Last week, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) revealed its recommendation to implement a modified coding scheme in Metro Manila as the city shifts to general community quarantine (GCQ). We reached out to the agency to clarify regarding the said scheme’s implementation.
According to agency spokesperson Celine Pialago, the modified coding scheme will push through but it will not be implemented this week yet because the legal aspects of the recommendation are still being processed.
Pialago added that the number coding scheme—also called the Unified Vehicular Volume Reduction Program—will also remain lifted until June 5 this week. As for the coming weeks, the MMDA said it will provide further updates as necessary.
However, those in the metro must still take note that the lifting of the number coding scheme only applies for major thoroughfares such as EDSA, C5, Commonwealth Avenue, Roxas Boulevard, and Marcos Highway. Pialago has advised motorists to still check the guidelines in their areas with their respective LGUs.
Makati, in particular, is being Makati again by bringing back its coding scheme ahead of everyone else. Remember what license plates you have if you’re entering Makati beginning tomorrow, June 1, 2020.
Asked when the modified coding scheme will be implemented, “most probably by June 8,” is what MMDA general manager Jojo Garcia told us.
In the meantime, while we wait for further updates on that, you can review the government’s guidelines for private vehicles—as well as public transport—under GCQ here.