Tomorrow, January 9, is the annual procession of the Black Nazarene, which means wild traffic jams in the metro. Thankfully, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority has released an advisory that serves as a guide for motorists. According to the agency, the procession will start at Quirino Grandstand (Luneta) at about 7am onwards. Below are the details.
Route: From Quirino Grandstand (Luneta), right on Katigbak Drive through P. Burgos, left on Taft Avenue (P. Burgos) through MacArthur Bridge, right on Palanca through under Quezon Bridge, left on Quezon Boulevard., right on Fraternal, right on Vergara, left on Duque de Alba, left on Castillejos, left on Farnecio, right on Arlegui, left on Nepomuceno, left on Aguila, right on Carcer, right on Hidalgo through Plaza Del Carmen, left at Bilibid Viejo through Puyat, left on Guzman, right on Hidalgo, left on Barbosa, right on Globo de Oro through under Quezon Bridge, right on Palanca, right on Villalobos through Plaza Miranda to Quiapo Church.
1. Stretch of Roxas Boulevard and Bonifacio Drive from Anda Circle to T.M. Kalaw (northbound and southbound lanes);
2. Southbound Quezon Boulevard from Recto to Palanca (subway Isetann Recto);
3. Stretch of Lerma from P. Campa to Quezon Boulevard;
4. Taft Avenue/Finance (westbound lane);
5. Lagusnilad/P. Burgos (westbound lane);
6. P. Burgos/Taft Avenue (Freedom Triangle, northbound lane);
7. Villegas/N.A. Lopez; and
8. 25th Street/Bonifacio Drive (southbound lane)
* 8am (January 8) - Katigbak Drive and South Drive will be closed to traffic
* 4am (January 9) - southbound lane of Quezon Boulevard (Quiapo), from Andalucia/Fugoso to Plaza Miranda and España/P.Campa/Lerma, will be closed to traffic for public-utility vehicles (PUV) only.
* 5am (January 9) - total closure for all types of vehicles will be implemented. North area: P. Campa/España, Nicanor Reyes/España, Andalucia/Fugoso, Recto/Isetann (Service Road), and Raon/Evangelista. South area: Ma. Orosa/P. Burgos, Lagusnilad/P. Burgos, Taft/Finance/Westbound, A. Villegas/Taft Avenue (LRT), 25th Street/Bonifacio Drive, N.A. Lopez/A. Villegas, Anda Circle/Bonifacio Drive, Gen. Luna/P. Burgos, Roxas Boulevard T.M. Kalaw, and Katigbak/Roxas Boulevard.
Rerouting of vehicles:
1. Vehicles coming from Quezon City using the stretch of España shall turn right on P. Campa, left on Andalucia, right on Fugoso, left on T. Mapua to point of destination.
2. Public-utility jeepneys and light vehicles coming from España intending to proceed to South Pier Zone shall turn left on Nicanor Reyes, right on Recto straight to JAS, left on Reina Regente onto Jones Bridge, right on Magallanes Drive to point of destination.
3. Vehicles coming from northern part of Manila intending to utilize the southbound stretch of Bonifacio Drive shall turn right on Roberto S. Oca Street, left on Delgado, left on 25th Street, left on Bonifacio Drive (for Port Area offices), or shall turn right on A. Soriano to Magallanes Drive, right on P. Burgos, straight to Lagusnilad to Taft Avenue.
4. All vehicles coming from southern part of Manila intending to utilize the stretch of P. Burgos shall take TM Kalaw, left on Taft Avenue, right on A. Villegas, right on Quezon Bridge to point of destination (note: northbound part of Quezon Boulevard is open to traffic).
5. Vehicles coming from southern part of Manila intending to utilize the northbound part of Roxas Boulevard from P. Ocampo to P. Burgos shall turn right on T.M. Kalaw, left on Taft Avenue to point of destination.
6. PUJs plying Monumento-Gasak-Recto intending to utilize Andalucia through Recto shall turn right on Oroqueta to point of origin.
7. Vehicles coming from Legarda shall turn right on Recto or left on Mendiola to point of destination.
8. Vehicles using northbound Taft Avenue shall turn right on A. Villegas (Arroceros), right on Quezon Bridge to point of destination.
9. Heavy vehicles/cargo trucks coming from the south shall take President Osmeña, then President Quirino to Nagtahan via A.H. Lacson to Capulong (vice versa).
10. Motorists intending to proceed to north or south of Manila shall utilize the stretch of A.H. Lacson to Nagtahan (vice versa), or utilize the stretch of Road 10 to Roxas Boulevard (vice versa) to point of destination.
11. Buses coming from eastern part of Manila including G-Liner/RRCG utilizing Legarda shall turn right on Palanca to Quiapo Ilalim to point of destination.
12. Buses coming from Taft Avenue going to Fairview shall turn right on UN Avenue up to Otis, left on Nagtahan, straight to A.H. Lacson, right on España to point of origin.
13. Buses coming from southern part of Manila, Laguna and Cavite utilizing Taft Avenue are not allowed to enter from 7am to 2pm. They are allowed only up to Remedios Street, then right on San Marcelino back to point of origin.
Map plotted by GMA News Online