President Rodrigo Duterte has approved imposing a ‘one seat apart’ rule in public transport, as the economy gradually and carefully restarts seven months into the COVID-19 quarantine, his spokesman said today, October 13.
Previously, commuters were required to be spaced one meter apart on board buses, trains, and jeeps. This is the minimum distance required to effectively prevent the spread of the coronavirus, according to research.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the economic cluster in the Cabinet recommended the ‘one seat apart’ arrangement, and it was approved during a meeting on Monday, October 12.
Current quarantine classifications are good until October 31. Metro Manila, home to roughly a tenth of the country’s 100 million people, is under general community quarantine, the second lowest classification.
As of this writing, the country’s tally of COVID-19 cases is 344,713, with 44,958 active cases. Total recoveries are at 293,383, while 6,372 have succumbed to the disease.
NOTE: This article appeared on Reportr.world. Minor edits have been made.