Just weeks after Ford showed off the performance potential of the 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine in its Focus compact car by claiming 16 world land speed records for its engine class, the small powerplant now has another feather in its cap by being named the 2012 International Engine of the Year.
"This is a fitting victory for a truly remarkable engine," said Dean Slavnich, co-chairman of the International Engine of the Year Awards and editor of Engine Technology International magazine. "For a three-cylinder to power a vehicle like the Ford Focus with such ease, proves that the future is very, very bright for the internal-combustion engine. Power, response and very good real-world fuel consumption figures are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this engine and what it offers drivers today."
Besides bagging the overall award, Ford's three-cylinder turbo engine also took home the trophies for the 'Best New Engine' and 'Sub 1.0-liter' categories.
Here are the final results of the voting for the top International Engine of the Year award:
1. Ford 999cc three-cylinder turbo (Ford Focus) - 401 points
2. Volkswagen 1.4-liter TSI Twincharger (VW Polo, Beetle, Golf, Golf Plus, Golf Cabriolet, Scirocco, Eos, Jetta, Tiguan, Sharan, Touran/Cross Touran, Passat CNG, Touran/Cross Touran CNG; Audi A1, Audi A3; Seat Ibiza FR, Alhambra, Cupra; Skoda Fabia RS) - 288 points
3. Ferrari 4.5-liter V8 (Ferrari 458 Italia, 458 Spider) - 224 points
4. GM 1.4-liter range extender (Chevrolet Volt, Opel Ampera) - 212 points
5. BMW 2.0-liter twin-turbo four-cylinder gasoline (BMW 125i, 320i, 328i, 520i, 528i, Z4 20i, Z4 sDrive 28i, X1 20i, X3 20i, X1 28i) - 199 points
6. BMW/PSA 1.6-liter turbo gasoline (Mini Cooper S, Clubman Cooper S, Countryman Cooper S, Coupe/Roadster Cooper S, Mini Cooper Works, Clubman Cooper Works, Coupe/Roadster Cooper Works; Peugeot 207, 207cc, 208, 308, 308cc, 3008, 508, 5008, 308 GTI, RCZ; Citroen DS3, C4 Picasso/Grand Picasso, C5, DS5, DS5, DS3 Racing, DS4, DS4 Racing) - 162 points
7. BMW 3.0–liter turo six-cylinder gasoline (BMW 1 Series, M Coupe, 335is, Z4 35is) - 160 points
8. BMW M 4.0-liter V8 (BMW M3 Coupe, M3 Convertible) - 128 points
9. Audi 2.5-liter five-cylinder turbo (Audi TT RS, RS3 Sportback) - 126 points