The construction firms responsible for the collapse of a steel girder at the Skyway Extension Project last month have been fined a total of P380,000 a day by the Department of Labor and Employment.
Confirming a report published by GMA News, EEI Corporation said the company and its subcontractors Machinery Rentrade and Bauer Foundations Philippines were ordered to pay an administrative fine of “P170,000 for every day of non-compliance” starting from receipt of the order signed by DOLE–National Capital Region director Sarah Buena Mirasol.
One person died and four people were injured when a construction crane fell onto a girder spanning two posts of the Skyway Extension segment along East Service Road in Parañaque on November 21. Steel bars fell on three vehicles and three motorcycles.
According to GMA News, which cited the signed order by Mirasol, the DOLE also ordered EEI to submit “reportorial requirements as prescribed in the Occupational Safety and Health Standards, which also impose a P30,000 fine per day until full compliance.”
In addition, EEI was ordered to pay P100,000 for “death, serious injury, or serious illness,” and required it to submit a third-party inspection certificate, of which it is fined P40,000 a day until it complies.
The subcontractors were also ordered to pay fines: P80,000 to Mayon Machinery and P130,000 to Bauer Foundations Philippines per day of non-compliance. Mayon was ordered to submit an Occupational Safety and Health Program and safety guidelines and procedure on crane operations. Bauer, meanwhile, is required to have additional fire extinguishers as well as safety and directional signage, and to submit a proof of clear access for workers and employees.
“[Kung] hindi mababayaran kasi nag-a-accumulate, nagmu-multiply yan by the day. So halimbawa, since the fine is now P380,000 upon receipt...pag nag-fail sila mabayaran upon receipt, lumipas pa ng isang araw, then another P380,000. Pag hindi pa rin on the second, on the third day, another P300k, that’s how it works,” GMA News quoted Rolly Francia, DOLE information and public service director, during a virtual press conference.
San Miguel Corporation president and COO Ramon S. Ang, whose San Miguel Infrastructure is the proponent of the Skyway Extension Project, issued an apology and promised to offer assistance to the victims. He also said the opening of Skyway has been delayed to February next year.
NOTE: This article first appeared on Esquiremag.ph. Minor edits have been made.