Are you a badass motorcycle rider aged 14 to 20? If you are and you think you have what it takes to be the next Valentino Rossi, you should apply for a slot in the Shell Advance Asia Talent Cup, a new and exciting competition set for 2014 and open to all aspiring young Asia-based riders.
According to Shell, "The first pan-Asia motorcycle talent search will be a stepping stone for young riders in the Asia region to become world-class motorcycle racers. In 2014, its debut year, a total of 22 young riders will be selected to compete on Honda NSF250R Moto3 race bikes in the first Shell Advance Asia Talent Cup."
Races are set for Japan, Malaysia and Qatar, coinciding with MotoGP races. There will also be a race in India, alongside the World Superbike Championship, and further rounds in Indonesia and China.
"Shell is looking for the best of Asia's young motorcycle talent, so it's time to get your name entered for the Shell Advance Asia Talent Cup," says Shell's general manager for consumer brands marketing, Andrew Hepher. "It really is a great privilege for us to be able to support the young motorcycle talent in Asia. We are giving young riders a unique chance to show the world what they are capable of, and the most talented among them will get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to race at a very competitive level. We are very proud to be part of this competition, which will find real talent and identify the riders of the future."
The Shell Advance Asia Talent Cup is being organized by Dorna Sports, the owner of both MotoGP and World Superbike Championship. Event partners include Honda Racing Corporation, Sepang International Circuit, Red Bull, Air Asia, Bridgestone, Alpinestars and X-Lite.
How to apply? Go to the Shell Advance Asia Talent Cup page, where the application form will be accessible until September 22, 2013.
If the panel of experts determines that you have what it takes to join the race, you will be invited to the selection event on October 14-15 at the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia, where "you will have the chance to show your riding ability using a Honda underbone motorcycle."
Below are the criteria for the selection process:
* Date of birth must be between January 1, 1994, and March 31, 2000;
* Road racing experience is not essential, but high-performance riding experience is required; and
* Nationality from a country within the Asian region
Additional reminders from the organizers:
* Each candidate will need to bring the following equipment: one-piece leather suit, boots, gloves, helmet, and a back protector. All these items have to comply with the safety standards for general road racing and be in good condition;
* The participants are aware that, if selected, they must arrange all documents and visas necessary to travel to Malaysia for the selection event;
* Riders should be aware that they will be required to attend in the morning of their selection day. The exact time and date will be communicated to the candidates approximately 10 days before the event by e-mail;
* After registration and verification of documents, riders will be required to attend a short briefing session. They will then receive a time slot for their test, which will last for approximately 15 minutes. It is intended that candidates will have a second time slot, but this cannot be guaranteed. Candidates may be invited to remain for the second test day. Otherwise they are free to leave;
* Final participants for the 2014 Shell Advance Asia Cup will be decided a few days after the selection event. All riders will be informed subsequently.
So, do you see yourself as the next Valentino Rossi or even as the next Maico Buncio? Apply now.