Victims of recent typhoons have one less thing to worry about--at least until November 15.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) is suspending penalties for late renewal of driver's licenses and registration of motor vehicles in areas affected by typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng.
Licenses due for renewal from October 8 to 30 may be processed until November 15.
Vehicles with plate numbers ending in the numbers 9 and 0 may also be renewed until November 15 without penalties.
Areas covered by the LTO's penalty waiver are:
- Region 1 (Pangasinan, Ilocos Sur)
- Region 2 (Quirino, Nueva Vizcaya, Isabela)
- Region 3 (Aurora, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac, Zambales, Bulacan and Bataan)
- Region 4-A (Rizal, Quezon, Batangas, Laguna, Cavite)
- Region 4-B (Marinduque, Mindoro Oriental, Mindoro Occidental, and Lubang Island)
- Region 5 (Camarines Sur)
- Cordillera Autonomous Region (Mountain Province, Ifugao, Benguet)
- National Capital Region
The LTO charges a fine of at least P75 for late driver's license renewal, while it collects a penalty equal to 50 percent of the registration fee for late motor vehicle registration.