Bet you didn't see this one coming. A few weeks ago, we asked people on our Facebook page to guess what our cover for our upcoming May issue is (actually, we have two covers and the all-new Honda CR-V is one of them). Not one person mentioned the fourth-generation CR-V, and we didn't bother enlightening everyone as we had agreed to Honda's embargo at the time.
Today, however, we can officially announce it: Honda Cars Philippines has formally launched the 2012 CR-V. For the full story on the car, get our May issue. But here are 10 basic facts that you need to know about the latest iteration of Honda's popular compact SUV:
* There are two variants: the 2.4-liter EX (185hp, 220Nm) and the 2.0-liter LX (153hp, 190Nm), both equipped with a five-speed automatic transmission.
* The 2.4 EX is 4WD while the 2.0 LX is 2WD.
* The new CR-V, just like its sibling Civic, comes with the fuel-saving Econ button. (See photo below.)
* The new CR-V is basically the same size as the outgoing model, except it's one inch lower.
* The suspension setup: MacPherson struts in front and double wishbones at the back.
* Both variants are shod with 17-inch alloy wheels and 225/65 tires.
* The higher-end EX has a power sunroof, vehicle stability assist and hill-start assist, among many others.
* Both variants have dual front airbags, ABS and electronic brake-force distribution. They also both have fabric seat material.
* Our favorite feature is the one-touch folding of the rear seat. (See our video below, taken during our cover shoot a few weeks back.)
* The price? The 2.4 EX is P1.655 million and the 2.0 LX is P1.425 million.
Feel free to post your thoughts on the all-new Honda CR-V on the comment box below.
Photos by Vernon B. Sarne
If you're viewing this on a mobile device and can't see the video, please click here.