmariñas
Both air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned modern jeepneys have a base fare of P11 for the first 4km. Each succeeding kilometer will add P1.50 for non-air-conditioned units and P1.80 for air-conditioned ones.
Modern jeepneys must comply with the requirements set by the Omnibus Franchising Guidelines (OFG) to ply the identified routes. To learn more about the requirements and to see which units are covered by the memorandum circular, check out the LTFRB’s full Facebook post here.
Other requirements for modern jeepneys that will operate along the said routes are valid personal passenger insurance policies, and either a global navigation satellite system or a global positioning system for proper monitoring of movement.
Meanwhile, here are the health and sanitary requirements that modern jeepney operators, drivers, and passengers must follow to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Cashless payments must be utilized, with the memorandum circular stating that “jeepney operators and drivers must make sure that commuters can make use of their mobile apps or contactless smart cards to pay for fares.”
- Everyone on board—drivers, conductors, and passengers—must wear face masks at all times. A disinfecting foot bath must be provided for the use of passengers before boarding.
- The passenger load must not exceed 50% of the unit’s seating capacity (excluding the driver and conductor). Passengers must be at least one seat apart, with seats to be occupied properly marked in the vehicle. No standing passengers will be allowed.
- Jeepney operators who wish to maximize the 50% allowed passenger capacity must install impermeable barriers to isolate the driver’s compartment and to separate rows of seats that are less than one meter apart.
Operators and drivers who fail to comply with any of these requirements will be subject to fines/penalties, and/or the cancellation or suspension of their certificate of public convenience or provisional authority under Joint Administrative Circular No. 2014-001.