Petron Corporation is strengthening its road safety advocacy in response to the global call to action of the United Nations' Decade of Action for Road Safety by making its free safety check a year-round program to encourage motorists to make sure their vehicles are roadworthy.
Originally a part of Petron's Lakbay Alalay program, the extensive free safety check covers 38 inspection points. These are:
* Tires - tire pressure, tire wear, spare tire;
* Engine - air filter element, fan belt, power steering belt, alternator belt, air conditioner belt, upper radiator hose, lower radiator hose;
* Engine fluids - engine oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, clutch fluid, gear oil, power steering fluid, radiator coolant, window washer;
* Battery - battery fluid, battery terminals;
* Lights - headlights, signal lights, brake lights, hazard, fog lights, third brake light, light gauges;
* Underchassis - tie rod ends, upper ball joints, lower ball joints, cross joints, shock absorbers, axle boots; and
* Accessories - wiper blades, horn, basic tools, jack, early warning device.
The free safety check is being offered at 118 participating Petron stations nationwide, with 48 in Metro Manila, 16 in North Luzon, 10 in South Luzon, 29 in the Visayas, and 15 in Mindanao. Motorists only need to look out for the stations that have the "Free Safety Check" sign to avail of this service.