Fernando Alonso really wants that Triple Crown

Which is why he’s heading back to Indy in 2019
by Tom Harrison | Nov 15, 2018
PHOTO: McLaren F1

Fernando Alonso will race the Indy 500 for a second time in 2019, as he continues to chase the unofficial ‘Triple Crown’ of motorsport.

Graham Hill remains the only driver to have won Le Mans, the Monaco GP, and the Indy 500. Alonso has two of the three—Monaco (which he’s won twice) and Le Mans (which he won last year)—and will make his second assault on Indy on May 26 with McLaren Racing.

Alonso’s first go at Indy started promisingly. He qualified fifth on the grid and went on to lead the race for some 27 laps. He had a shot, but engine failure ultimately forced his retirement just 21 laps from the end.

An Alonso win would be McLaren’s fourth at Indy, but its first since 1976. McLaren CEO Zak Brown said the company “has a long and fond relationship with the Indianapolis 500 and it’s a case of unfinished business for us with Fernando. No Indy 500 is a cakewalk, it’s a massive challenge.”

Continue reading below ↓

Alonso, meanwhile, who’s retiring from Formula 1 at the end of this season, said: “I had an incredible experience at Indianapolis in 2017 and I knew in my heart of hearts I had to go back if the opportunity was there.”

NOTE: This article first appeared on TopGear.com. Minor edits have been made.

See Also

View other articles about:
Recommended Videos
PHOTO: McLaren F1
  • Quiz Results

  • TGP Rating:
    /20

    Starts at ₱

    TGP Rating:
    /20
    Starts at ₱