Have you ever paused and wondered what the best-selling automobiles of all time are? We have. In fact, we have even thought of doing our own list. But doing so is a little tricky. First, there's the issue of what sources to base your numbers on. And then there's the matter of discrepancy between sources.
But a business analysis and commentary website called 24/7 Wall St. has taken on the difficult mission and come up with its own list. Based on its research (read: consulting multiple sources), the 10 best-selling cars in history are the following (we're assuming the figures are through 2011):
1. Toyota Corolla (1966 to present) - 37.5 million units
2. Ford F-Series (1948 to present) - 35 million units
3. Volkswagen Golf (1974 to present) - 27.5 million units
4. Volkswagen Beetle (1933 to present) - 23.5 million units
5. Ford Escort (1968 to 2000) - 20 million units
6. Honda Civic (1972 to present) - 18.5 million units
7. Honda Accord (1976 to present) - 17.5 million units
8. Ford Model T (1908 to 1927) - 16.5 million units
9. Volkswagen Passat (1973 to present) - 15.5 million units
10. Chevrolet Impala (1958 to present) - 14 million units
Now you know.