Ward\'s Automotive, a company that produces publications covering the car industry, has revealed its \"10 Best Engines\" for 2014, choosing the winners from an initial list of 44 powertrains that were evaluated by the publication\'s editors in October and November.
For this year\'s winners, eight engines are equipped with direct-fuel injection, while six come with forced induction. However, unlike least year\'s list, which was made up entirely of gasoline-powered engines, this year sees three diesel mills and an electric unit joining six petrol-fed powerplants, one of which happens to be a three-cylinder turbo.
The 10 motors that made it to Ward\'s 10 Best Engines list for 2014 are:
* 3.0-liter TFSI supercharged DOHC V6 (Audi S5)
* 3.0-liter turbodiesel DOHC I6 (BMW 535d)
* 3.0-liter turbodiesel DOHC V6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)
* 83kW electric motor (Fiat 500e)
* 1.0-liter EcoBoost DOHC I3 (Ford Fiesta)
* 2.0-liter turbodiesel DOHC I4 (Chevrolet Cruze Diesel)
* 6.2-liter OHV V8 (Chevrolet Corvette Stingray)
* 3.5-liter SOHC V6 (Honda Accord)
* 2.7-liter DOHC H6 boxer (Porsche Cayman)
* 1.8-liter turbocharged DOHC I4 (Volkswagen Jetta)
Of the 10 engines on the list, two are awardees of Ward\'s top engine honors last year: Audi\'s 3.0-liter supercharged V6 and Honda\'s 3.5-liter V6.
\"We weren’t looking to throw the bums out, as they might say about an election,\" said WardsAuto World editor-in-chief Drew Winter. \"We were just really impressed with a flood of new powertrains. What was great yesterday might be less impressive tomorrow because engine technology is changing so rapidly.\"