Planning a trip this weekend? Here are the areas you need to avoid as the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) will be conducting road improvement and maintenance works around Metro Manila.
From 10pm on March 2 to 4am on March 5, expect traffic in the following areas:
• Aurora Boulevard (southbound), Pasay City, from EDSA to Aurora Bridge;
• New Panaderos St., Sta. Ana, Manila, from Sta. Ana Church to Lamayan St.;
• South Superhighway (southbound) from Zobel Roxas St. to Quirino Avenue;
• EDSA, Quezon City (southbound) the third lane from West Avenue to Quezon Avenue;
• EDSA, Quezon City (northbound) the fifth lane from Corregidor St. to Fema Road;
• Batasan (eastbound) from IBP to San Mateo Road;
• EDSA, Caloocan City (northbound) the third lane from the center island going to Monumento between F. Aguilar St. And Tirona St.;
• EDSA, Caloocan City (northbound) the fourth lane from center island going to Monumento between Don Vicente Ang St. and Evangelista St., and the fifth lane between Arellano St., and M. Ponce St.;
• Aurora Boulevard (eastbound) outer lane from 15th Avenue to 20th Avenue;
• N. Domingo Street (one lane) from Banahaw St., to Balete Drive;
• Boni Serrano Avenue;
• Aurora Boulevard going to EDSA, the first lane from sidewalk between Driod St., and C. Benitez St.;
• EDSA (northbound) going to Cubao, the first lane from the sidewalk between Gate 3 and Gate 2 of Camp Aguinaldo;
• Pasong Tamo Avenue (outer lane) between Makati Diversion Channel and EDSA;
• Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue (center lane) between South Superhighway and Dian St.;
• C-3 Road, Navotas City corner North Bay Blvd. (inner lane) going to R-10 Road;
• Blumentritt St., Sampaloc, Manila from Maria Clara to Laon-Laan Street;
• Reposo St., Sta. Mesa Manila
• Quiapo, Manila at P. Casal St., District III; and
• Manila East Road (eastbound and westbound) at Rosario-Cainta Road, Pasig City.
According to the DPWH, the repair and maintenance of these national roads have been coordinated with the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA). For any concern, complaint, suggestion, recommendation, or observation, people are advised to call 165-02 or 536-3477 or to send a text message to the agency by typing "DPWH (your message)" and then send it to 2920.
As for the repair and rehabilitation of the southbound portion of the South Superhighway Bridge II in Paco, Manila, the DPWH will start working on it on March 3 and, according to DPWH National Capital Region director Reynaldo Tagudando, the project is "expected to be completed within 45 calendar days or up to April 16, 2012."
The project involves the demolition and reconstruction of the bridge superstructure, including the railings and guardrails. To pave way for the repair works, the DPWH in coordination with the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority will totally close to vehicular traffic on March 3 the southbound lanes of the South Superhighway from President Quirino Avenue to San Andres Street.
Though the northbound section of the bridge will be open to two-way traffic, motorists are advised to take alternate routes to lessen the expected congestion of vehicles in the area.
Based on the DPWH's Traffic Management Plan, the public may take the following alternate routes to avoid inconvenience.
Northbound motorists on the southbound lane of the South Superhighway are advised to turn left on either on Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue or EDSA to reach their destination. If they are on the southbound section but are headed north, they can turn right either on Zobel Roxas Avenue or San Andres to reach Onyx Street where they can turn left to reach their destination.
Southbound motorists, on the other hand, are advised to either take Taft Avenue, Leon Guinto or Roxas Boulevard to reach their destination.