How time flies. At the recently held media thanksgiving party of Manila North Tollways Corporation (MNTC), the company excitedly announced that it would celebrate in the coming months 10 years of managing North Luzon Expressway.
We asked MNTC president Rodrigo Franco to share with us 10 of the company's milestones:
* MNTC started handling NLEX in February 2005.
* In 2007, MNTC moved its office from Pasig to Balintawak. "We wanted to be closer to our operations," Franco said.
* The toll management company had some business changes in 2009, one of which was a change in ownership. That year, the Metro Pacific Group acquired MNTC (it used to be part of the Lopez Group of Companies).
* That same year, president and CEO Ping de Jesus retired and Manny V. Pangilinan became chairman.
* MNTC became the first toll road company in the Philippines to be ISO-certified in 2010.
* Also in 2010, construction of the Mindanao Avenue link was completed.
* The Smart Connect Interchange was likewise completed in 2010. It's the biggest cloverleaf interchange in the country.
* In 2013, construction of the Harbor Link commenced. It was a project worth P10 billion. Expect the first section of the Harbor Link to open in the first quarter of 2015.
* This year, the company's toll system got a makeover by being migrated to Easytrip.
* The company recently got recertified by ISO (ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2004, and OHSAS 18001:2007) for its integrated management systems.
Photo by Elaine Lara