The all-new Mazda2, known in other markets as the Demio, may start rolling on local roads by January, a reliable industry source told TopGear.com.ph.
The revelation came with a Bangkok Post report saying the AutoAlliance Thailand plant in Rayong will start exporting the five-door Mazda2 to other Southeast Asian countries by December.
"The Mazda2 will be shipped to Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Australia to cash in on the lower tariffs under Asean Free Trade Area and the free trade agreement between Thailand and Australia," the Bangkok Post report said.
The Mazda2 prides itself as a stylish and sporty car that uses the same global B-car platform as the Ford Fiesta.
Click "next" to see the ten reasons why the Mazda2 rocks
Ten reasons why the Mazda2 makes such an excellent, affordable choice of supermini*
1. There's no excess weight on this small car. It's lighter, smaller and smarter than others in the field but somehow manages to have plenty of space inside too.
2. Lightweightness also equals low CO2 and low fuel usage - achieving 68.9 mpg (1.4 diesel combined figures). Good for the pocket and good for the planet.
3. Nimble handling means buckets of that fun-to-drive feeling you only get with a car this responsive.
4. Its aerodynamic design and sporty looks provide a real wow factor. And even more wow when you're driving a sports model with full sports kit.
5. Innovative, practical storage is carefully presented throughout the car with large door pockets, multiple cup holders, plus there's a handy 60/40 rear seat split (TS2 and Sport models) for more flexible loading.
6. Excellent passenger comfort throughout with class-leading headroom for even the tallest of drivers.
7. Packed with features as standard including auxiliary jack MP3 socket to connect to all your favourite tunes on your favourite journeys.
8. First-class safety including ABS, Emergency Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Emergency Brake assist (EBA), ISOFIX child seat anchorages, and up to six airbags. Peace of mind assured.
9. Gadgets galore with dusk sensing auto-lights, rain-sensing auto-wipers (Sport models), electric folding mirrors (TS2 and Sport models) and a Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser as standard on all models to keep those sticky fingers at bay.
10. Innovative use of lightweight, ultra-high-tensile steel, which helps to keep weight down and increases body shell rigidity--safety for all your friends and family.