With Metro Manila traffic expected to become heavier (or more intense, if you will) as the holiday season draws closer, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority is implementing 11 traffic management programs to help ease the traffic buildup and assist motorists.
1. New mall hours from 11am to 11pm until January 3, 2015. Mall hours, however, will be different on December 24, 25 and 31, and on January 1.
2. The Pasig River Ferry service's operations have started an hour earlier, from the previous 6am to the current 5am. From December 16 to 24, the ferry service will be open by 4am "to accommodate churchgoers for the Simbang Gabi tradition."
3. Save for flagship projects of the Department of Public Works and Highways, expressway projects, and emergency leak repairs of water utility companies, a moratorium has been set on all road repair and reblocking activities "and all other excavation works."
4. Starting December 3, which is today, and for a period of six months, trucks are banned from Roxas Boulevard. Instead, the MMDA has issued the following alternate routes:
* From the Port Area to Cavitex, truck drivers are advised to take Bonifacio Drive, turn left on P. Burgos, then Finance Road and Ayala Boulevard, turn right on San Marcelino, turn left on Quirino Avenue, and turn right on South Luzon Expressway to reach their destination.
* From Cavitex to the Port Area, truck drivers are advised to take SLEX via Governor’s Drive, turn right on Quirino Avenue, turn left on Plaza Dilao, turn right on Quirino Avenue Extension, turn left on UN Avenue, turn right on Romualdez, turn left on Ayala, then Finance Road and P. Burgos, and right on Bonifacio Drive to the Port Area.
5. The MMDA has posted four Airport loops.
* From SLEX to the Domestic Airport, motorists are advised to take Dr. A Santos Avenue in Sucat, turn on Kabihasnan Road to get on either the Coastal Road or Dongalo Service Road, turn right on NAIA Road, and then turn left on Domestic Road.
* From the Manila or Makati area to the Domestic Airport, motorists are advised to take Roxas Boulevard, turn left on Airport Road, and then turn right on Domestic Road.
* Another route from the Manila or Makati area to the Domestic Airport is to take SLEX or Skyway to Bicutan, turn right on Doña Soledad Avenue in Better Living Subdivision, take E. Rodriguez Avenue, Kaingin Road, Multinational Avenue, Ninoy Aquino Avenue, NAIA Road and Domestic Road.
* For those from the Manila or Makati area going to either Terminal 1 or 2, they are advised to follow the same route above.
6. The MMDA has also posted four Christmas shopping lanes.
* From SLEX to SM Mall of Asia complex, motorists are advised to take the Sucat Exit to Dr. A. Santos Avenue, take Kabihasnan, Coastal Road, Pacific Avenue, Diosdado Macapagal Avenue and EDSA to reach their destination.
* A second option from SLEX to SM Mall of Asia would be to take the Bicutan Exit to Doña Soledad Avenue, take E. Rodriguez Avenue, Kaingin Road, Multinational Aveue, Dr. A. Santos Avenue, Kabihasnan, Coastal Road, Pacific Avenue, Diosdado Macapagal Avenue and EDSA to reach their destination.
* For motorists traveling from Makati to Quezon City, they are advised to take Estrella Street, cross the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge, take Barangka Drive, Nueve de Pebrero, S. Laurel Street, A. Mabini Street, Wilson Street, Ortigas Avenue, N. Domingo Avenue, Doña Hemady, Scout Tobias, Scout Borromeo, Panay Avenue and EDSA to reach their destination.
* For those going to Makati from Quezon City, they are advised to take Scout Borromeo from EDSA, take Scout Tuazon and Scout Rallos to Mother Ignacia, take Scout Reyes, Gumamela Bridge, Doña Rodriguez, N. Domingo, Pinaglabanan, P. Guevarra, D. Arellano Street, Shaw Boulevard, Acacia Lane, F. Ortigas Street, Primo Cruz, Blumentritt, Coronado and the Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge.
7. The MMDA will post 10 traffic enforcers at every major mall along EDSA to assist the police personnel also assigned to said shopping centers.
8. The MMDA will also increase its visibility by fielding more personnel throughout the metro.
9. A bicycle lane will be implemented along Roxas Boulevard to go with the MMDA's bike-sharing program like the one it first implemented on EDSA in January 2013.
10. The MMDA will also implement a Christmas shuttle system, which is essentially a provision for four city buses in every major mall on EDSA for last-minute shoppers.
11. Provisions for shuttle buses to and from the Domestic airport for arriving and departing passengers.
Now you know. Use these to your motoring advantage.