It's still a week prior to the opening Geneva Motor Show, the venue for Volvo's launch of the all-new V40, yet the Scandinavian carmaker is already confident the premium hatchback's ability to overtake competition.
"The all-new V40 is the first new model that is fully developed according to our human-centric, Designed Around You strategy," said Volvo president and chief executive Stefan Jacoby. "Charged with an outstanding set of high-tech features, it definitely will give our toughest competitors a headache."
The V40's "human-centric" characteristic isn't just some random description given to Volvo's all-new car. The premium sedan's features are actually a result of a collection of inputs from Volvo clients.
"The car is loaded with features that buyers of modern luxury cars want," Jacoby said.
* Engine options include Volvo's first-ever diesel with carbon dioxide emissions of just 94 grams per kilometer to the turbo-charged T5 petrol engine that produces 254hp. All engines come with a start-stop feature and braking energy regeneration, whether in manual or automatic transmission.
* The Volvo V40 is packed with class-leading safety and driver-support features like pedestrian detection and full auto brake.
* It also comes with Volvo's City Safety low-speed collision-avoidance system that is active at speeds up to 50kph.
* New features in the Volvo V40 include the world's first pedestrian airbag, lane-keeping aid and park-assist pilot.
* With all its features, Volvo expects to sell 90,000 units of the V40 annually. As much as 85 percent of this figure will be registered in the European market.
* Production of the all-new Volvo V40 will start in May 2012 at the company's plant in Ghent, Belguim.
"The all-new V40 is the most intelligent and safe Volvo model so far," said Hakan Abrahamsson, V40 vehicle programme manager. "All its features are designed around the driver, helping him or her stay alert and well-informed to avoid collisions and dangerous situations."
With its class-leading safety package, Volvo expects the V40 to ace the 2012 Euro NCAP safety tests with a full-star rating.