By July, Mini's John Cooper Works models will come with a new-generation engine that the British carmaker says develops the same levels of output and torque as its predecessor, and yet responds faster to inputs while substantially reducing its fuel consumption and emissions.
The new-generation 1.6-liter engine is based on the unit found on the Mini Cooper S and boasts a twin-scroll turbocharger, an aluminum cylinder block, reinforced pistons, a high-strength cylinder head, and low-weight crankshafts. The exhaust valves are also sodium-filled to help provide the extra cooling required by a turbocharged engine, while the intake camshaft features infinite phase adjustment.
According to Mini, the new engine produces a maximum output of 211hp and 260Nm of torque, though with the overboost function, its torque output can be raised to 280Nm for a short time.
A six-speed manual gearbox comes as standard with the new-generation mill, although a six-speed automatic transmission with Steptronic function comes as an option, allowing the driver to change gears manually using either the selector lever or the shift paddles on the steering wheel.
With its new powertrain combination, Mini has listed down the zero-to-100kph time and top speed of all its six John Cooper Works models. They are:
* Mini John Cooper Works: 0-to-100kph in 6.5 seconds (6.7 seconds with the automatic) and a top speed of 238kph (236kph);
* Mini John Cooper Works Convertible: 0-to-100kph in 6.9 seconds (7.1 seconds with the automatic) and a top speed of 235kph (233kph);
* Mini John Cooper Works Coupe: 0-to-100kph in 6.4 seconds (6.6 seconds with the automatic) and a top speed of 240kph (238kph);
* Mini John Cooper Works Roadster: 0-to-100kph in 6.5 seconds (6.7 seconds with the automatic) and a top speed of 237kph (235kph);
* Mini John Cooper Works Clubman: 0-to-100kph in 6.8 seconds (7.0 seconds with the automatic) and a top speed of 238kph (236kph); and
* Mini John Cooper Works Countryman: 0-to-100kph in just 7.0 seconds--for both the six-speed manual gearbox and the six-speed automatic--and a top speed of 225kph (223kph with the automatic).