McLaren pulls out of 2020 Formula 1 season opener in Australia

After a team member tested positive for coronavirus
by Greg Potts | Mar 12, 2020
PHOTO: TopGear.com

McLaren Racing has confirmed that it has withdrawn from the 2020 Australian Grand Prix after a team member tested positive for the coronavirus.

McLaren says the individual was “tested and self-isolated as soon as they started to show symptoms,” but CEO Zak Brown and team principal Andreas Seidl have taken the decision to not race in this weekend’s 2020 Formula 1 season opener.

Free practice one was due to start on Friday, but the race will now be in serious doubt after McLaren’s decision.

Reigning champion Lewis Hamilton had already expressed surprise at the race going ahead. “I am very, very surprised we are here,” said the Brit in the official Formula 1 press conference. “It’s great we have races but it’s shocking we are sitting in this room.”

As ever, we’ll keep you updated as this story evolves.

NOTE: This article first appeared on TopGear.com. Minor edits have been made.

Continue reading below ↓

See Also

Continue reading below ↓
Recommended Videos
PHOTO: TopGear.com
  • Quiz Results

  • TGP Rating:
    /20

    Starts at ₱

    TGP Rating:
    /20
    Starts at ₱