What a cracker of a race this was, and a topsy-turvy one at that! It really is difficult to make predictions because of unexpected circumstances. The cars\' performances are so close--a much-needed ingredient for wheel-to-wheel racing, which the Bahrain Grand Prix offered lots of.
With such an eventful race, how did we do with our predictions?
1. It will continue to be tight among the top four teams. We think Ferrari will finally take this one. The fight for pole was tight. Although we have to admit that we didn\'t expect Nico Rosberg to take it. Fernando Alonso looked strong and will undoubtedly be contending for pole all season long. But realizing he was down on Rosberg\'s time, he went straight to the pits to conserve his tires. We nearly got our first point.
2. Nico Hulkenberg will continue his strong form and finish in the points. Not this time. The pace of the Sauber just wasn\'t there. He finished 12th.
3. Nico Rosberg will finally get one over teammate Lewis Hamilton. This one puzzled us. It\'s pretty clear the Mercs didn\'t have the speed on Sunday, but after Rosberg\'s pit stop, his pace disappeared. As for Hamilton, he was much faster after his pit stop. They finished ninth and fifth, respectively. No point for us still.
4. Sergio Perez will continue to struggle. Critics must have jolted Perez. He crossed the finish line in sixth, his best finish so far in a McLaren. The MP4-28 may not be up to scratch just yet, but the McLaren duo added spice to the race, trading places and coming close a number of times. The Brit finished 10th. We tipped the wrong driver.
5. Fernando Alonso will score a second straight win. So much for luck--Alonso\'s and ours. He could\'ve battled for the win. Instead, a DRS glitch dropped him to 19th. He finished eighth with a relentless recovery drive, running as high as seventh. A duel with Sergio Perez on the last few laps added more excitement.
Total score: 0 out of 5 (yeah, yeah...we suck)
|BAH||Starting grid||Race results|
|Pos||Driver (Team)||Quali||Driver (Team)||Time/Gap|
|1||N. Rosberg (Mercedes)||1m32.330s||S. Vettel (Red Bull)||1h36m00.498s|
|2||S. Vettel (Red Bull)||1m32.584s||K. Raikkonen (Lotus)||+9.1s|
|3||F. Alonso (Ferrari)||1m32.667s||R. Grosjean (Lotus)||+19.5s|
|4||F. Massa (Ferrari)||1m33.207s||P. di Resta (Force India)||+21.7s|
|5||P. di Resta (Force India)||1m33.235s||L. Hamilton (Mercedes)||+35.2s|
|6||A. Sutil (Force India)||1m33.246s||S. Perez (McLaren)||+35.9s|
|7||M. Webber (Red Bull)||1m33.078s (Penalty)||M. Webber (Red Bull)||+37.2s|
|8||K. Raikkonen (Lotus)||1m33.327s||F. Alonso (Ferrari)||+37.5s|
|9||L. Hamilton (Mercedes)||1m32.762s (Penalty)||N. Rosberg (Mercedes)||+41.1s|
|10||J. Button (McLaren)||No Time||J. Button (McLaren)||+46.6s|
|11||R. Grosjean (Lotus)||1m33.762s||P. Maldonado (Williams)||+1m06.4s|
|12||S. Perez (McLaren)||1m33.914s||N. Hulkenberg (Sauber)||+1m12.9s|
|13||D. Ricciardo (Toro Rosso)||1m33.974s||A. Sutil (Force India)||+1m16.7s|
|14||N. Hulkenberg (Sauber)||1m33.976s||V. Bottas (Williams)||+1m21.5s|
|15||V. Bottas (Williams)||1m34.105s||F. Massa (Ferrari)||+1m26.3s|
|16||J. Vergne (Toro Rosso)||1m34.284s||D. Ricciardo (Toro Rosso)||+1 lap|
|17||P. Maldonado (Williams)||1m34.425s||C. Pic (Caterham)||+1 lap|
|18||C. Pic (Caterham)||1m35.283s||E. Gutierrez (Sauber)||+1 lap|
|19||J. Bianchi (Marussia)||1m36.178s||J. Bianchi (Marussia)||+1 lap|
|20||G. van der Garde (Caterham)||1m36.304s||M. Chilton (Marussia)||+1 lap|
|21||M. Chilton (Marussia)||1m36.476s||G. van der Garde (Caterham)||+2 laps|
|22||E. Gutierrez (Sauber)||1m34.730s (Penalty)||J. Vergne (Toro Rosso)||retired|
|1||S. Vettel||77||Red Bull-Renault||109|
|5||M. Webber||32||Force India-Mercedes||26|
|7||R. Grosjean||26||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||7|
Photo from Nico Rosberg\'s Facebook page